Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

6Cyl springs????

Old 11-08-2009, 11:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6Cyl springs????

Hey guys , This is the deal. I wanted to lower my 98 z28 so bad I could'nt wait to get the money and buy the sporlines and shocks I am dieing for so I cut the springs 2 turns in the front and removed the the ruber top springs in the rear..The car looks real good (at least to me) but it rides like ***.(The front at least)... I still don't have the means to lower it the right way but I can get a pair o6 cyl complete shock and springs assembly for the front.. What will be the difference in ride and hight in the front witht the 6cyl springs. And should I go with 6cyl springs in the rear also and install the ruber tops again.. If not Iam just going to find stock ls1 springs and wait.... What do you guys think..any info will be helpful Thanks
Old 11-09-2009, 12:36 AM
Staging Lane

Rear spring rates for the 98-02 V6/V8 cars are the same. So you're not going to notice a difference there. And there isn't really much of a difference in front spring rates for those year models either (Iron V6 versus Aluminum V8). If you're dead set on using V6 springs, try to get some off the 93-97 models, as they use a lower spring rate than the later years.

Honestly, I think you'd just be better off and happier saving up for some proper lowering springs.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you decide to go back to stock front springs, I have a set I'm about to pull off my car.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by pace
Rear spring rates for the 98-02 V6/V8 cars are the same. So you're not going to notice a difference there. And there isn't really much of a difference in front spring rates for those year models either (Iron V6 versus Aluminum V8). If you're dead set on using V6 springs, try to get some off the 93-97 models, as they use a lower spring rate than the later years.

Honestly, I think you'd just be better off and happier saving up for some proper lowering springs.

Thats what I thought.. Iron v6 should be the same as th aluminum v8.. I have 93-97 springs.. I would just like it to ride nice for now but not as high as it was stock.. I am going to try the 6cyl springs that I have and I'll let you guys know what happens.. Thanks for the help..
Old 11-09-2009, 03:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I think in the 2001 and 2002 models they got z28 suspension, I know everyone talks so much about the intake being the ls6 intake but you would also be surprised of the amount they decided to just use on the v6 model that they had from the v8 model.....I have both, and to my knowledge they are the exact same. The difference in front ends only being in the steering to accommodate a larger motor...

Please somone try to correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by baalic
I think in the 2001 and 2002 models they got z28 suspension, I know everyone talks so much about the intake being the ls6 intake but you would also be surprised of the amount they decided to just use on the v6 model that they had from the v8 model.....I have both, and to my knowledge they are the exact same. The difference in front ends only being in the steering to accommodate a larger motor...

Please somone try to correct me if I'm wrong.
V6's didn't have the PS cooler or larger swaybars except for the SLP Firebird GT (yes, there was a special edition of the V6). Otherwise, the V6's had a smaller front and rear swaybar that's why the majority of the V6 guys looking to improve their handling on a budget go for LS1 takeoffs.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WarShrike
V6's didn't have the PS cooler or larger swaybars except for the SLP Firebird GT (yes, there was a special edition of the V6). Otherwise, the V6's had a smaller front and rear swaybar that's why the majority of the V6 guys looking to improve their handling on a budget go for LS1 takeoffs.
If I'm not mistaken, not all V8s had the powersteering cooler either. I think the WS6/SS/B4Cs were the ones to get it, but I could be wrong.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, Z28's and formula's were without it. I managed to snag a ps cooler off a B4C that was getting parted out. I got it for free and I bought the 19mm rear swaybar off of it to go with the BMW 32mm I was about to install.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Exactly, in my z28, it doesn't have a cooler. I have had both my cars on stands, and like I said, the springs/shocks are the same, which from what I read, were actually different then the 2000 v6 Camaros.. If I could find a 2000 or older v6 to compare with I would, but just comparing suspension, its the same, steering is a tad different from my 2002v6 to my 2002 v8 although I couldn't tell you for sure what's different without looking...maybe I just need to go take some pics....
Old 11-09-2009, 01:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy2Guns
Hey guys , This is the deal. I wanted to lower my 98 z28 so bad I could'nt wait to get the money and buy the sporlines and shocks I am dieing for so I cut the springs 2 turns in the front and removed the the ruber top springs in the rear..The car looks real good (at least to me) but it rides like ***.(The front at least)... I still don't have the means to lower it the right way but I can get a pair o6 cyl complete shock and springs assembly for the front.. What will be the difference in ride and hight in the front witht the 6cyl springs. And should I go with 6cyl springs in the rear also and install the ruber tops again.. If not Iam just going to find stock ls1 springs and wait.... What do you guys think..any info will be helpful Thanks
You need to search.
If you care at all about ride quality sportlines shouldn't even be considered, they are arguably the worst spring for our cars because the rate is way too low for the drop, causing you to slam the bump stops harder and more often.
A cheap alternative for you right now could be getting some LT1 front springs, which generally seem to be lower than LS1 springs and also have slightly more rate. But now as you have experienced rushing things and doing things the cheap way usually leave you with cheap, undesired results. Pick up some LT1 springs and put them on for now, then save up and research on shocks and springs and do it right one time.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

+1 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 11-10-2009, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
You need to search.
If you care at all about ride quality sportlines shouldn't even be considered, they are arguably the worst spring for our cars because the rate is way too low for the drop, causing you to slam the bump stops harder and more often.
A cheap alternative for you right now could be getting some LT1 front springs, which generally seem to be lower than LS1 springs and also have slightly more rate. But now as you have experienced rushing things and doing things the cheap way usually leave you with cheap, undesired results. Pick up some LT1 springs and put them on for now, then save up and research on shocks and springs and do it right one time.

Thanks for the info..and yeah your right thats what happens when you rush stuff..I have a set of lt1 springs but I thought since the lt1 is heavier then the ls1 It will raise the car too much...

Search this Thread