Sponsored by:

4L60E - lost all gears - trans gurus please enter

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 01:15 PM
ADM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 4L60E - lost all gears - trans gurus please enter

Car had not moved an inch for the past 4 months. While installing LTs, I raised the engine high enough (trans mount was disconnected) and the whole assembly moved forward enough for the shaft to start sliding out the transmission and ATF leaked all over the place. Fair dos.

I get everything back in place, no leaks from the seal thankfully, and because it was only about a quart that i lost, worst case is 2, and the car wasn''t going to be driven, I did not replish it. I

started the engine yesterday after my build, everything was good. I changed the engine oil today, and let it idle for some time, and checked for leaks and my rockers getting oil.

A few hours later, I come with ATF and fill up a couple of quarts, and then start it up, it sounds like something is holding the engine back, (mind you, lever has never left PARK in 4 months), eventually it starts up and runs, some whiny noise and then goes away within seconds. Sounded near the firewall.

I want to move the car out of its place and park it elsewhere, I throw it in R, nothing. D? Nothing. All gears, nothing. No movement. I checked the trans, the selector rod is moving the manual valve, the electrical connector is plugged in and no damage to it.

I thought maybe the shaft had not seated, but expected a grind if it hadn't. So I leave it in D, and we push the car backwards. It just moved freely. In R, it moved forward. I put it in Park, it was locked in place and car made no movement.

WTF is wrong with this transmission? lol
Old 11-09-2009, 03:25 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Unfortunatley the converter likley came unindexed from the pump during the work and was not seated back this resulting in a pump failure (broken pump) remove a trans line and start you will see no fluid pumping out

Call 888-744-6542

Old 11-09-2009, 06:46 PM
ADM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Unfortunatley the converter likley came unindexed from the pump during the work and was not seated back this resulting in a pump failure (broken pump) remove a trans line and start you will see no fluid pumping out
How would it have moved? The engine and trans never came apart.

A full rebuild is required?
Old 11-09-2009, 07:37 PM
10 Second Club

So how did the transmission act before you put it on jackstands to start the LT install? Any problems then?

Have you checked the fluid level on the stick to confirm that it is full? Sometimes the amount that you think "leaked out" can be deceptive.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How is that possible? Will my converter come out if I hit my brakes really hard?
Old 11-09-2009, 11:15 PM
ADM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Hugger
So how did the transmission act before you put it on jackstands to start the LT install? Any problems then?

Have you checked the fluid level on the stick to confirm that it is full? Sometimes the amount that you think "leaked out" can be deceptive.
I have gone up to 7 quarts now, maybe 8 even. It couldn't have leaked every drop out. I think I will top it up until it overfills.

My trans was working great before I started the build. Had installed a TransGo HD2 shift kit, and was shifting great, never slipped in any gear and power was always consistant, and the car had no mods besides the cats removed and an SLP resonator as an exhaust muffler.

I have a feeling the torque converter still hasn't got any oil inside it. I'm no transmission expert, but I cannot buy how the TC would unindex itself from the transmission when all is bolted together.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:25 AM
ADM
TECH Resident

Its worth mentioning that even with the engine off, I can put it in any gear and push the car forward or backward freely.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:25 AM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

there was no bingding when you put it back in? did you check your converter spacing ?

worse case scenario , you broke the pump
Old 11-10-2009, 01:16 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I would suggest unhooking a cooler line starting car and see if fluid comes spraying out

Call 888-744-6542

Old 11-10-2009, 05:46 AM
ADM
TECH Resident

I would suggest unhooking a cooler line starting car and see if fluid comes spraying out
Will give that a go. I also remember noticing something rather unusual yesterday while under the car, will inspect that as well.

Will get back to you guys.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:33 AM
ADM
TECH Resident

I'm going to check up on the trans and see if there is any pressure in the lines. If not, I'm dropping the transmission tonight.

How high does the car need to be?
Old 11-11-2009, 12:12 PM
TECH Regular

A normal set of jackstands will do the job. If you don't have a very good/high set you can tilt the trans to get the bellhousing to clear the bottom of the car (messy, but works).
Old 11-11-2009, 12:20 PM
11 Second Club

Sounds like nine did over the weekend, No gears at all, Exept mine would just barely pull reved to about 4K(keep in mind you could have stuck your fopopt under the tire and held it)
mine ended up being the torque convertor. What does the fluid look like? Real dark,Burnt smelling or cuttings? Mine looked fine.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:57 PM
ADM
TECH Resident

Like I said earlier, I noticed something and checked it first thing.

Before even raising the car, I had my cousin just crank it, and surely enough what I suspected had happened, the flywheel just spun freely and the torque converter was stood still.

First thing I thought, the bolts sheared. But all 3? I was worried about having to drill out the rest of them out of the torque converter.

Raised the car, and checked the TC, no bolt in there too. Then I remembered seeing some rather thick bolts laying on the ground when I pushed the car out of its 4 month old parking spot.

At least its a simple fix, I was not interested in investing more into the car.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:09 PM
TECH Regular

So the tc bolts were just all off?
Old 11-11-2009, 03:26 PM
ADM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by My95Z
So the tc bolts were just all off?
All 3 missing. Here is the interesting thing, we never worked near the transmission during the whole build except when we had to put on the headers and the Y-pipe.

The car being raised up overnight a couple of times means it could have been vandalised. But why these particular bolts? Thats what I don't understand.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:39 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Strange Indeed

Call 888-744-6542

Old 11-12-2009, 08:15 AM
11 Second Club

Damn that it wierd, I have had a few cars(Not Fbodies though) that the convertor bolts had loosened up bad, and it sounds rough too. But never had any come completly out.

Quick Reply: 4L60E - lost all gears - trans gurus please enter