Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Better Drag Platform and why.
Mustang
58.73%
Torque arm F-body
41.27%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Better drag racing platform.....Mustang or Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Better drag racing platform.....Mustang or Camaro?

I've spent alot of time thinking about what I want to do with my 01 Z28, whether I wanted a badass street car or a all track car. Its pretty clear that a 9 sec street/strip car is tough and cost alot of $. I figure for the same money it takes to build a street car that will run consistent 9's I could build a race car that runs mid 8's.

My question comes from watching all these LS/chevy powered Stangs ripping up the track. At the Shakedown there must have been about 5 chevy stangs, including Hance, Vrettos, Phil Thomas, and Lynch(I know he's Proline not chevy). These people wouldnt be using mustangs if they could have used a 3rd gen camaro or a 4th gen just as easy.

Does the dated tech in a mustang suspension really make for a better drag racing platform then a torque arm GM car? Please vote in the poll, discuss, and share your opinions.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: JUST WANTED TO CLARIFY I'M TALKING STOCK STYLE TO STOCK STYLE SUSPENSION ONLY. NOT FORD VS CHEVY MOTOR.

Last edited by MelScrilla; 11-09-2009 at 09:27 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

camaro, they are cheaper to build hands down. Mustangs you will find parts like eggs in a shopping store, but you will a lot for them. When you want a drag car stick with a chevy, why do you think so many mustang guys put in bbc or lsx-----because its cheaper and better
Old 11-09-2009, 09:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for stock suspension like drag radial? or like a 4 link car like lynchs?

IMO the mustang is better for stock suspension classes. You can make the torque arm cars just as good, but you got to get a little creative. with adjustable points on a mustang, you basicly have a 4 link where you can adjust instant center pretty easy. The torque arm car doesnt offer adjustable length of IC, but the height is pretty easy to change like the mustang.

In a 4 link application, Its realy about the same. If your running a 33" tire and the car is on the ground, the tire fits up in the c pillar a lot better on a mustang then a 4th gen camaro.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I think the camaro looks better(IMO). Also the camaro is more areodynamic, the reason most get mustangs is becasue they are lighter the begin with, but its not hard with a little time to make the camaro lighter. Look up dlove, his car(2000 camaro) wieghs in at 2800 with him in it.

Either car is cool, its all what you want. Both cars have potential.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SPEED#1
camaro, they are cheaper to build hands down. Mustangs you will find parts like eggs in a shopping store, but you will a lot for them. When you want a drag car stick with a chevy, why do you think so many mustang guys put in bbc or lsx-----because its cheaper and better
I agree with you as far as power is concerned, I was planning to do a mustang with a motorplate for a SBC or BBC. But I was really wondering about suspension.

And good point as far as stock vs 4 link I didnt mention in the original post but I'm going to stay stock style suspension becuase of class and budget concerns.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

We have one of each (2000 Z/28 and a mid 90's Mustang).

Looking at the facts, the Mustang is easier to put a BBC into. It has a lot more room to work on it as well.

Also, the Mustang is lighter.

The interior layout of the Mustang lends itself better to a rollcage and you can tuck a cage nicely to the roof, put the seat in a good spot, and not have your head on the halo bar.

From what I have found, I prefer the 4-link Mustang suspension since you don't need a panhard bar.

Ironically enough, I am the one with the Z/28!
Old 11-10-2009, 11:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

as long as it's a notch back the mustang chassis will be lighter and bout same price for suspension but the 8.8 will go into the 10's seen drag radials take them into the 9's honestly if i was buildin track only i'd go mustang but sbc engine look at racingjunk.com theres plenty of rollers for good prices most of the fast drag radial cars around here are notchback fox bodies
Old 11-10-2009, 11:56 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You give me a Foxbody in the 80's and yes a Notch is preferable, I will make a fast car for less $$$ since the driveline will be GM/LSX. I still love Fbody looks but for ease of chopping down the race weight, the LSX driveline on a Foxbody platform is a serious contender.

The Fbody plat form does have limitations and to get to a certain level of speed will require IMO more work to get there.

In the end it all depends on what you like to drive as well as having knowledge of that platform and know what works and what does not.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

not too sure weight matters when there is a weight min in most classes. 3200 pounds ain't all that hard to make w/ an F body. don't bring an LSX powered mustang to a GM shootout.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

wow wow what racing you planin on gettin into heads up drag radial and outlaw ain't cheap and you usually have to follow the series now bracket racin is easier cheaper and same track every week
Old 11-10-2009, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think it looks like the fox notch with a sbc may be the ticket to a nice somewhat affordable race car build. I like the fact that they are super light and you can add wieght where and when you want/need to.

As far as class there is a local class called street boss and I would like to run that class, and the rules are very similar to 275 but you can run a bigger tire. So it would kind of be a multi purpose car. Honestly I wouldn't mind taking my time and maybe a couple years down the road having a bad *** 275 contendor. But for now I would be happy with mid 8's.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:48 PM
TECH Addict

If I decide to get another barley streetable car it will be a notch with an all aluuminum BBC in it..........
Old 11-10-2009, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
If I decide to get another barley streetable car it will be a notch with an all aluuminum BBC in it..........
Sounds nasty, the only reason I'm going small block is because I want a turbo car and lots of limited combo classes wont let you run a turbo on a big block.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MelScrilla
Sounds nasty, the only reason I'm going small block is because I want a turbo car and lots of limited combo classes wont let you run a turbo on a big block.
I doubt I will ever class race because I don't like rules haha........ I hate it when someone says "you can't do that to your car".
Old 11-10-2009, 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my buddy has a 200x mustang GT, the new edge style not the 2005+. he has 4.10s in it with slicks. hes also a very good driver and cares very little about breaking the car. he has gone 13.2 @ 102 with the car making only 240 whp. he can launch with the 8.8 rear (although eventually he did twist an axle but it was still a cheap fix).

I go out with my firebird and, despite making 60 more rwhp, I run a 13.6 @ 101 because I
1) can't get traction worth a damn and can't put sticky tires on it because it will blow the rear
2) can't shift the car properly because the clutch pedal sticks to the floor so bad I couldn't even get it in 4th gear (hence the low trap speed)

it depends on what you want to do. do you want to spend $3000 on a rear and an adj master cyl or do you want to spend $3000 on a supercharger?

my buddy also hit his car with a 100whp shot of nitrous and went 12.6 @ 112 with a slipping clutch. I wont be able to touch that any time soon.

If I had to choose... well I did choose
Old 11-10-2009, 08:08 PM
TECH Regular

I don't know, seems like an abomination to put a chevy in a ford...lol
Old 11-10-2009, 08:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

sounds like there just gettin smart
Old 11-10-2009, 09:22 PM
Teching In

i would have to say mustang.alot of room for large intakes,light,good rear ends etc...
just a great platform allaround
Old 11-10-2009, 11:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by -JP-
i would have to say mustang.alot of room for large intakes,light,good rear ends etc...
just a great platform allaround

What blasphemy!!
Old 11-10-2009, 11:52 PM
10 Second Club

uh camaro duh.

Quick Reply: Better drag racing platform.....Mustang or Camaro?