Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Crank Gear...problems

Old 11-08-2009, 04:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Removing Crank Gear...problems

Having a hard time getting the 3 jaw pulley to hook on the crank gear, it keeps slipping. Any pointers out there to get this off?
Old 11-08-2009, 04:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I had better luck using a three jaw that could convert to two jaw. I used it in two jaw mode. Also with a 3 jaw puller just get it as square and straight as possible and get the teeth as far engaged as you can, when they try to slip off, just tap them back seated again. This worked well for me.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Why not get the correct tool, its about $11.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Why not get the correct tool, its about $11.
And which tool is this? And why post that without a link or more specific info
Old 11-08-2009, 07:13 PM
Teching In

Put a large hose clamp around the jaws and it will keep it from jumping off.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:23 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That gear is heat expanded installed from the factory. They heat the gear and then quickly install it. It is a bear to remove it. Use a good puller that has bolts to keep the jaws from spreading. I usually cut them off if the crank is out of the car. If its in the car and you just want to freshen up the chain and gears it has to be pulled off. Sometimes it has to be heated with extream caution. The heat will expand the gear for ease of removal. Mostly all new engines use heat fit gears.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

heat fit gears eh, sounds like a good concept except when the motor is warmed up lol. wouldnt it make it loose when the car is hot?
Old 11-08-2009, 09:50 PM
TECH Resident

Hey Vettenuts, so which tool are you talking about?
I've found your thread on valvetrain specs and have it ready for when I am putting heads back on.....
Can I just leave the gear on and run the new LS2 timing chain and cam gear?Ive read the pros and cons, but I guess peace of mind knowing a newer gear is on more important to me. I guess though it all determines how much a PITA it will be, this is the last thing to be done before installing all the new goodies.
So what tool is it?
Old 11-08-2009, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkJuggalo
heat fit gears eh, sounds like a good concept except when the motor is warmed up lol. wouldnt it make it loose when the car is hot?
No, crank is the same temp and also expands same as the gear.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

true didnt think of that hehe, guess if they are designed to both expand would work well
Old 11-08-2009, 11:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Titanws6
I've found your thread on valvetrain specs and have it ready for when I am putting heads back on.....
Can I just leave the gear on and run the new LS2 timing chain and cam gear?Ive read the pros and cons, but I guess peace of mind knowing a newer gear is on more important to me. I guess though it all determines how much a PITA it will be, this is the last thing to be done before installing all the new goodies.
So what tool is it?
how many miles does the car have? are the gears worn? is the sproket sharp on the teeth? because i am installing the LS2 timing chain and i know i dont need to change the bottom crank sprocket, its perfectly fine on mine.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

So what tool is it?
I will post a photo tonight, can't see them here at work. The part is Kent-Moore and it is around $11 on fleabay.

Found it, here is the tool. You use it with a puller you can rent from Autozone or buy the puller if you need it for other things like I did. This tool attaches to the standard puller. I will post a photo of how to use tonight.

Kent-Moore Tool for Crank Sprocket Removal

Last edited by vettenuts; 11-09-2009 at 04:54 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here is how it gets used.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

After you have removed the gear what is the procedure for pressing the new gear on.
Alan
Old 11-11-2009, 06:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

See photo. The silver piece is another $10 Kent-Moore tool for pressing on the crank sprocket. It is also used to press on the pulley. The threaded rod in the photo I made from a 300mm length of threaded rod and some washers and nuts. That cost about $20 to make.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:32 PM
TECH Addict

Posi-Lock is the best 3 leg puller bar none, but I can't say it beats a special tool like the Kent-Moore for a specific application. The Posi-Lock can be purchased in different sizes, but it cost a lot more than $11.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:51 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the photos Vettenuts, I just may need to go ahead and buy that tool to remove the sprocket.

I installed the ls2 chain with the factory cam gear and crank gear and have some decent slack in the chain. So I tried with the factory ls1 chain and same gears, resulted in little less slack. I then installed a JP Performance cam gear with the stock crank gear and ls2 chain, still decent amount of slack. I am curious if switching the crank gear will show any result.....I mean, should there really be this slack issue with the ls2 chain. Its not enough to make the chain jump teeth or anything, but still enough slack that leaves me wondering if and when is something gonna happen?
Any slack issues with ls2 chains? I know a pic would tell more, I'll work on that.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:28 PM
TECH Junkie

I used the kent moore tool to remove my sprocket, but I use the OLD GEAR to drive my new one into place. Just tap it on with a hammer using the new gear.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:59 PM
Banned

Thanks for the photos Vettenuts, I just may need to go ahead and buy that tool to remove the sprocket.

I installed the ls2 chain with the factory cam gear and crank gear and have some decent slack in the chain. So I tried with the factory ls1 chain and same gears, resulted in little less slack. I then installed a JP Performance cam gear with the stock crank gear and ls2 chain, still decent amount of slack. I am curious if switching the crank gear will show any result.....I mean, should there really be this slack issue with the ls2 chain. Its not enough to make the chain jump teeth or anything, but still enough slack that leaves me wondering if and when is something gonna happen?
Any slack issues with ls2 chains? I know a pic would tell more, I'll work on that.
when i installed the ls2 timing chain it had less slack then my stock chain, but for instance if i turn the engine one direction and try to turn the motor the opposite direction i can see a little slack in the chain but it looks completely fine
Old 11-12-2009, 04:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

There is a couple of ways to play this. I usually buy the tools and keep them for future use. If you don't think you will use them you can sell them here on tech and get back some of the money. I will say one thing, the proper tools make a huge difference on how easy the job goes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Removing Crank Gear...problems