Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hole In Piston symptoms

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 01:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hole In Piston symptoms

what are some symptoms of a hole in your piston?
Old 11-14-2009, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Severe miss/engine shake and pouring smoke out the exhaust.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:24 PM
11 Second Club

i changed my plugs cause i thought it was just a miss and 5 of them where really messed up the ground electrode on 5 where completely gone and the other three u could tell suffered some heat damage this all happened after a test run on a 150 shot the nitrous didnt hit when it was supposed to at 3400 but hit really late it felt fine when driving afterwards till i was coming to a stop i could fell the car shaking and my exhaust sounds diff around certain rpms than it did the car runs like sh*t like im running 7 cylinders lol but there is no pouring smoke at all...
Old 11-14-2009, 06:16 PM
11 Second Club

when i blew a hole in #1 i did a big burn out (spraying 150 like a jack ***) in front of my buddies house to **** him off and stayed in it till about 120mph when i looked in the rear veiw and the smoke kept following me LOL

It smoked like a bug fogger. tore it down and it had about a 1/2 inch dia hole blew through it. I just threw another piston and rod in it that i had from the last moter. reused the bearing and she was back together.

I have like 6 pistons and rod asy with arp bolts left if you need one let me know you can have one.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

sounds like you ran lean and burned some stuff up, the plug damage was probably from the nitrouse.

What you need to do is a compression test as soon as you can, this will help determin the problem, if you have just 1 cylinder with no pressure then you narrowed it down, if you have multiple then you may be looking at a head gasket. could be burnt rings to.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:09 PM
Teching In

I just found out I have a hole in the number 7 piston. It was creating a random misfire code for mine. Pushing oil up onto the spark plug, making it not fire at all. Starting the tear down process on Monday. Never done it before so we will see how it goes.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:20 PM
TECH Regular

Just because you dont burn oil doesnt mean you dont have a bad piston... burned mine at the top and lost the portion just above the piston ring... didnt suck up oil but any compression pushed past... only symptoms were when i pulled off oil cap it blew a smoke ring every time #7 fired... also fuel smelled heavily of gasoline and got dirty fast. Let me repeat that... burned NO oil.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:26 PM
Launching!

Also broke,

a piece of #7 piston (part of the crown just under the exhaust valve). This caused a tapping noise and no oil smoke.

Did the mod for stopping #7 from overheating and 4 years on still okay.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:50 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TermnEatr
i changed my plugs cause i thought it was just a miss and 5 of them where really messed up the ground electrode on 5 where completely gone and the other three u could tell suffered some heat damage this all happened after a test run on a 150 shot the nitrous didnt hit when it was supposed to at 3400 but hit really late it felt fine when driving afterwards till i was coming to a stop i could fell the car shaking and my exhaust sounds diff around certain rpms than it did the car runs like sh*t like im running 7 cylinders lol but there is no pouring smoke at all...
mine just did the same thing last week. i made a nitrous pass and it floated out at the top, still went 10.9 but on the return rd was missing, and i assumed i fouled a plug. came home and realized i could hold my had on 3 header primarys while running. 5, 7, &8. changed plugs,(one electrode was gone and porcelin broke, others just fuel and oil covered.) still didnt fix it. checked for spark and they all had it. then compression checked cylinder 5 and was no good. tried scoping it but couldnt see very well. but its not smoking or using oil just missing and poping a lil. o well time for the new build anyway.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:52 AM
11 Second Club

thanks guys im gonna run a compresion test asap if its anything to do with the internals im just gonna start my new build it winter anyways lol
Old 11-15-2009, 04:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

why dont u just do a compression test. then a leak down test.

that should really tell you if something broke
Old 11-15-2009, 04:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sid447
Also broke,

a piece of #7 piston (part of the crown just under the exhaust valve). This caused a tapping noise and no oil smoke.

Did the mod for stopping #7 from overheating and 4 years on still okay.

I am new here, what mod is there for #7 I plan to run nos so this tip would help me out alot, I have heard alot about that pistion being the weak link

Quick Reply: Hole In Piston symptoms