Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a4 trans flush

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 11:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a4 trans flush

hey guys i have an a4 o2 ss and wanted to do a trans flush and just wanted to know what i needed also how many bottle of fluid and what else i need ..if any one can help wit step by step on how to do it it will help so much really so please ....
Old 11-03-2009, 01:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by camaroboy14
hey guys i have an a4 o2 ss and wanted to do a trans flush and just wanted to know what i needed also how many bottle of fluid and what else i need ..if any one can help wit step by step on how to do it it will help so much really so please ....
the proper way to do a trans flush is to have a machine. doing it by dropping the pan doesnt even get half of the old fluid out of the tranny
Old 11-03-2009, 03:58 AM
On The Tree

its to my understanding that you can only change like 2quarts at a time. evidently some internals of the transmission are basically suspended in the atf...if you drain all of it, they fall and ur fked. soo deff going to take more atf than what is just needed to fill the tranny.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:28 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
the proper way to do a trans flush is to have a machine. doing it by dropping the pan doesnt even get half of the old fluid out of the tranny
If you have it flushed with a machine you need to make sure the shop will replace the filter as well. Most shops do not drop the pan. It's like changing your engine oil but not the filter.

When I do my own filter swap I like to measure how much oil I got out and caught in the pan. Then put just that much back in. Drive it until it's warm, check the level and top off as necissary.

You need to wait 30 min between adding fluid and checking the level so that the oil gets off the dipstick tube.

Lastly, overfilling the transmission has the same negative side effects as underfilling so add fluid in small quantities.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:00 AM

I've heard of this method before, so did a quick search and found this off a truck site. They call it a cooler flush? Disconnect the tranny lines at the cooler.

Anyone done it this way? Opinions?

"You can probably do a better flush than they do with a machine. First if you can you should change the ATF in the pan. Hopefully you have a drain plug. This will make for the least mixing of old and new fluid. Fill the trans with the amount you drained.

Then remove the return line and point it into a clear gallon container. You may need to extend the return line with some clear hose and a connector. Then start engine and wait for 2 QTs to pump out. It will probably pump out about 1 QT/minute.
Then add 2 QTs and do it again until the fluid coming out looks like new fluid or until you have gone through the total capacity (its listed on Amsoil website).

Then add what is needed to get a good reading on dipstick.

An alternative some people use is to pour in new ATF while doing the flush, in some vehicles you can add it at same rate it gets pumped out, but in other vehicles you can not add it fast enough.

If my vehicle had a small trans pan (like 2 QTs), I would drain the pan and refill the pan with an extra QT so I could pump out 2 QTs at a time without emptying the pan.

When you are done plan some extra time to allow for all the ATF to run down the dipstick tube so you can get a good reading and properly fill the trans. "
Old 11-03-2009, 11:12 AM
12 Second Club

I've done this, and it seems to work just fine. I have a coupling in the line to my auxilliary cooler in order to make this easier. Do this after you change the filter in the pan.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Auto trans dont need to be flushed with normal maintenance. I very recently had a 4l60e out of the car flipped every which way until it was dry. It took exactly 2 gallons 2 quarts to fill the entire tranny, Yank converter, lines, and big B+M cooler. Normal pan/filter swap is prolly only gonna get 1 gallon of old fluid out. Thats plenty when done regularily.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:29 PM
12 Second Club

i agree with 01ss, ive only heard negative things when people do flushes.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:18 PM
TECH Resident

Default k

ok so i will take it to a shop also any things to look for when i get it done to make sure they do when i get it done
Old 11-04-2009, 12:09 AM
Staging Lane

Everybody knows that opinions are like ********, everyone has one...so here's my two cents. I work for a quick lube shop myself and the machine is a very effective way to service the transmission, and this is coming from experience with thousands of vehicles of various makes and models. I have people that have been coming through for years maintaining the car with us and obviously they are having zero issues. The machine quickly does the job and does a 99% fluid exchange. To really do the job right though IMO, you want to change the trans filter as well, especially if the vehicle is driven hard. The makers of the tranny machine claim it is not necessary to change the filter, as the machine cleans the debris out of it and removes it, but being the slight bit of a perfectionist I am, I will disagree with that one.