Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What tire to make truck hook in 2wd?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 01:04 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What tire to make truck hook in 2wd?

Hey guys, I just ordered a yank pro truck 3200 stall and I wanna put some smaller stickier tires on the back of my 4x4 truck to see if I can get it to hook in 2wd and so I have better torque multiplication than running it in 4x4 with 33" mud tires and 3.73 gears. It is a NNBS vortex max extracab with the extra short bed. Would a set of et streets be best on 16" stock wheels? or would some drag radials work good? will it hook with that stock type suspension and the leaf springs? thanks for the suggestions guys!

oh and btw, I ran the truck in 4 high at the track tonight with how it sits and the 33" KM2's and it still went 15.15 @ 91 mph, I thought that was pretty good VS the stock height, stock 20's and stock size tire when it went 15.0 @ 92mph. I thought that I would lose more than that going higher, heavier and less torque multiplication with the taller tires.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:32 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

I run a 28-11.5-16 MT ET Street but this is kinda wide for your stock wheel. It will work and should still give you plenty of traction. For less than $100 you can pick up some 8" wide wagon wheels and then have the right wheel for these tires. This is what I did. Sounds like you are on the right track look at Bias tires because they are typicaly the best for a truck.

Your stock setup should be fine. You aren't putting any real power to the ground so the springs should not rap at all. If they do you can run some caltrac bars or another type of traction bar but like I said you shouldn't have any problem.

Good luck. Let us know what you run. I think 14.7 should be a good goal. Maybe you will go faster but it is a reasonable goal for starters.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:23 PM
Launching!

thanks for the reply man. I think i might try that. and Im hoping for maybe 14.50's - 14.40's but we will see what happens. I think it might be possible because i was running those 15.15's with 2.35 sixtys and those taller tires. so hopefully i can dead hook and get a 1.9 with the stickies and shorter tire.

Quick Reply: What tire to make truck hook in 2wd?