Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Icing their LS1/LS6 intake?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anyone Icing their LS1/LS6 intake?

Probably a dumb question, but a sponser did a dyno pull on a car and the numbers were pretty high. The sponser explained that it was a normal pull like, "no bag of ice on the intake or anything".

So that got me thinking, is anyone out there icing their LS1 or LS6 intake manifolds. I can obviously see the benifits of icing a metal intake but wasn't sure it would help with the plastic GM manifolds. If it will help, I'm gonna take a bag of ice with me when I go race some friends next weekend and have it sit on my LS6 intake between races.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:04 PM
TECH Addict

If you ask me getting the engine itself cool and keeping it cool is a better idea.

You can put ice on the intake and it will help but it is still absorbing heat from the motor and will continue to once you pull the ice... By the time you are ready to race again I am sure the intake will have the heat back in it.....

If it was me I would just invest in a good fan and or electric water pump to cool the motor.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
If you ask me getting the engine itself cool and keeping it cool is a better idea.

You can put ice on the intake and it will help but it is still absorbing heat from the motor and will continue to once you pull the ice... By the time you are ready to race again I am sure the intake will have the heat back in it.....

If it was me I would just invest in a good fan and or electric water pump to cool the motor.
Too cool of a motor can be dangerous though at a certain point. Also different motors like different conditions, my motor loses a good bit of power if the temperature falls below 200*.

Juiced, icing down the intake does help but nothing tremendously. I have done it before a few years ago trying to get the best ET possible at a test and tune but I only saw a few hundredths gain. If you do try this, you will want to watch that bag of ice because the longer it sits on the intake the more the ice melts and the bag will sweat, and if you leave it unattended too long you will have a very wet motor and possibly some issues from some electrical connections getting soaked...
Old 11-02-2009, 09:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 358chevycamaro
Too cool of a motor can be dangerous though at a certain point. Also different motors like different conditions, my motor loses a good bit of power if the temperature falls below 200*.

Juiced, icing down the intake does help but nothing tremendously. I have done it before a few years ago trying to get the best ET possible at a test and tune but I only saw a few hundredths gain. If you do try this, you will want to watch that bag of ice because the longer it sits on the intake the more the ice melts and the bag will sweat, and if you leave it unattended too long you will have a very wet motor and possibly some issues from some electrical connections getting soaked...
Never said it helps alot just said it helps.

I have heard of some cars liking the warmers temps, I hear VIPER's like to run hot... with the cars that like to run cool I am not talking about runing ice threw the motor, if you go threw the traps at 180 or so degreed you can get it pretty cool and by the time you are staged the car will be back to 160 or so depending on what t stat you have... It is the oil temp that you want to keep up. I have heard of NASCAR teams putting hot oil into an engine on the dyno and going WOT after the oil circulates....... saves time on the dyno....

Oil temp is what you want. The whole point to letting an engine warm up is to get the oil warm/hot....
Old 11-02-2009, 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oil temp is what you want. The whole point to letting an engine warm up is to get the oil warm/hot....
Exactly right.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why don't they make an intercooler for naturally aspirated cars? Wouldn't it help to have icey cold air sucked into the engine?
Old 11-03-2009, 08:15 AM
12 Second Club

Because it's extreamly hard to cool ambient temperature air with ambient temperature air.

The only way I can think of to significantly cool the air would be to run it past an A/c coil, but then you have that parasitic loss from the a/c compressor robbing you af the hp you're gaining. You could use an ice water/air intercooler but then you add weight and how do you keep the water cold for very long?

Bottom line on a normally asperated car the cost/benefit ratio isn't there.

Last edited by 91RS383; 11-03-2009 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:17 AM
12 Second Club

To a degree... My car runs best when warm so that the pcm goes into closed loop operation. I don't have it tuned to run cooler.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 91RS383
Because it's extreamly hard to cool ambient temperature air with ambient temperature air.

The only way i can thimk of to significantly cool the air would be to run it past an A/c coil, but then you have that parasitic loss from the a/c compressor robbing you af the hp you're gaining. You could use an ice water/air intercooler but then you add weight and how do you keep the water cold for very long?

Bottom line on a normally asperated car the cost/benefit ratio isn't there.
You would run a heat exchanger with a fan on it, with a decent sized reservoir. The added weight would cancel out the added hp gains, which would probably be minimal anyways. If this worked on a NA car, then you would see a lot of people doing it... But it doesn't.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Juicy J
You would run a heat exchanger with a fan on it, with a decent sized reservoir. The added weight would cancel out the added hp gains, which would probably be minimal anyways. If this worked on a NA car, then you would see a lot of people doing it... But it doesn't.
Ah ok, that makes sense. I knew if it was possible to cool the air down it would be very minimal. So its definitely gonna be cancelled out right away by the added weight. Thanks guys.

I'll race my brother like 2 times from a roll, then Ice the intake for a while and do another two races and see if it gains anything.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
Ah ok, that makes sense. I knew if it was possible to cool the air down it would be very minimal. So its definitely gonna be cancelled out right away by the added weight. Thanks guys.

I'll race my brother like 2 times from a roll, then Ice the intake for a while and do another two races and see if it gains anything.
Most people have small put powerfull fans that they blow onto the motor.. I think some of them even pluf into the cig lighter...
Old 11-03-2009, 03:04 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
Probably a dumb question, but a sponser did a dyno pull on a car and the numbers were pretty high. The sponser explained that it was a normal pull like, "no bag of ice on the intake or anything".

So that got me thinking, is anyone out there icing their LS1 or LS6 intake manifolds. I can obviously see the benifits of icing a metal intake but wasn't sure it would help with the plastic GM manifolds. If it will help, I'm gonna take a bag of ice with me when I go race some friends next weekend and have it sit on my LS6 intake between races.
I moved the IAT probe out of the airbox and into the front of the car. Picked up 1.5 to 2 tenths.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bracketracerZ28
I moved the IAT probe out of the airbox and into the front of the car. Picked up 1.5 to 2 tenths.
Where did you put it? Pics would be awesome.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:44 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by w3s1c0a5t
Where did you put it? Pics would be awesome.
there is a thread in PCM/Diagnostics called SD tuning for Bracket racing. Towards the end a guy showed me where to buy the extension and put a link to pics.

Basically, I hang mine behind the foam block between the radiator and bumper. Gives me ambient temp throughout the whole quarter mile.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:30 PM
12 Second Club

^ I'll look that up, thanks!

Linky...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagn...et-racing.html

Last edited by 91RS383; 11-03-2009 at 04:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone Icing their LS1/LS6 intake?