Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Strange 12-bolt : What is this?????????

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 12:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange 12-bolt : What is this?????????

Ok I bought a used Strange 12-bolt and I was prepping it for paint, when I noticed it leaked a couple drops of oil.

I found that there was a cap that had a hole in the top of it. Here are the pictures.

Here it is sitting next to the hole it was plugging

The original seller told me it was probably a cap over where the ABS sensor was or something like that, and then another guy locally told me it was a breather and I need to buy a new one.

So does anybody know for sure what it is, and where can I get another one?
Old 11-14-2009, 01:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't tell you if that's where the breather should be but I can tell you it needs a breather and it will leak if you flip the rear for prep. Just put a regular bolt in there while you prep.

Many rears have a rubber hose attached to the breather that then runs up, is attached to the body and has a float in it to preveny water from getting in. You might look into that as the weeping from the breathers is annoying.
Old 11-14-2009, 02:21 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is a brass screen breather. It's commonly used on aftermarket rearends. Make sure it's clean and is placed back in the rearend hole or install a threaded nipple with a couple foot of 1/4-5/16 fuel line to vent the rearend.

G/L
Old 11-14-2009, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Probably too late by now if you have already painted the rearend - but POR 15 looks good and is very durable on rearends. It is very easy to clean too compared to regular paint.

Mine after 4 years.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1835930...7602956888623/
Old 11-14-2009, 03:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

POR-15 is the ****!!

just DONT get it on anything you want to keep or on your handes, you cant simply wash it off, it has to wear off.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TXCAMSS
That is a brass screen breather. It's commonly used on aftermarket rearends. Make sure it's clean and is placed back in the rearend hole or install a threaded nipple with a couple foot of 1/4-5/16 fuel line to vent the rearend.

G/L
Is it supposed to have a big hole in it though? Pretty sure I need a new one cause the cap just has a giant hole in it, you can see it in the first pic I posted.

Where would I get another breather like that? I know what size the threads are on it, it's an 1/8'' pipe fitting size. All I found at the hardware store were just regular old brass caps, nothing that was breathable.

Also I haven't painted it yet, I don't have actual POR-15 brand stuff, I have some rustoleum products that are basically the same thing. The primer is designed for applying over cleaned up rusty metal and the paint is really thick almost lacquer like stuff that says it's designed for automotive use.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:29 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

I actually removed that from mine as soon as I got the rear end - I ended up running my own vent made from a rubber hose, and brass barbed nipple, and one of those white plastic vent thingies. I just didn't like the idea of having oil spraying everywhere with a breather fitting like that...
Old 11-15-2009, 07:44 AM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

I agree that it would better to add the barbed nipple and hose looped so the opening is facing down. The brass vent should have brass mesh over the top and not open so that one is junk. They also clog up easily IMO so the vented hose is the best way to go.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spoonraker
Is it supposed to have a big hole in it though? Pretty sure I need a new one cause the cap just has a giant hole in it, you can see it in the first pic I posted.

Where would I get another breather like that? I know what size the threads are on it, it's an 1/8'' pipe fitting size. All I found at the hardware store were just regular old brass caps, nothing that was breathable.

Also I haven't painted it yet, I don't have actual POR-15 brand stuff, I have some rustoleum products that are basically the same thing. The primer is designed for applying over cleaned up rusty metal and the paint is really thick almost lacquer like stuff that says it's designed for automotive use.
Yes it's supposed to have a hole in it and yes, get a brass cap with a nipple and attach a hose and plastic breather cap.

Rustoleum isn't bad but nothing near POR 15. Eastwood also has rust encapsulator and Chassis black that I have had good luck with.

Quick Reply: Strange 12-bolt : What is this?????????