Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Restricting & 3/8" Push Rods ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 10:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Oil Restricting & 3/8" Push Rods ?

Unfortunately, at the time I did my build I used a LS6 (non ported) oil pump on a 97 LS1 engine with Edlebrock heads and comp cam/comp R lifters. In retrospect, I would have used a melling high flow or an LQ4 oil pump in addition to drilling some holes in the lifter trays, but at this point, it's all back together, so...

Should I use oil restricting pushrods with a stock ls6 oil pump and Comp R lifters on after market heads?

The issue being that it's not a high flow oil pump, I dont want to starve the top end of oil, but I dont want to pond it there either. I do take the car to road courses and HDPEs. It is certainly not a daily driver.

I have done considerable searching on Manton and Smith Brothers push rods and have seen them used with high flow pumps. In doing so, I saw posts on the 3/8" PRs maintainning their stiffness at high RPMS and high valve spring ratings. I have patriot Extreme springs with a R lobe cam and 1.8 YT rockers. What RPM and spring pressures were they using to justify moving to the 3/8" pushrod? (I couldn't find the referenced crane spintron video on the net)

Thanks for any insight on this set up.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Any larger pushrod will only help. The issue is that some heads won't take the 3/8" pushrod without machining. That being the case you can either go with 11/32 (Manton has these) or like I just did (haven't yet installed them) a 3/8 - 5/16 dual taper. The dual taper has other advantages as well.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea! I was hoping you would reply Vettenuts.

What do you think about running the oil restricting pushrods with a new LS6 oil pump?

Thank you

Ray
Old 11-06-2009, 04:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There are quite a few guys on Corvetteforum (Is this a Vette?) who run HDPE's and some have gone this route. I am not that familiar with the high RPM too much oil up top issue other than the recommendation to overfill the crankcase by one quart. Not sure if you have asked anyone over there about the oil restricted pushrods. The only caution I would have is they restrict oil all the time, including normal low RPM street driving so look into this carefully. As for the pushrod stiffness, that is a good thing. I am hoping to verify I don't have an interference issue with my new pushrods in the next week or so. They are beautiful and are CNC'd from solid tube. For a double taper, the price wasn't too bad either but compared to regular 5/16 pushrods they are expensive.

Quick Reply: Oil Restricting & 3/8" Push Rods ?