Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Did I ruin my Lower Ball Joint

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 06:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Did I ruin my Lower Ball Joint

Well I ordered the PST rebuild kit for my 99 SS. Got everything replaced and when I went to put the car back together I wasn't sure if I pressed in the Lower Ball Joints correctly. I believe the PST kit uses MOOG lower ball joints? So do you press the Ball joints back in with the boot attached or do you press in the ball joint and the put the boot on top of the lower control arm? It looked to me like I needed to press in it boot and all so when I ended up pressing it back out to see if that is the way it wentl I pressed it out using the stud and now that ball joint feels alot looser than the other? Did I ruin it by pressing it out by the stud? And are they pressed in boot and all or by itself and then put the boot on? I can take pics if need be.. Any advice?

Thanks.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:32 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just did AFCO lower ball joints, and I pressed them in boot and all. The boot was a smaller diameter than the splined part that goes in the a-arm, so it didn't make any difference on mine.

If you pressed it out by the stud, I dunno...is it now looser than it was before, or did you even know what it felt like before? I guess to better ask the question, are you comparing it only to the other side ball joint and not itself before you pressed it out?
Old 11-03-2009, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would not press it in by the stud.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:54 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I just did AFCO lower ball joints, and I pressed them in boot and all. The boot was a smaller diameter than the splined part that goes in the a-arm, so it didn't make any difference on mine.

If you pressed it out by the stud, I dunno...is it now looser than it was before, or did you even know what it felt like before? I guess to better ask the question, are you comparing it only to the other side ball joint and not itself before you pressed it out?
Well they both were really tight. so yes it is different than it was before. The boot on mine is the same diameter as the splined part, so after looking at them again it would be a really tight fit and plus i don't think it would seat properly any how. I went ahead and installed the other side with the boot on top I am pretty sure that is the way it goes on. The steering knuckle should press the boot down enough to keep debris out of there plus found some other pictures on line and they just sit on top of the lower control arm. Will probably just go ahead and get another ball joint. can't bring myself to install it even though it might still be ok. Want both sides to be as close to the same as possible. Peace of mind, if you know what I mean..
Old 11-04-2009, 08:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MeentSS02

Can you notice a difference with those AFCO's? I seen them in JEGS and was wondering if they were any good/tell a performance difference.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:44 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ShortChevy
Can you notice a difference with those AFCO's? I seen them in JEGS and was wondering if they were any good/tell a performance difference.
I couldn't tell a difference at all - I only replaced the stockers because they had torn dust boots, and I couldn't verify how long they had been torn. I was in the middle of a front spring/shock swap anyways, so it was a good time to do them.

They only make the low friction ones for the bottom...you can only get regular ball joints for the uppers (I went with Moog for those). That might be part of the reason why I can't really tell anything.

Quick Reply: Did I ruin my Lower Ball Joint