Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Help strange w/ Metal KNOCK/CLUNK when Front Susp Loads/Unloads

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 01:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help strange w/ Metal KNOCK/CLUNK when Front Susp Loads/Unloads

My new Z28 has had a list of problems I didn't know about when I bought it. The last one we have to sort, is this fairly consistent knock/clunk/crack or maybe pop that sounds like metal on metal/hard surface in the left/drivers front. It happens generally any time the front suspension loads or unloads slightly over uneven road or gradual bumps. We have had stethascopes all over it and cant track it down.. I should mention my front suspension/subframe is all BMR Tubular w/ one spherical rod end on each LCA.. It has LS1 brakes w/ Baer rotors. It also has Koni Single adjustable shocks and an Eibach/Ground Control Coil overs.

Now... So far we have had the brakes and upper mount out. The mount was replaced yesterday. The Spindles are powder coated and dont show any impact signs, along w/ either control arm. We added heater hose around the top of the coil spring, bc it had no isolator and wanted to be safe. Both ball joints have been greased along w/ the lot of the poly bushings. We can duplicate the sound when we jack the car up on the SFC and it unloads the suspension. My bolt in moly cage has a slight pop in it, but im pretty sure its not what were hearing much louder and to the front.. The only things left as suspects, my father and I imagine, are the ball joints, the Koni shock, and the spherical rod end. My uncle, who has managed GM dealers for years thought it was the upper strut mount(now replaced) and my father, who managed Toyota dealers for years, has never heard it before. We're stumped... Its consistant, somewhat loud, and very annoying. Im a perfectionist, someone please have experience w/ this and help me straiten this out... Thanks, to everyone, for your time!

Nick

Last edited by MavsFORMULA; 11-10-2009 at 02:07 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:44 PM
TECH Addict

Look at the shock mounts, the sway bar frame and end link bushings, in fact look at all the bushings.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:21 PM
TECH Addict

make sure the jam nuts on the rod ends are tight, i overlooked that and searched for my clunk for days haha
Old 11-10-2009, 11:59 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the help guys..

I just replaced the upper strut mount and the sound remains. The LCA is tubular and there Isn't much to the lower shock mount, but we centered the shock and retightened everything. I just pulled the front sway bar and it may be a little less frequent, but it still persists.. All the front bushings are like under 500 mi new poly's that come w/ BMR parts..
I have put a wrench on every bolt/nut in the front of the car, including subframe, motor mounts, control arms, rod ends, roll cage, etc... and no change.

Any other Ideas?
Old 12-05-2009, 12:10 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the help guys.. But I found it a couple days ago. Traced the clunk down, with a jack stand, to the Lower Ball Joint. Replaced it for ten bucks and haven't heard a sound.. Ahh!! I remember how amazing these cars can be, now!!