Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found 7 rocker needle bearings in pushrod hole...

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 03:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found 7 rocker needle bearings in pushrod hole...

A couple questions, how many needle bearings total are in each rocker and if its more than 7, where should I search? Only one rocker arm was bad (rear most d/s), should I replace all of them? One side of the rocker arm seems to be missing a piece that the other side has...any thoughts as to where this piece went? Ill include pics.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:06 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LT1T/A
A couple questions, how many needle bearings total are in each rocker and if its more than 7, where should I search? Only one rocker arm was bad (rear most d/s), should I replace all of them? One side of the rocker arm seems to be missing a piece that the other side has...any thoughts as to where this piece went? Ill include pics.
Alot more the 7. LOL #7/#2 exhaust always break. Rebuild them all. Send them to Harland Sharp and have them ALL rebuilt.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:06 PM
Staging Lane

1st pic-good side
2nd-bad side
3rd- bad side w/ only missing piece I could find
Attached Thumbnails Found 7 rocker needle bearings in pushrod hole...-photo-0049.jpg   Found 7 rocker needle bearings in pushrod hole...-photo-0050.jpg   Found 7 rocker needle bearings in pushrod hole...-photo-0051.jpg  
Old 11-09-2009, 07:49 PM
Launching!

ck. your oil pan. i found one while changing the oil. i just bought new rockers.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Comp Cams has a trunion upgrade that replaces all the needle bearings. I plan on doing it sometime soon myself.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SweetS10V8
Comp Cams has a trunion upgrade that replaces all the needle bearings. I plan on doing it sometime soon myself.

Yea about $150 IIRC and Harland will sell you the kit too or do it for you for $260 last I checked. I will do this next time my car goes down...
Old 11-26-2009, 08:38 AM
Launching!

This happened to my 99 Firechicken. I found them when changing the oil. If memory serves me correctly, there are 33 needle bearing on each side of the rocker arm, so yes that means there are 66 needle bearing per rocker arm. Happy hunting. Most of mine came out the oil drain plug, but the remainder were hung up in the lifter buckets. My failure was similar to yours. The retaining cup failed on only one side and spewed them all into the motor. I got lucky, caught it very early and suffered no damage other than the rocker it self.

Some pics of my carnage http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2446297/2

FWIW, I abandoned the factory rocker all together and went with Comp Cams Pro Magnums, that was 15,000 miles about and no problems.

Chris
Old 11-26-2009, 09:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

this happened to me last week...#2 exhaust

I put a spare on and went on down the road for now
Old 11-26-2009, 06:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JPH
Alot more the 7. LOL #7/#2 exhaust always break. Rebuild them all. Send them to Harland Sharp and have them ALL rebuilt.
Why do the #7 and #2 exhaust rockers fail more then the others?
Old 12-06-2009, 10:17 AM
TECH Addict

Mine were all in the very back of the oil pan in the baffled area... they were not going to just come out with the oil thats for sure..
Old 12-06-2009, 08:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1Silverado05
Mine were all in the very back of the oil pan in the baffled area... they were not going to just come out with the oil thats for sure..
+1 This is where they tend to fall. Way forward and they like to hug the bottom of the oil pan that doesn't get fully drained all the time. Its best to take the oil pan off to do your searching.

Good luck!
Old 12-07-2009, 06:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Never had one fail before cam/spring swap. Not to say that they won't fail while stock. Just didn't happen until using higher lift, higher spring compression set up. Now, I upgrade rockers w/ any cam/spring change in order to avoid the problem of stock rocker retainer failure.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:12 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by David_viny
Why do the #7 and #2 exhaust rockers fail more then the others?
It's a firing order deal.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:14 PM
Launching!

Get some yella terras!
Old 12-09-2009, 08:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

That retainer is probably still in the cylinder head! Take all the rockers and pedalstool off, I used a magnet to help find it.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:52 AM
On The Tree

Holy Cow! I never realized LS motors had issues with the rocker needles coming out! I have 204,000 miles on my stock '99. Maybe it is time to replace the rockers. What is a decent set of stock replacement full roller rockers?
Old 12-10-2009, 08:47 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can use any of them really. Scorpion rockers got hit with the failure stigma pretty hard a while back, I am sure they have since fixed it. They are going to be some of the more affordable ones. Then up to Yella Terra, which have been hit by the same stigma, but just like Scorp, resolved the issue. The ultralights are some of the most popular ones out there. For the price they are a good idea. Harland Sharp also has the stock rockers with upgraded trunions (the part that normally fails) and their own style of bolt on alum roller rockers. The alum rockers are natrually going to have a blukier body for good reason. Those do not need guide plates. If you upgrade to some of the others like the Comps, they will need guide plates. Then there are the shaft mount jobs. Such as Jesel and T&D. They are somewhat pricey and normally reserved for a fairly high strung build. Not your normal heads/cam combo. They will range in price from about 380 a set to over 600 for a set. They can come in ratios from stock 1.7 to 1.85. Be sure to check your springs to make sure they can handle what you are throwing at them as well.

Alot of people still prefer the stock rockers, for many reasons ranging from conspiracy theory to actual fact, but on some heads/valvetrains, have shown the tendency to produce odd geometry and make wear more apparent than a full roller style rocker arm. Honestly, either way, you cannot go wrong, because all of them are getting you peace of mind. As for bolt on performance......well at least they are getting you peace of mind.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by John@Scoggin
You can use any of them really. Scorpion rockers got hit with the failure stigma pretty hard a while back, I am sure they have since fixed it. They are going to be some of the more affordable ones. Then up to Yella Terra, which have been hit by the same stigma, but just like Scorp, resolved the issue. The ultralights are some of the most popular ones out there. For the price they are a good idea. Harland Sharp also has the stock rockers with upgraded trunions (the part that normally fails) and their own style of bolt on alum roller rockers. The alum rockers are natrually going to have a blukier body for good reason. Those do not need guide plates. If you upgrade to some of the others like the Comps, they will need guide plates. Then there are the shaft mount jobs. Such as Jesel and T&D. They are somewhat pricey and normally reserved for a fairly high strung build. Not your normal heads/cam combo. They will range in price from about 380 a set to over 600 for a set. They can come in ratios from stock 1.7 to 1.85. Be sure to check your springs to make sure they can handle what you are throwing at them as well.

Alot of people still prefer the stock rockers, for many reasons ranging from conspiracy theory to actual fact, but on some heads/valvetrains, have shown the tendency to produce odd geometry and make wear more apparent than a full roller style rocker arm. Honestly, either way, you cannot go wrong, because all of them are getting you peace of mind. As for bolt on performance......well at least they are getting you peace of mind.

LOL!

Unfortunately the only folks making much money on stock rockers are Sharp for their rebulid or kit (only $10 difference!) or Comp + someone cleaning, inspecting and installing the Comp bearings/shaft. The going rate for that service is well over $10/set of 16.

Jon
Old 12-10-2009, 03:05 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you order the trunion upgrade, you can do it yourself and then you are the only one to blame if anything goes wrong. Another option on the table.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by John@Scoggin
If you order the trunion upgrade, you can do it yourself and then you are the only one to blame if anything goes wrong. Another option on the table.
Comp advises using some special installation tools which you could make on a lathe. A press is the best way to install the bearings...or one could just hammer them in using a socket.

I've seen pricing of $200/set of 16 for Comp upgrade kit installed on cleaned, inspected rockers provided by the customer.

Do you guys do installs of the Comp kit?

Jon

Quick Reply: Found 7 rocker needle bearings in pushrod hole...