Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Do your clear corners leak? Come inside for the solution...

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 06:52 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Do your clear corners leak? Come inside for the solution...

After 3 sets of leaking clear corners, I figured it was time to stop swapping and just figure out why these POS's leak....

Thanks to a little pointer from Nineball, I took some clear silicon sealant and went around the entire housing where the plastic mates. Apparently there is a flaw in the type of adhesive they use and it because weak and leaks water or just seperates. After putting a semi-thick line of silicon around the perimeter, I drilled 3 VERY small pin holes in different locations under the CC. 2 about 4 inches apart on the larger section, and 1 pin hole under the smaller section where the small light goes (you'll see what i'm talking about). This would ensure that if it did leak again, it wouldn't puddle up and bust my bulbs, no floating fishies, etc....I used a very small bit, something like 1/16 or so. Just enough to let water escape if need be, and not big enough to let anything in.....

It's worked flawlessly. For the first time in 3 yrs I don't have an underwater habitat developing in my clear corners...Washed the car twice since then, and it's bone dry...

Just thought i'd share since I know this is somewhat a common problem. Cheers

josh
Old 12-10-2003, 09:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks. I will definetly do that ..... as soon as i get time.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:34 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

no leaking on mine so far. 3 months now sitting outside in the rain. The silicone trick works well.
Old 12-10-2003, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I need to do this one day to my driver side, always blows out my blubs!!

Do you have any pictures on where you drilled the holes?

Last edited by WICKED SS; 12-10-2003 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12-10-2003, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, it works. I did the same (3 holes and silicone) when I got mine a little over a month ago
Old 12-10-2003, 09:38 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by WICKED SS
I need to do this one day to my driver side, always blows out my blubs!!

Do you have any pictures on where you drilled the holes?
I don't man, sorry. If they werent such a MF'er to take out i'd snap some for you.

I didn't drill anywhere special, just put some very small holes at different locations to insure that if water does leak it, it'll leak right back out. If you put them out, you'll notice there is a bigger section for the DRL bulb, and it's somewhat seperated into a smaller section inside the housing for the indicator light. Put 2-3 VERY SMALL holes in the large section, at least 2 inches away from each other, and one small hole in the corner of the small section where the indicator light is.

Drilling the holes probably wasn't even necessary since mine do not leak at all anymore, I just did it for a little extra insurance so I don't have to pull them again. I already put a small crack in the corner of my bumper on the driver's side from fighting with the damn CC. If you don't want to pull them ever again, I suggest the silicon AND drilling the small holes.

Josh

Quick Reply: Do your clear corners leak? Come inside for the solution...