Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weiand/Lingenfelter Intake?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 06:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weiand/Lingenfelter Intake?

One of these is for sale on Ebay. Are they any good? What's the horsepower range and RPM range? I'm in the process of putting a 6.0L from a 2500 Silverado, and wondering if it's worth getting, or get a regular car intake. Thanks, Chris.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont waste your time or your money with those cast alumium intakes. Save up for a FAST or just put an LS6 on it if your wallet wont allow. I didnt have the Weiand but I use to have the PP Typhoon 85mm intake. When I switch to a ported FAST 92, I gain 36 rwhp over the cast aluminum Typhoon intake.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BarneyMobile
dont waste your time or your money with those cast alumium intakes. Save up for a FAST or just put an LS6 on it if your wallet wont allow. I didnt have the Weiand but I use to have the PP Typhoon 85mm intake. When I switch to a ported FAST 92, I gain 36 rwhp over the cast aluminum Typhoon intake.
What he said.

Just get an LS6. They are readily available and cheap. Plus they are proven performers.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i have the weiand and love it havent got it dynoed yet, but seat to the pants feels has increased, and dont worry bout heat soak is BS, yea it gets warm but after every pass i have made it wasnt much warmer then the plastic one, also to me unless you have a 408+ CI motor with nasty heads a FAST is a waste of money, i got my Weiand for $250 localy, a LS6 goes for about 300-350 average, so get the Weiand and some spray or even a whole cam kit(spring pushrods etc.) and gain 100+ HP not just 36 like the FAST but thats just my opinion
Old 11-16-2009, 09:31 AM
Staging Lane

I have one. you can take the bottom off the make it easy to port, also I got a 90mm t-body and made the opening 90mm. I got a polished one for $250 local.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Gives you around the same horsepower as the LS6...alot of guys choose that because of its looks.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:43 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by witry
i have the weiand and love it havent got it dynoed yet, but seat to the pants feels has increased, and dont worry bout heat soak is BS, yea it gets warm but after every pass i have made it wasnt much warmer then the plastic one, also to me unless you have a 408+ CI motor with nasty heads a FAST is a waste of money, i got my Weiand for $250 localy, a LS6 goes for about 300-350 average, so get the Weiand and some spray or even a whole cam kit(spring pushrods etc.) and gain 100+ HP not just 36 like the FAST but thats just my opinion
Your looking at this the wrong way. I gained 36rwph over the cast aluminum intake that I had before. I my car already had heads/cam and nitrous when I had the aluminum intake. The FAST intake made 36rwhp more on motor and 50rwhp more on nitrous. Nothing else changed but the intake, so what does that say about aluminum intakes.

I use to think that heat soak was BS, truth is, its very real. One summer day out at the track I notice my MPH going down after each run. I started the day out at 118 on motor, after 3 passes I was down to 115. The intake was really hot and never cooled down. after I swapped to a FAST, my MPH went up to 122 and stayed there. The plastic intakes dont retain the heat like the metal ones do. Trust me, its a waste of money and they guys that have those cast intakes will say anything to justify the money they wasted on them.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your looking at this the wrong way. I gained 36rwph over the cast aluminum intake that I had before. I my car already had heads/cam and nitrous when I had the aluminum intake. The FAST intake made 36rwhp more on motor and 50rwhp more on nitrous. Nothing else changed but the intake, so what does that say about aluminum intakes.

I use to think that heat soak was BS, truth is, its very real. One summer day out at the track I notice my MPH going down after each run. I started the day out at 118 on motor, after 3 passes I was down to 115. The intake was really hot and never cooled down. after I swapped to a FAST, my MPH went up to 122 and stayed there. The plastic intakes dont retain the heat like the metal ones do. Trust me, its a waste of money and they guys that have those cast intakes will say anything to justify the money they wasted on them.
So your aluminum one wasnt ported, but the FAST was? There could be your 35rwhp right there.

Heat soak is bullshit.

Your car couldve been slowing down due to weather, 60' changing, etc. Were you popping the hood between runs and letting it cool down at all? Were the 60' times the same each pass?

I use to hot lap the ***** off the 86 IROC in my sig with a bullshit 468 in it with an ALUMINUM intake and the ET or MPH never changed, lol.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by TooLateVTEC
Heat soak is bullshit.
I use to hot lap the ***** off the 86 IROC in my sig with a bullshit 468 in it with an ALUMINUM intake and the ET or MPH never changed, lol.
I would think the extra engine bay room in your iroc helped with cooling. The
ls1 is packed into the engine bay. Hell it sits 1/2 way under the cowl on the
4th gen f-body. Imo Gm went to the plastic intake for a reason on these cars.

*op, I vote ls6 intake or a fast 90 if you have the cash!!
Old 11-16-2009, 04:45 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TooLateVTEC
So your aluminum one wasnt ported, but the FAST was? There could be your 35rwhp right there.

Heat soak is bullshit.

Your car couldve been slowing down due to weather, 60' changing, etc. Were you popping the hood between runs and letting it cool down at all? Were the 60' times the same each pass?

If you think that porting one of those LS1/LS6 style aluminum intakes is worth 35 extra hp at the wheels then you should rethink your hobbies! A ported Fast might only make 10hp more than unported.

That day at the track was in the middle of the summer, the temp was staying around 89*-91* My 60's where all between 1.68 and 1.74. The DA was around +1300. My ET's on motor were 11.80's and progressively got slower as the day went on (finished the day out with a 12.24@115mph). Two weeks later I installed my FAST intake and got it retuned (Same Turner for both pre and post FAST). Previous dyno #'s were 398hp/376tq, after the FAST (same dyno) 434hp/405tq. Went back to the track and magicly ran 4 tenths quicker and 4mph higher in +1950 DA. My 60's drop to 1.61's-1.65's. All I did was change intakes.

If you dont want to listen to me, then call a reputable Tuner and see what they have to say about the matter.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:03 PM
10 Second Club

That's funny you guys are argueing over the performance of a manifold and the only think it has in common with the Weiand is that they're both aluminum. So we've established you don't like the typhoon.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you think that porting one of those LS1/LS6 style aluminum intakes is worth 35 extra hp at the wheels then you should rethink your hobbies! A ported Fast might only make 10hp more than unported.

That day at the track was in the middle of the summer, the temp was staying around 89*-91* My 60's where all between 1.68 and 1.74. The DA was around +1300. My ET's on motor were 11.80's and progressively got slower as the day went on (finished the day out with a 12.24@115mph). Two weeks later I installed my FAST intake and got it retuned (Same Turner for both pre and post FAST). Previous dyno #'s were 398hp/376tq, after the FAST (same dyno) 434hp/405tq. Went back to the track and magicly ran 4 tenths quicker and 4mph higher in +1950 DA. My 60's drop to 1.61's-1.65's. All I did was change intakes.

If you dont want to listen to me, then call a reputable Tuner and see what they have to say about the matter.

You picked up almost 30 ft/trq ? Id say something was way wrong with either the intake or tune...thats a shitload.

My other car thats tune by me and my dad only, runs mid 5's in the 1/8th with conventional heads, 1 carb and no power adders and I need to change hobbies? LMMFAO
Old 11-17-2009, 10:18 AM
12 Second Club

Point blank, if a ****** Fast intake doesnt make more power than a intake made to show similar power gains to a LS6, then there is something major wrong. Especially if the Fast is ported.

You cannot compare these intakes. The Fast makes more power than almost every other intake on the market for the LS motors. If your gonna compare intakes you gotta compare similar intakes. For example a BBK vs Weiand vs LS6. Not a Weiand cast to flow the same as a LS6 vs a Fast made to outflow a LS6 by a ton. Thats just ignorant to even attempt to compare those intakes. They are on 2 completely different levels. Not to mention if the Fast wasnt pickin up that much their price tag wouldnt be as high as it is either.

For a budget build, the aluminum BBK & Weiand are a good option compared to a LS6 if you like the aluminum look better. And they are especially a good option for a boosted motor.

On heat soak if you wanna buy into that be my guest. But the reality is the only time your gonna see any slight heat soak is while sitting in traffic with the engine running or some similar situation. Once the TB opens & fresh air rushes in it is NOT in the intake or cylinder heads long enough to make a difference. Period. The air isnt just chilling in the intake & slowly moving thru the heads. At WOT there is some serious airflow goin on & heat soak is not a issue.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:44 PM
10 Second Club

I've done alot of research into this with actual dyno charts, LS6 and fast intakes are similiar in performance up until the higher rpm, if you have a motor capable of pulling to 7000rpm the fast is the only way to go.

When you decide on a intake the first question to ask yourself is how high do you plan on turning the motor.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
Imo Gm went to the plastic intake for a reason on these cars.
sure they did. Manufacturing costs. It's a lot cheaper to pop plastic out of an injection molding machine than casting aluminum at a foundry.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jim85IROC
sure they did. Manufacturing costs. It's a lot cheaper to pop plastic out of an injection molding machine than casting aluminum at a foundry.
exactly, its all about cost, as for the ls6 to the fast, i ran a stock ls6 on my h/c car untill 7100, it made power the whole way, now we ported it, i cant wait to see what happens next dyno time. bottom line. fast is way over priced and a waste of money. hands down
Old 11-20-2009, 03:07 PM
Teching In

Default 04 Intake

What are the flow #'s on this intake. I have been told it is a decent intake. AFR 205's flow 300 cfm @ .600. The flow of a ported FAST 90 flatens out @
.575. I bought a vette and the previous owner put the AFR's on and did nothing else of consequence. Been looking at manifolds but can't find flow #'s for the one I have.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:16 PM
Staging Lane

Which is better, the weiand or the bbk?
Old 11-20-2009, 03:24 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TurboChris
One of these is for sale on Ebay. Are they any good? What's the horsepower range and RPM range? I'm in the process of putting a 6.0L from a 2500 Silverado, and wondering if it's worth getting, or get a regular car intake. Thanks, Chris.
If its cheaper than a reg LS6 intake, y not?

I bought mine years ago for $300 + the gasket set, I used to spray before I installed my MS4.
(I still have the spray, but I never use it...I rarely drive the car anymore)
Old 11-20-2009, 07:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

LS6 is great, but when you spend the money for a FAST make sure its ported and thats pretty much the best you can get. comparing intakes that only vary 5-10 hp mean nothing, but i gained 20rwhp and a lot more throttle response when i went from LS6 to ported fast 92/92. its all about how much you want to invest into that machine.

Quick Reply: Weiand/Lingenfelter Intake?