Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers and cat back question

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 02:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers and cat back question

Alright, so I'm looking at some Pacesetter LT's (race edition) so that the air and egr are deleted. I'm also looking at the pacesetter ORY with a magnaflow exhaust... will this work? Basically I want the magnaflow sound, but no cats if possible. Or would it just be better for me to go ahead and get the pacesetters with the cats and whatnot?

Forgive my newbness when it comes to all things exhaust lol.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

www.ls1sounds.com
Old 11-02-2009, 02:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This will definitely work. In fact on my T/A I ran this exact same setup with an ORY and I loved it. Not too loud until you add a nice sized cam. Ditch the cats unless you live somewhere that they inspect for them. I ran this with a 3" cutout in the I-pipe when I wanted it ridiculously loud.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are a couple videos of a friends 98 Z28 with Jet Hot LT's/ORY and Magnaflow Catback. Sounds great! The Pacesetter LT's are a great way to go, but rather than use their ORY, I would recommend texas speeds ORY with the better merge than both Jet Hot and Pacesetter's ORY's. If we had to do it over again, that'd be the way my buddy would go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2IsjxLb6d4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRIIx7msJks
Old 11-02-2009, 02:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by uLs1a
Been there a million times, was just wondering about fitment. I didn't know if the magnaflow had to have a catted Y to work or not. Guess that's the best way for me to ask that question lol.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks Mumbles. I've seen that video a few times but it was before I even had an LS1 so it didn't really register. That's exactly how I want mine to sound, and I'll take the advice on the TS ORY.

Thanks guys, that's what I needed

Also man you need to get your buddy dave to do a 20 mph punch
Old 11-02-2009, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad I could help.

Also, if you do decide you'd rather have a catted-Y, Texas Speed has a catted version of their new Y-Pipe. If you search the username "twitchtwice", he has vidoes of his Camaro with Magnaflow Catback matched to this Y with LT's. This setup sounds really good, as well.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Eh, I'm from KY and we have no emissions requirements, so I think I'm gunna go without em. But I absolutely love the sound of magnaflow though.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DukesOfHazard
Alright, so I'm looking at some Pacesetter LT's (race edition) so that the air and egr are deleted. I'm also looking at the pacesetter ORY with a magnaflow exhaust... will this work? Basically I want the magnaflow sound, but no cats if possible. Or would it just be better for me to go ahead and get the pacesetters with the cats and whatnot?

Forgive my newbness when it comes to all things exhaust lol.
Ok so heres the set up I have. I have the Pacesetter LT's with EGR and AIR hookup, Pacesetter ORY and a SLP Loud Mouth exhaust, no cats. My car sounds badass, nice and loud with a good cold start sound. If you click on this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iPUFhCDaPY you can hear what it sounds like from inside the car with the windows up. In my opinion I think Magnaflow is weak compared to SLP when it comes to sound, but then again, it comes down to personal preference.

Good luck!
Old 11-02-2009, 02:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, definitely not a fan of the LM's, plus I've heard there's clearance issues with SLP if you lower your car and I plan on it.