Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sweet Thunder too loud?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 05:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sweet Thunder too loud?

I am wanting to put long tubes, TSP 3" x pipe and sweet thunders on my 98 ss. I was looking into getting the system with dynomax bullets for the better flow but I'm also thinking the bullets will be a lot louder than the sweet thunders since they are straight through. This is exactly what I don't want because of the neighbors. And by the way my car isn't cammed. I have read though that the sweet thunders sound better which I want. Does anyone have any knowledge on the decibels of these two mufflers? Thanks
Old 11-02-2009, 05:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

I have never heard them in person to my knowledge so can't tell you how loud they are but they sure sound good.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had them with cats and they sounded great. i havent heard them in person without cats so i couldnt tell you.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:25 PM
On The Tree

I recently ordered and recived my TSP true dual exhaust system and I went with the moroso spiral flows. I ask TSP about the sound difference between bullets, sweet thunders and spiral flows and they told me that there isnt much difference between the sweet thunders and the bullets. but the spiral flows were the most quite but by no means were they actually quiet lol. i also am expecting delivery of my TSP 1" 7/8 long tube's in tomorrow. Im hoping to have them installed this weekend and i will post a video.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sweet Thunders are still pretty much straight through. Yes, they are baffled, but not going to be much different than bullets. Now, I have to say that I have the TSP duals with the Sweet Thunders and I love the sound. Since getting it extended out the back, under the axle, I really love the sound.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:52 AM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

You guys need to post vids for reference
Old 11-03-2009, 01:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The sweet thunders are very mellow and deep with stock cam. If your running full exhaust with no cats you will enjoy the way it sounds. Go with a descent cam and or more work and it will get to loud. I had them on my car personally.

It was way to loud for me when I finished my setup so I took them off.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hate to say it but it seems like you need to get a Magnaflow CB. That way it has a nice little rumble and then when you go WOT it screams.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by thewholefnshow1
Hate to say it but it seems like you need to get a Magnaflow CB. That way it has a nice little rumble and then when you go WOT it screams.
i considered magnaflow but I want true duals. the sound of rasp is like someone who shouldn't have auditioned for American Idol lol it sounds like ****. LT's and ory= rasp where I have been reading LT's and ORX = awesome sound!
Old 11-05-2009, 01:47 AM
TECH Resident

I have Hooker 1 3/4" with TSP true duals with Dynomax bullets that I should hopefully be putting on this weekend. I really wanted the Sweet Thunders, but I came across the TSP TD with Dynomax BNIB from a guy who decided not to use them after he got them.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:23 AM
12 Second Club

I have a catted y, cutout, and magnaflow and have 0 rasp even with the cutot open. I have videos in my sig if you want to hear it
Old 11-12-2009, 08:22 AM
TECH Resident

I have LT and the Sweet Thunders. It is definitely loud when you get on it. Actually, it SCREAMS at WOT and it sounds amazing. Otherwise just cruising around I don't find it to be any louder than my loudmouth w/ stock manifolds was. Your neighbors will be able to hear you come in at night.. but you quickly figure out how to drive slow and quiet(ish).
Old 11-12-2009, 05:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by shiv15
I have LT and the Sweet Thunders. It is definitely loud when you get on it. Actually, it SCREAMS at WOT and it sounds amazing. Otherwise just cruising around I don't find it to be any louder than my loudmouth w/ stock manifolds was. Your neighbors will be able to hear you come in at night.. but you quickly figure out how to drive slow and quiet(ish).
did you have your stock catted y pipe on with the stock manifolds? my car has stock manifolds and stock catted y pipe right now with a cut out and i want it louder. way to quiet for me.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:20 PM
11 Second Club

Dynomax bullets are MUCH quieter than the sweet thunders. I had sweet thunders and put the dynomax bullets in there to quiet it down and it did just that. I have a stock ls1 with long tubes and dual 3" all the way back with an x pipe

Heres videos of both

Sweet thunders (sound awsome but just way too loud for the street and I wanted loud)
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/L...der_188711.htm
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/L...der_635347.htm

Finally vids of the car rolling and mind you I never went WOT in this vid either despite all the noise

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/L...ort_192118.htm

Dynomax bullets (This was a WOT pass)
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/F...the_645907.htm
Old 11-12-2009, 06:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sciff5
Dynomax bullets are MUCH quieter than the sweet thunders. I had sweet thunders and put the dynomax bullets in there to quiet it down and it did just that. I have a stock ls1 with long tubes and dual 3" all the way back with an x pipe

Heres videos of both

Sweet thunders (sound awsome but just way too loud for the street and I wanted loud)
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/L...der_188711.htm
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/L...der_635347.htm

Finally vids of the car rolling and mind you I never went WOT in this vid either despite all the noise

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/L...ort_192118.htm

Dynomax bullets (This was a WOT pass)
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/F...the_645907.htm
did you go with longer dynomax bullets compared to the sweet thunders? thats weird to think a sweet thunder muffler would be louder since its going from a 3" pipe to a 2.5" pipe inside plus its kinda chambered. where as the bullet is straight through. and by the way your car sounded great with those sweet thunders! the bullets sounded good as well just didn't care for the popping on the deceleration.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:08 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fast 95 Z28
did you go with longer dynomax bullets compared to the sweet thunders? thats weird to think a sweet thunder muffler would be louder since its going from a 3" pipe to a 2.5" pipe inside plus its kinda chambered. where as the bullet is straight through. and by the way your car sounded great with those sweet thunders! the bullets sounded good as well just didn't care for the popping on the deceleration.
I think that had more to do with the fact the car still wasnt 100% at the time (dropping cylinders intermittently because of a loose coil pack connector on one side, running really rich ect)

Both the dynomax and the sweet thunders are the shorter versions. I think both are around 16/18" I did hear the longer the version you go with the more mellow and quiet it is, which makes sense. Both are straight through. The dynomax bullets actually have a larger baffling chamber, just the inner tube is perfectly smooth and perforated (like a glass pack) the sweet thunders are also straight through with some weird looking triangle shaped things jutting out from the inside of the pipe and there is no real chambering and yes it necks down half an inch inside the sweet thunders.

Dynomax is deff quieter though given similar size
Old 11-22-2009, 01:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Fast 95 Z28
did you have your stock catted y pipe on with the stock manifolds? my car has stock manifolds and stock catted y pipe right now with a cut out and i want it louder. way to quiet for me.
no thats with lpp headers
Old 12-09-2009, 01:49 PM
Teching In

I had them on my 2001 z28 with long tube pace setters and no cats, h-pipe dumped....and they are really loud! They sound awesome but its like a nascar no joke! Its INSANE!!!
Old 12-09-2009, 01:57 PM
12 Second Club

I have both. Since your not a cam car either one will be fairly mellow until full throttle. The dynomax's to sound pretty close to open headers and thats what the sound clip in my sig is. I have since changed to sweet thunders and they are not near as loud and have a "flowmaster 40's" sound to them. Soon as you get a cam both will **** your neighbors off.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:29 PM
Teching In

I have the TSP-X with sweet thunder's on mine and I absolutely love the sound of it. Yes it is loud, but man does it sound good. I get nothing but compliments on it. If you get sweet thunders, you wont be dissapointed.

Quick Reply: Sweet Thunder too loud?