Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Wrecked my 96 SS

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wrecked my 96 SS

Wiped out on I-95 southbound only a little bit north of 210 monday night. Went from the middle lane to the right lane and tried to accellerate to pass a car and wiped out. I wasn't speeding but its my own fault... low tread on tires, and roads were wet. Not a single person hurt. Guard rail in did pretty much all the damage to my car. I hit two other cars in the spin and the one never stopped. The other that did had very minor damage. Have the car at a friends house. Hoping my motor is still okay and that I can find another cheap camaro or bird to swap it into... I found a cheap camaro at a junk yard but its a 93 and not sure how much hassle if any it would be. Let me serve as a warning to anyone thats got low tread! Get new tires already!

Old 11-12-2009, 06:25 PM

Ouch!

Glad you're ok though, kinda weird no one stopped. I would stop if someone slid out and clipped me. lol
Old 11-12-2009, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

The first car I hit just before the spin left the scene without stopping or talking with anyone. Tons of people stopped at first to make sure nobody was hurt. All in all, I'm very surprised at how no one esspecially me had any injuries. oh and another weird thing - the airbag in my car never deployed...
Old 11-12-2009, 10:31 PM
TECH Resident

Are you buying the car back?
Old 11-12-2009, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Had liability only since its been paid for for like 2 years. Car is all mine. Really hoping I can find a 96-97 rolling chassis to swap my stuff to.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:41 PM
TECH Resident

well if you can't find all that i would be interested in the motor/trans for maybe a swap for me. just pm me once you figure everything out. Sorry for your loss. My uncle lost a 98 z28 to bald tires also. I definately will never ride around on bald tires after reading these two experiences.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:10 AM
On The Tree

man that is never a smart thing to drive on bald tires,especially in an fbodie,haven't you noticed they love spinning outta control and they love hitting stuff,good luck though man
Old 11-14-2009, 02:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn that sucks. could this be a next contestant for a part out? if so shoot me a PM. i have a 94 LT1 TA to swap parts into if you are interested?
Old 11-14-2009, 08:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 506 Likes on 203 Posts

sorry bout you luck, least you ok, would you think you woul sell the z28-ss number bage that goes on the ash tray ?
Old 11-14-2009, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

sorry to hear about your car. It was a sweet ss
Old 11-15-2009, 04:55 AM
Teching In

i lost my 99 z28 in a verry similar fashion. glad youre safe man.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:06 AM
Teching In

Angry

Originally Posted by k5383
Ouch!

Glad you're ok though, kinda weird no one stopped. I would stop if someone slid out and clipped me. lol
Not weird, normal for Florida. They leave motorcyclists in the road too and drag bodies down the road. When I got hit on my bike they left me in the road too.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:04 AM
On The Tree

Glad your OK Bro. Hope you find what your looking for in a replacement.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for all the kind words. As for the Ashtray plate thing, I was actually thinking about putting my 96 center console or at least the ashtray part in the 97 I found as a memory/reminder. If I dont, I will shoot you a PM. Oh well, I thought I'd make another post here and just point out some weird/funny things about this accident:

- Airbag never deployed despite the amount of carnage it had on my front end. I know most of the impacts were not head-on so, maybe they are explainable but, the initial impact to the cars bumper that left, that was a head on hit, at least I thought.

- When I was chatting with folks in the #2 car I hit, we were both amazed that the #1 car left. Shared a mutual chuckle coming up with ideas why... Warrants for arrest? No license? No insurance? Stolen Car? Car carrying drugs to Miami? haha... all very possible here in FL.

-the 97z28 I'm picking up this sunday has an SS hood and spoiler on it already. Kinda softens the blow of losing my real SS.

- been thinking alot lately (prior to accident) how I wish I hadn't put all the extra weight (dynamat & stereo) in my SS and how I never use/take out the t-tops and how I wish I had darker interior... new car is hard top with dark interior and back to square one with stereo. ha.

- The day of the accident, a coworker was ragging on me about the tread on my tires being low and that I'm gonna get in a wreck. I proceded to talk about how I haven't had any tickets in 9 years and never had an accident in my life. Less than 12hours from that point I had to reset the counter on both.

- FHP cop (trooper S.J. Devine) was the nicest cop I've ever had to deal with especially being that I was at fault for the crash. Afterwards I had some issues with the towing company charging me way more than they should have and again, I contacted FHP personnel and they were VERY helpful in resolving the issue.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by hyperzone
- Airbag never deployed despite the amount of carnage it had on my front end. I know most of the impacts were not head-on so, maybe they are explainable but, the initial impact to the cars bumper that left, that was a head on hit, at least I thought.
i have been in 3 different accidents with 2 different F-bodys, and i have never had an airbag comeout
Old 11-18-2009, 09:01 PM
12 Second Club

I know how it feels to wreck a car you like/love. Glad to hear your ok but, now its time for a upgrade
Old 11-19-2009, 04:26 PM
TECH Resident

so what are you doing with the drivetrain? or is the new car not have any?
Old 11-19-2009, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have not seen the new car yet in person but have discussed it over the phone and have seen photos... so... it very well could be a surprise when I get there. As long as everything is legit, it is a whole functioning z28 just minus the 6-speed which I have my own already. I will be picking and choosing which parts stay and which will go on the new car when I have them side by side. My motor and trans are going in. It should be a 3.42 rear just like mine is so, I'll probably leave it. Once I get all the stuff swapped the way I like, I will figure out what will happen with the rest... I'm starting to get greedy ideas though... like, it would be nice to have a spare motor and rearend laying around... haha.. In reality, I'll probably start a part-out thread when I get to that point cause I will need to get back some money that I spent due to the crash and getting the replacement car. It will probably be 2-3 weeks from this sunday.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow that really sucks to see. I miss mine, and mine was a 96 as well. It really sucks.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:25 PM
Launching!

My airbag didn't deploy when I hit a gaurdrail either. I was coming up an on ramp and tried to speed up on bald tires and it downshifted and kicked out. Didn't hit anyone though. Sorry to see the loss but glad you're ok

Quick Reply: Wrecked my 96 SS