Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bumpstop/Suspension Travel Help (Replace Stock Stops for Konis?)

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 06:09 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bumpstop/Suspension Travel Help (Replace Stock Stops for Konis?)

Koni # 70.34.53.000.0 is what I'm looking at. 16-20mm Rod Dia.; 55mm Length; Progressive Soft.

I'm on modified stock springs and ride height is at 26.5" front, 26.75" rear. Using Bilstein shocks and struts. I want to modify or replace the bumpstops all around to regain some suspension travel and control (will already be modifying the upper mount in the front to get that extra travel).

If I used the Koni bumpstops all around (replace front, ditch factory rears and mount the Koni bumps on the Bilstein shocks) would that work?

If I used the Konis up front and trimmed the stock rear bumpstops half an inch (and reshaped to keep the taper) would that be a better option than going shaft-mounted bumpstop in the rear?

Or is the 55mm too long for the front and/or rear, and would the 40mm Koni be a better option for either?

I've searched and searched and searched, and even PMed JasonWW, but I'm not getting any answers. The last thing I want to do is start changing stuff out and hammer the hell out of the shocks by bottoming them out, but I do want to maximize my travel and control, and replacing the stock stops seems like the best option from what I can tell.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Use the 40mm koni BS up front, and if your removing the factory rear bumpstops use the 55mm koni BS on the rear shocks. You will want some type of B.S. cup and a possibly a Bilstein shock end cap;for the rear.

pm sent.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:32 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Thanks for the PM and the advice 99. Very much appreciated.

How do you feel about the rear BS? Keep the stocker, cut it down, and reshape it? Or convert over to the 55mm Koni shaft mount BS? Obviously ride is important here, but at the same time I don't want to compromise the shock.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Lightbulb

Remove the stockers, and put the 55mm koni BS in. But hang onto the stockers in case you want to put them back in at some later date.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:47 AM
TECH Junkie

any links to these....

doing shocks/springs soon. would like to see what my options are for my worn out rear BSs
Old 11-03-2009, 02:37 PM
TECH Junkie

I think trackbird from this site and frrax had tried this before on the rear shocks and bottomed out and broke his shocks. Not sure what exact combo of everything he had... I'd do a search on it.

Quick Reply: Bumpstop/Suspension Travel Help (Replace Stock Stops for Konis?)