Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

putting the car motor in the truck

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 09:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default putting the car motor in the truck

so, im building a 6.0 for the car over winter and to make myself do it faster( and to have some fun) im putting the ls1 in my truck. i will be swapping in the ls6 cam in the ls1 instead of the hotcam and replaceing the lifters cause the car bent a couple pushrods. as well as gasket matching the heads. any other ideas for some cheap extra hp? i was thinking of machining the heads but how much? also would geting longer pushrods gain any power? i know the ls6 has a smaller base circle but dont know how much lift is actually lost, any suggestions.

Last edited by AJK381; 11-02-2009 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1) LS6 cam could cost cost you some torque below 3,000 rpm. Your gears help to offset that, but other cams might give you power in range you can better use.

2) Gasket matching will gain you very little, and could cost you some veloicity if you get overzealous with the grinder. If you want to work on the heads, there are better places to focus your efforts.

3) Milling the heads for some extra compression is a good idea, but will also be dependant on your camshaft selection and available octane.

4) The smaller base circle leaves a larger cam lobe, so you are not "losing" any lift.

5) Proper pushrod length is determined by the any milling, base circle diameter, gasket thickness and the height of your valve stems. Longer pushrods will not make you any more power, unless the stock ones were flexing horribly.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:41 PM
Staging Lane

i have the ls6 cam in the 5.3 now and it does fine pulling etc.. and i dont want to have to buy another cam thats why im just guna keep that.
i was just looking at the ports compaired to the actual used area, ive ported before so ill probably to more then just a gasket match.
we have 93 here and thats what it is tuned for now but will be getting retuned after engine anyway.
i wasnt sure about the rods cause evryone always talks about having to get longer ones for using the ls6 cam, ive been running it on stock ones with like 25k so far without problems, but if that were the case wouldnt milling justy make up for it? so if its 10 to 1 how much can i take off and still run 93?
Old 11-02-2009, 10:51 PM
Staging Lane

oh and i forgot to mention the truck is getting long tubes and im doing an x-pipe on it too.