Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Pics of new BMR K member for APS guys with install pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pics of new BMR K member for APS guys with install pics

Hey guys ,Im just wondering if im alone with the UMI K member pushing the drivers side APS inlet hose into the steering knuckle which keeps digging into it NO MATTER WHAT I TRY TO DO? Ive even went as far as to epoxy a bearing onto the knuckle to try and use as a spacer. I finally fired my ride up today after doing the LG turbo upgrade and was haveing my wife turn the steering wheel as i tryed twisting the inlet hose ((EVERY)) way there is to keep the u joint from digging in ,with no luck. I should have just got the BMR K member like was suggested by APS I think im just going to pull this and sale it to somebody thats naturally aspirated and either get the BMR or the BMR (turbo K member) for even more clearance for this inlet hose. Ive been trying to make this k member work since the day i bought it 2 years ago because its beefy as **** when compared to the others out there,,, but today FINALLY made up my mind that its coming out. Im tired of trying to make it work and tearing up my inlet hose
Has anybody with a APS used the BMR turbo K member yet with there APS build?

Last edited by barnat; 11-19-2009 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by barnat
Hey guys ,Im just wondering if im alone with the UMI K member pushing the drivers side APS inlet hose into the steering knuckle which keeps digging into it NO MATTER WHAT I TRY TO DO? Ive even went as far as to epoxy a bearing onto the knuckle to try and use as a spacer. I finally fired my ride up today after doing the LG turbo upgrade and was haveing my wife turn the steering wheel as i tryed twisting the inlet hose ((EVERY)) way there is to keep the u joint from digging in ,with no luck. I should have just got the BMR K member like was suggested by APS I think im just going to pull this and sale it to somebody thats naturally aspirated and either get the BMR or the BMR (turbo K member) for even more clearance for this inlet hose. Ive been trying to make this k member work since the day i bought it 2 years ago because its beefy as **** when compared to the others out there,,, but today FINALLY made up my mind that its coming out. Im tired of trying to make it work and tearing up my inlet hose
Has anybody with a APS used the BMR turbo K member yet with there APS build?
I am having the same issue as you right now and I am running the recommended BMR k-member KM003. The K member still pushes the drivers side APS inlet hose into the steering knuckle digging into it, but not too bad. So far i have ran the car for two seasons now and it has not made a hole. I will have to wait and see if it finally punctures it...so far so good

Last edited by TDiVito5; 11-02-2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default K members

THATS BUMMED!
Your the first with a BMR K member that ive heard of thats haveing the same issues as me!
Old 11-02-2009, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Pics

Hey guys,From the pics ive just took for you,,, i can see that my hose is clearly being smashed almost in half LOL
The more ive looked at it, the more im leaneing towards that the steering rack mounting tabs may have be welded off towards the drivers side thus forceing the sterring rack to the drivers side, thus into my inlet hose.I hung a string from the center of my balancer (PERFECTLY) to show where it is related to my rack which im pointing to with the screrwdriver!You can also notice how much more thread i have on my passanger tie rod compared to my drivers side. Note that my car is perfectly alined too There almost like a 3/8th diffrence between the too. Shouldnt i have the same threads on each side if this rack was centered to the K member? I was wondering if someone with a stock or BMR K member would hang a string from there balancer for me to see if my rack is off and post a pic for me to show where the string is on there steering rack related to a string.?This sucks! and im thinking that these steering rack tabs just my be welded in the wrong places You will also notice from the pics,, that i allready had to lower the one tab on the passanger side 3/16th of an inch down (where its painted black) because the rack wasnt level with the K member and was interferring with my sway bar.
http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/f...0straightness/
Old 11-02-2009, 07:00 PM
Launching!

I just went and hung a string from mine, BMR K. Left to right it is in the same position as yours. Lines up with the balancer in the same spot. I have about 3/16 inch clearance between my steering knuckle and the inlet hose on mine though.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RUNINHOT
I just went and hung a string from mine, BMR K. Left to right it is in the same position as yours. Lines up with the balancer in the same spot. I have about 3/16 inch clearance between my steering knuckle and the inlet hose on mine though.
Thanks man, It must just be the K member itself then. Im all ready 75%done with haveing it out LOL I dont mess around LOL Im just going to buy the BMR .Im tired of trying to make this work with my APS. Atleast i can sell it to a non APS member and not have worry about the steering rack tabs being off now Thanks again my man for doing that for me (Really!)
Old 11-03-2009, 10:28 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

barnat. you have two guys with bmr k-members. ones says it works. one says it hits.

that is a 50-50 chance yours will work. i would just talk to ryan at UMI and see if there rack botls are wrong. if so just get new UMI.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also I would think a turbo k-member would definately screw things up, they are totally different.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:13 AM
8 Second Club

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by black98ws6ta
Also I would think a turbo k-member would definately screw things up, they are totally different.
Correct. The BMR Turbo K Member is meant for single kits that need clearance for a big dp.
APS requires the plain vanilla K Member. KM003 is the part number.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:05 PM
Banned

^^^ Ag does your inlet tubes hit with your BMR k-member?
Old 11-03-2009, 02:22 PM
8 Second Club

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

no, it is close but no rubbing. I do have a manual rack so I don't know if that makes a difference
Old 11-03-2009, 06:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

a band style exhaust clamp will wrap around it keeping it from being damaged.... i also picked up a set of the 'heavy duty' inlet pipes from APS incase it ever does rub through.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Big_Bird_WS6
barnat. you have two guys with bmr k-members. ones says it works. one says it hits.

that is a 50-50 chance yours will work. i would just talk to ryan at UMI and see if there rack botls are wrong. if so just get new UMI.
The one guy said his is (BARELY) touching ,,,,where as my hose is almost smashed half shut LOL and dont get me wrong,, this K member is a bad *** beefy mother ****** LOL Its just where the front UMI bend starts on the k member is where i need it to be straight or over more,, like the BMR ones are. Im waiting to talk to lee at BMR and see if they can make me a regular k member with the straight pieces in the back with the regular bracing in the same postion but just have them put the (bent turbo k members tubes) JUST IN THE FRONT of it ,,,verses the front and back. The reason is, on the BMR turbo k members,,, they have to relocate the back bracing tubes to accomadate the bends in the side tubes which interfers with our kits,and is why Lee said they wont work for us.I think i can get away with just having the bent turbo tubes put in the fronts of there regular K member and even have more room up there for the APS hoses .Ill let you guys know whats going on with this idea i have for a slightly modified BMR k member that shouldnt even come close to touching the APS inklet hoses now LOL

Last edited by barnat; 11-05-2009 at 04:39 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MosesMcgregor
a band style exhaust clamp will wrap around it keeping it from being damaged.... i also picked up a set of the 'heavy duty' inlet pipes from APS incase it ever does rub through.
The reinforces hoses actually will push out even more into the steering knuckle.This is why i noticed it more since installing my renforced APS hoses
Old 11-03-2009, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MosesMcgregor
That band clamp idea ,,,,was mine a few years ago LOL and only works with the stock APS hoses and will not work with the reinforces hoses. Trust me! I tryed it on my reinforces hoses.They just dont give much man to get em in there .and i allready have a hole rubbed threw my reiforced hose where the metal is actually showing allready
http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/f.../Torque%20arm/

Last edited by barnat; 11-03-2009 at 08:36 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:51 PM
Launching!

Why dont you just have your umi one modifided a small amount.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RUNINHOT
Why dont you just have your umi one modifided a small amount.
Have you ever seen a UMI K member ?There more or less 2 full K members welded together LOL Everything is like double tubed !It be really hard to try and cut and reweld one up and it end up being as strong as it was originally. I thought about it for like 5 secounds LOL Till you look at it
Old 11-04-2009, 10:57 AM
Banned

damit i have a UMI and i dont want to cange it.

i think i am just going to modify my compresser side and put a flange on it. and make a solid tube setup.

of try and stick a solid tube in there.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by barnat
That band clamp idea ,,,,was mine a few years ago LOL and only works with the stock APS hoses and will not work with the reinforces hoses. Trust me! I tryed it on my reinforces hoses.They just dont give much man to get em in there .and i allready have a hole rubbed threw my reiforced hose where the metal is actually showing allready
http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/f.../Torque%20arm/
Mine is reinforced (have accadently run 14 psi without issue, thank god my motor didnt esplode!). To protect the hose from the steering knuckle i couldnt wrap the band clamp all the way around, i cut the ends off and zip-tied it to the side where it rubs. It has stayed in place. The only thing is to be careful not to cut the hose with the sharp edges of the trimmed band clamp.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Modified BMR K member

Well,I just got talking with Lee from BMR and hes going to see about taking a regular K member ((thats recomended for the APS)) and build it in the jig without actually putting in and welding the front tubes ((that pushes our inlet hoses into the knuckle)),,,and put it into the turbo K member jig to weld in the ((bent)) turbo front tubes, which i think this will solve this problem once and for all for us and should work with any other custom twin turbo kits out there that need that space in there for inlet hoses. This is also going to be great for those that have or are thinking of upgrading to the reinforced hoses.Its really not that big of a job to change out the k member either guys with the engine in,, just support the engine oil pan with a jack stand and some wood blocks and pull it .
If any of you are intrested in one of these slightly modified BMR K members ?Give Lee a call and let him know your also intrested !As the more guys that have intrest,,, the better ther odds he'll do this for us!

Quick Reply: Pics of new BMR K member for APS guys with install pics