Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with VSS

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 12:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with VSS

The car drove just fine when we first finished. Down the road at like the fourth stop sign it all of a sudden started messing up. You have to get the car up to like 3000-3500 RPM before it starts to crawl. I added fluid to the car and then the next morning took it for a drive. Drove just fine till I got to another city and started the same thing. I checked the vehicle speed sensor and it had melted through. Replaced that, and everything was fine. Now it's driving weird again. I have no idea whats happening. It won't lock up, gotta take the car up to 3000-3500 before it starts to crawl, anyone have any tips? It doesn't appear I'm leaking any trans fluid but it does feel like MAYBE one of the tranny cooler lines came out of the tranny.

Last edited by BlackWS602; 12-09-2003 at 11:18 AM.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:55 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

if a trans line came out of the tranny you'd be leaking fluid.

How is your fluid level?

If your VSS is non-functional the trans will just put itself in 4'th gear I believe. If thats the case it would take a lot of RPM to get the car to move.
Old 12-09-2003, 10:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the VSS is non-functional you'll have 2nd an 3rd only with no converter lockup best I recall.

"I checked the vehicle speed sensor and it had melted through. Replaced that, and everything was fine. Now it's driving weird again."

Sounds like you fried it again.
Old 12-09-2003, 10:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Awesome to hear. The VSS has just been rigged up till my new 2 pin weatherpack connector comes from Jegs. I had speaker wire stuffed in the plug for it to work, last night I checked it all again and the wire easily came out, I'm guessing it wasn't in good. Fixed that and the car has been fine all morning. Hopefully thats all the problems is.

Besides this problem the Yank converter is amazing compared to my old midwest.
Old 12-10-2003, 04:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright guys this is pissing me off. Its been driving just fine, now it started to mess up again. High RPM to get the car to move, no lock up, doesn't really seem like it's shifting. WTF is the deal here? Is it the VSS itself and not just the plug? Would it throw a code if it was?
Old 12-10-2003, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone have any idea? The random behavior of when it acts up is what has me confused.
Old 12-11-2003, 12:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had the same problems before and it was the connector going to the VSS in one case an a bad VSS in the another case. One of the prongs in the connector was pushed up in there a bit causing it to not have a good connection. At first glance it you wouldn't have even noticed this.

Electrical gremlins are a bitch sometimes.
Old 12-11-2003, 02:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I checked it today and comes to find out i had the wires swapped on the VSS Had the High and Low signal wires in the wrong spot. I'm guessing the PCM may have run a check or something and thats why it stops working right. Also may explain why the car drives fine again once its turned off for a few minutes.