Thank you LMR!

Old 11-03-2009, 10:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thank you LMR!

Here's a shoutout to LMR. I had my motor built by a guy in virginia who over-charged me, half-assed the build, and took over a year to complete it. It dyno'd at 450 RWHP which I was happy with (the only thing I was happy with) but after I got it back it kept burning up alternators. I went thru 7 alternators and was totally mystified by it. I couldn't figure it out myself so i took it to 3 different mechanics who all told me it was an issue with the computer and claimed to "fix" it, but no such luck. Heard about LMR and decided to take it there and they fixed it for real. They also dyno tuned it and found an extra 45hp hidden in there. So I'm a happy camper. Thanks LMR!
Old 11-03-2009, 11:21 AM
TECH Regular

They got 45hp out of your alternator?
Old 11-03-2009, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

LMR is the way to go, they always take care of me.

i seen your car up there the other day, looks sick man. love the color. what is it?
Old 11-03-2009, 12:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Randy_S
They got 45hp out of your alternator?
Lol yeah it's a horsepower induction alternator. No I just got sub-par tune from the other guy I guess and they know how to do a better tune. I really don't know why.

Originally Posted by nassty00
LMR is the way to go, they always take care of me.

i seen your car up there the other day, looks sick man. love the color. what is it?
Thanks! It's Medium Blue Metallic, factory corvette color that GM sprayed on a couple hundred firebirds back in '99. I lucked out and found one. BTW, what do you drive? maybe I saw yours.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:19 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by tuna10985
Here's a shoutout to LMR. I had my motor built by a guy in virginia who over-charged me, half-assed the build, and took over a year to complete it. It dyno'd at 450 RWHP which I was happy with (the only thing I was happy with) but after I got it back it kept burning up alternators. I went thru 7 alternators and was totally mystified by it. I couldn't figure it out myself so i took it to 3 different mechanics who all told me it was an issue with the computer and claimed to "fix" it, but no such luck. Heard about LMR and decided to take it there and they fixed it for real. They also dyno tuned it and found an extra 45hp hidden in there. So I'm a happy camper. Thanks LMR!

I saw your car on the dyno when i was there. It sounded great.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tuna10985
Lol yeah it's a horsepower induction alternator. No I just got sub-par tune from the other guy I guess and they know how to do a better tune. I really don't know why.

Thanks! It's Medium Blue Metallic, factory corvette color that GM sprayed on a couple hundred firebirds back in '99. I lucked out and found one. BTW, what do you drive? maybe I saw yours.
45hp missing from a sub-par tune???
Old 11-04-2009, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

thats cool, didn't think it was a factory color

i had the grey ss that was there
Old 11-04-2009, 03:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Linxs
I saw your car on the dyno when i was there. It sounded great.
Thanks! That's due in part to the borla exhaust that for some reason completely bypasses the muffler (not complaining, but I don't see how that's legal) and the lack of cats (which I know isn't legal).
Originally Posted by SLOC5LS6
45hp missing from a sub-par tune???
Yeah. I have no other explanation. You would have had to see the way the guy returned my car to me to understand. he couldn't find an air box to fit the new intake so he put pantyhose over it. wrong dipstick, forgot to put cruise control cable back on, o2 sensors were bad, computer was not mounted/flopping around under the hood, drilled holes in the butterly valve, half the bolts not tightened, no cats on it, etc... Basically every time I go under the hood I find something else that I hadn't seen before, so following this trend through, I imagine that he just took some tune that he had saved from some other car and loaded it into mine without taking the time to make it work properly. I don't really know how that stuff works so that's all I can speculate.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:19 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good deal for you! What did they say was causing you to keep killing the altenator's?
Old 11-04-2009, 06:00 PM
Teching In

Corroded positive battery cable. So simple, I didn't believe it at first. But sure enough, that fixed it. It didn't look that bad to me & had no idea that would cause an alternator to go out, but you learn something new every day. They said the corrosion causes added resistance which overloads the alternator.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:50 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I had seen that on my old 90 model truck I used to have cable looked good on the outside, but when I cut the insulation away it was corroded pretty bad, but I haven't ever seen that on the F-bodies yet. But its time they are old now lol!
Old 11-04-2009, 09:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Inspector12
Yeah I had seen that on my old 90 model truck I used to have cable looked good on the outside, but when I cut the insulation away it was corroded pretty bad, but I haven't ever seen that on the F-bodies yet. But its time they are old now lol!
NOOOOO!!!! Don't say that! I live in denial and pretend that my car never ages. I can't bear to think of it aging ungracefully. Too much plastic, it won't last like the old classics. Sorry thing is, when I bought it, it was the newest cars I had ever owned. too bad we'll never see a newer one.

Search this Thread