Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Grabbing breaks

Old 11-07-2009, 05:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grabbing breaks

I did many searches and have not found a answer. i bought a car that was not running. It needed some tranny work and a clutch. I did all the work that needed to done. when I took the car out for a test drive I noticed that the breaks are really grabby. By this I mean if I use the breaks I have to be careful or I will throw myself through the window. they don't lock up, thye jsut grab. Have you guys noticed this ever.. This is not my first f bod so I know my other camaro didnt do this. any suggestions? The only thing I can think of is when I took off my brake booster to put my clutch mc. everything went together fine. any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

There could be issues with brake booster, however most "grabby" brake issues arise with the use of brake pads with overly aggressive compounds combined with really poor shocks. This often results in the brake dive, or rather that "throwing yourself into the windscreen" feeling.

Find out what shocks you have on your car, because by the sound of it, you should replace them. Excessive brake dive is not only "unsettling" but also tends to increase brake distances as well.

BTW, I have experienced what you mention, however if you're braking too hard with this situation and you're wearing your seat belt, then I highly doubt your body will hit anything other than the seat belt.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:40 AM
11 Second Club

It has the qa1 shocks I am not sure what lb the springs are on it. the guy I bought it from doesn't know if it was like that before. He hasn't driven it for a year or more he said. Do you think it could be that they are set to soft in the front and that is causing the dive when the breaks are hit?
Old 11-08-2009, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

most likely. Drag racing valving isn't quite optimal for street handling.

If you're not into drag racing, then eventually you may consider replacing those with some shocks that have much better valving suited towards handling.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

btw, if the pedal is "hard" yet the car doesn't seem to stop, you should also check your brake booster again. It could be on its way out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Grabbing breaks