Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery problem, I think

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 09:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery problem, I think

Hi all, I just joined LS1Tech and apologize if this is the wrong forum. I have a 98 Z28 that I rarely get to drive(it often sits for 2 months or more ) due to me traveling with work. Anyways, this past August,09, I came home and car wouldnt start. So I charged the battery, took the car to the local parts store and had them put it on the battery checker. They told me that there wasnt any juice getting back to battery, they couldnt say if was the alternator of not, but just that there wasnt any juice coming back. So I put the car in the shop and the mech told me that the alternator was bad. I checked back with him about a week later and he told me that that car had burnt out 3 or 4 alternators so he put a "self energizing' alternator on it. He also told me the battery(which was only 9 months old) was bad, which I thought was stange but understandable considering all times I jumped to car off since the "not starting" problem started. So, the mech put in a Interstate Megatron for me. I picked the car up with a new alternator and new battery in it. The very next day the car wouldlnt start again. I had to leave out again that day, I didnt get a chance to try any troubleshooting. I hooked the amp wire back up to the battery when I picked it up so I thought maybe the amp had a short in it and was drawing power while the car was turned off. I came home yesterday disconnected the amp wire, charged the battery and started the car. I let the car set overnight and the next day the car wouldnt start. When I try to start it, it just makes the click, click, click, click sound from the starter. What else could be drawing the battery down overnight or what else could be the problem ?

Andy