Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Only smokes when warm???? WTF

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 01:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Only smokes when warm???? WTF

Getting oil burning problems but only when it is to operating temps, i dont understand the prob, i have a catch can on the pvc ( no breather on the can), the other tube going from the valve cover to the tb has a brether on it now and the hole it hooks too on the TB is plugged... i just did a cam swap all new everything, cam, ls6 oil pump, springs, ls2 chain,valve seals retainers and all... it did smoke before the swap i was hoping it was just valve seals but it didnt fix the problem.

I am still getting oil in the intake even tho i have the catch can and the other tube plugged and a beather... could it be because i dont have a brether on the catch can? or what other problems could it be?

I also noticed when doing the cam swap i hook up air to the cylinders to hold my valves, it seemed to be leaking air into the bottom of the motor... i figured it was normal cause of the ring gaps, it was leaking kinda bad tho... still not th prob with oil in my ontake tho

i really want to get this figuered out it use to drive me crazy... right now the motor is out of the car and down to a short block cause i was planning on doing a 5.3 swap with a truck manny cutom turbo kit, but due to funds i am think of just putting my motor back together with some cnc heads and shoot some spray maybe a 100-150 shot...

I want to get this figured out before i put the motor back together in case i need to due rings... maybe forged rods and pistons too while i am in there lol
Old 11-08-2009, 11:45 AM
Launching!

No one? lol sorry i have tried using the search but i found nothing... wouldnt you think if it was the rings in would smoke all the time instead of just when it is warm?
Old 11-08-2009, 01:00 PM
12 Second Club

I think you answerd your own question. Sounds like oil is blowing by your rings. Did you use a thread sealant on the intake rocker bolts?
Old 11-08-2009, 01:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Since you already have the motor out put rings in it. If you don't you will compound the problem when you start spraying.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:19 PM
Launching!

No i didnt use any sealent i was wondering about that, can they leak oil into the chambers?

Also what machine work would i have to do to do the rings do the cylinder walls need to be cleaned up? and if i just do rings will the stock pistons and rods hold a 100-150 wet shot ok?

Sorry this is the first car i have really had a chance to break down and learn things with, so sorry if these are dumb questions or anything

Quick Reply: Only smokes when warm???? WTF