Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Locktite Or Sealer For Studs In An Aluminum Block?

Old 11-10-2009, 11:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What Locktite Or Sealer For Studs In An Aluminum Block?

What is the proper sealer or Loktite for the threads to use, for various studs, in an aluminum engine block? Thanks
Old 11-10-2009, 12:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I used the arp lube on both sides of my studs, (nut side and block side threads) Main and head studs btw. Also I used hi temp antiseize on my arp header studs.

Last edited by conan; 11-10-2009 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:36 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Depends on which studs you're talking about. Head studs? Main studs? etc..

For head studs, ARP or any generic moly lube will work. I personally use a dab of 30wt oil. Works fine.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blue Loctite on the rocker arm bolts, just need to seal up the threads.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm considering making my own water pump studs. Think I will use a lesser strength Lock-Tite, like the blue version, to hold them in place.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:53 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

If you are threading a stud into a blind threaded hole (not exposed to oil or coolant) turn the stud in clean and dry bottomed out by hand. You don’t need a sealant or want a thread locker in this application.

If you are threading a stud into an oil or coolant exposed threaded hole, use Permatex High Tack Gasket Adhesive. It is oil, antifreeze and heat resistant and as it’s super sticky, it won’t wash off as ARP moly lube will. You don’t want or need a lube on these threads, you want a sealant that won’t wash off. The ARP stuff will wash off, the High Tack will not wash off. As a matter of fact, the High Tack will still be on the threads when you diss-assemble everything, even miles down the road. Permatex Indian Head also works very well.

In the case of an LS engine, it’s said that if there’s any water or liquids present in the head bolt holes, the block will crack when you torque down the heads due to the un-compressible nature of liquids. If you’re installing head studs for a LS block, put them in dry.

On the nut end of a stud, you should use some sort of lube. ARP moly, anti-seize, oil, grease, something anything. High torque nuts and bolts should also have lube between the head/nut and the washer it’s clamping down onto.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What Locktite Or Sealer For Studs In An Aluminum Block?