Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

New brakes and pads but I hear hissing

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 01:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New brakes and pads but I hear hissing

I just had put in a new set of EBC red stuff pads and EBC sport rotors on my car. They just have 110 miles on them and I hear a hissing sound when I brake. I am wondering if this is from the "air noise" EBC talks about or is it something else. Also could it be just part of the break in procedures and it will be gone after a few hundred more miles, once the paint is fully off the braking area of the rotors and the pads are a bit worn in? I am driving lets say at 40mph and I start to brake slowly because I am breaking in the new pads and all I hear is hsssssssssss until about 15-10mph and it goes away and sometimes I swear I hear it without braking especially when driving alongside a surface that can bounce the noise back at me, like driving next to the highway dividers but that could be in my head. The brakes have not failed and are braking fine

these are the brakes and pads

Last edited by ICEMAN 31; 11-07-2009 at 02:13 AM.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:05 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it takes a while for everything to break in, till then you may hear weird noises.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your calipers. Sounds like they might be dragging and not fully releasing the pad from the disc...
Old 11-11-2009, 01:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a friend with those rotors and he has the same noise you speak of. It is normal for that rotor and is the air noise as stated by the manufacturer. When he bought them the company told him that if he would be bothered by it not to purchase them.

Quick Reply: New brakes and pads but I hear hissing