Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Oil out of dipstick tube question

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 08:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil out of dipstick tube question

The story: Running down the highway with a couple of bikes. Was on 10 psi in the top of 4th gear around 5200-5800 rpm. Silicone boot blew apart and sounded like a bomb at intake past MAF. Engine rpm reached 6200 instantly strangly. Immediately threw it into N and coasted to my exit. Milked it to the house where I replaced the boot. Started it up and test drove and all seemed fine. Sat over the weekend and then drove to work on Monday. Pulled up to the shop and shut it off and then noticed a burning oil smell and found that it had pushed oil out upon shut off of engine.

Any clues? I figured it would push out during driving but not upon shutting the eng. down. First time I have ever experienced this issue on this vehicle. Possible broken ringland? PCV?

Mods are STS w/t67, 42inj, STS pcv crap, and rest in sig.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt if you broke a ringland in this - the sudden loss of a connection between your MAF and motor would make your motor go very rich. I'd check the plugs, make sure the boot blowing up didn't hurt any wires or anything, and check your PCV for damage. They can get damaged by a backfire, but probably not by this (unless this was an actual backfire). It is possible that you had some oil blowing around during this incident and it took a little while to accumulate and smoke. Check your dipstick seal too.

I hope it turns out to be minor.

Jim
Old 11-02-2009, 10:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was my first thought was checking plugs. I know the STS pcv set up is crappy but I have never had an issue besides under decel and coming to a stop I would smell crankcase vapors. I have read numerous PCV setups have have yet to decide on what to try. I know a catch can of some sort is probably in order but, vented or non, what lines running where(i.e. bot valve covers to can etc...)

The engine seems to run fine besides the oil issue. Always had a little compressor surge or WG chatter when the turbo is cold but lessens once full temp.

I'll check plugs, compression, and possible leak down this weekend just as a precaution. It just kind of baffled me about pushing oil when shutting off. I'm highly curious to see if it will duplicate.

Just need to bide my time on this engine till I have the 408 completed.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A quick way to check for a brocken ring is to, Pull the dip stick out and if it blows smoke out when u rev it then its toast. If it sucks it back in ur good. There will be a little mist out at Idle thats what ur looking at. I bet that switch valve from sts is going out or that little filter is full of oil. I hated that thing.