Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Bent axles/axle tubes??

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bent axles/axle tubes??

Early this year I broke the 4.10s in my original 10 bolt and ended up buying a stock 3.23 10 bolt from an LS1 A4 car. I noticed a vibration issue show up but I wasn't 100% sure it was rear end related because I also did some other stuff to the car (rebuilt trans, bought a set of ZR1s from another member on here, replaced broken throwout bearing and clutch master/slave cyls).

I had both the rear wheels checked and double checked for balance, I was told they were perfect. I then swapped a known good pair of wheels onto the car but it still felt the same vibration.

The other day I had a friend following me and she noticed that the right rear wheel was visibly wobbling, so we swapped cars so I could watch the wheels myself and sure enough it was visibly wobbling, pretty bad too.

When I got home I jacked up the rear of the car into the air and let the wheels roll in first gear so I could get out and look up close. Turn outs BOTH sides are wobbling pretty badly but the passenger side more so.

I guess at this point I'm 99.9% sure it's something in the rear end but what are all the possible causes of this?

-brakes?
-suspension problem? (panhard, control arms)
-bent axles?
-bent axle tubes?

The rear end also has LCA relocation brackets welded on. Could those somehow be messing it up if they were installed incorrectly?

The person I bought the rear end said it was in a nitrous car that was pretty quick so I guess there was some power going through it.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Purple95Z28; 11-08-2009 at 05:11 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if the wheels is wobbeling then it has to be the axle's. the face the the wheel bolts to is bent. you will need diffrent axles.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jman54002
if the wheels is wobbeling then it has to be the axle's. the face the the wheel bolts to is bent. you will need diffrent axles.
This is true.