Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads and cam questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 08:03 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Heads and cam questions

Car- 01WS6 A4, Kooks 1 3/4 LTs & catted Y, GMMG, FAST92/PTM92 combo, SVO 30# injectors, have but not installed Yank SS4000 BNIB

Goal- somewhere around 450 RWHP + or - 25, also want a nasty mean sounding thump

Car will be mostly a street beast with an occasional (and I mean occasional) track visit. I weigh 300+ pounds, not exactly conducive to fast ET's

I have my eyes on a set of Ported 317's that are 60cc instead of the stock 70cc, with Ferrea 2.02/1.57 21-4N Stainless valves and no springs, they have not been re-assembled since port work so very fresh. Not that I think these are the greatest choice but they have a few things I like, mostly no springs(want to start with new springs) and a very reasonable price point. I guess my question firstly is these will work on a stock bottom end LS1? Also, what kind of compression ratio(approximate) will these yield with the 60cc chambers?

The next area of concern is the cam. I have been reading reading and reading. The cams giving me most interest so far have been the TSP Torquer v3, Thunder Trak cam, Futral F14, a few others and also having one spec'd out for the heads. Would any of these work with these heads and put me somewhere close to my HP target? I know there is no way to know for sure and depends upon tuning and other factors but in theory? Are they large enough to take advantage of the Yank SS4000?

Any and all input is greatly appreciated!! I have fretted over even posting this because of looking like a noob and being told to read the stickies After reading for a few hours today and seeing some even sillier questions I figured WTF!

Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings and in advance for any and all help.

Jman
Old 11-17-2009, 12:22 PM
Launching!

Last edited by j-man; 11-17-2009 at 06:20 PM. Reason: I sounded like a 'lil bitch
Old 11-17-2009, 03:01 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If those heads are truely 60cc's than they have milled atleast .060". If you mill must past .040" you will have alignment issues with your intake. Also since they have been milled so much you will be very limited on your cam choices as piston to valve clearance is going to be very minimal. I do not think a 230's duration cam will safely clear with that much milling.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:19 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I recall speaking with someone about a very similar combo yesterday....but in case it wasn't you, I'll post this anyway!

Like Nitrous stated above, to get down to a 60cc chamber, they'd have to be milled at least .060"! That's ALOT! You have to worry about alignment issues as well as flow characteristics at that point, not to mention piston to valve clearance problems. I'd recommend getting them CC'd to verify they've actually been cut that much, and then getting them onto the flow bench to see what they're like on the flow side of things. Unless you're getting a CRAZY deal on them, I'd venture to say that the price won't be worth the performance gains and headaches on this one.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 11-17-2009, 03:28 PM
Restricted User

You can never go wrong with a cam spec'd just for your personal setup. I think the TEA LS6 heads would be a better choice than those 317's IMHO
Old 11-17-2009, 03:32 PM
Launching!

Thank you so much guys

This is exactly the problem I was having with the for sale add (no, it wasn't I you spoke with ) it being such a huge drop going from 70cc to 60cc! The price is cheap but not enough to deal with all the issues. Thanks again! I really am trying to get the best deal on heads but I am gonna buy everything else new (cam, springs, timing chain, oil pump, etc). This info was perfectly timed cause I was gonna contact the seller tonight about a deal. Thank you for saving me much work. Without spending the 2 grand on TFS or AFRs what type head and cc head would I need to direct my attention to?

Am I in the right ballpark as far as cam choices of accomplishing the heavy thump and HP #'s I am wanting?

Thanks again for the replies fellas! See, that is why this has been my home for so long

Jman
Old 11-17-2009, 03:42 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
I recall speaking with someone about a very similar combo yesterday....but in case it wasn't you, I'll post this anyway!

Like Nitrous stated above, to get down to a 60cc chamber, they'd have to be milled at least .060"! That's ALOT! You have to worry about alignment issues as well as flow characteristics at that point, not to mention piston to valve clearance problems. I'd recommend getting them CC'd to verify they've actually been cut that much, and then getting them onto the flow bench to see what they're like on the flow side of things. Unless you're getting a CRAZY deal on them, I'd venture to say that the price won't be worth the performance gains and headaches on this one.

LOL, you recall speaking with me. I was laughing when I read this post because his setup is almost identical to mine (see my sig.).

I would suggest the PRC 5.3L Stage II Heads to the poster. Great heads for the money.

I am still trying to figure out what cam I want to swap into my car? I currently have a 228/228 576/563 on a 114.

I am looking at the TSP Magic Stick 3 (on a 113).

Last edited by Bill'sWS6; 11-17-2009 at 03:52 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:03 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^Ahh, small world (or small forum)! Your signature says 5.3L heads though....whomever I spoke with was talking about 317 heads shaved to 59 or 60cc....?

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 11-17-2009, 04:21 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
^^Ahh, small world (or small forum)! Your signature says 5.3L heads though....whomever I spoke with was talking about 317 heads shaved to 59 or 60cc....?
Now that you mention it I think I might have talked with Jon. Either way, Texas Speed has GREAT customer service. I bought my ported Fast 92mm & 92mm PTM TB from you along with some other goodies a couple months ago. Just swapping out the intake and TB and tweaking my tune a bit got me 3.7 MPH and I dropped .3 in the 1/4.

A suggestion to the poster. Think in terms of a combo based on proven track time and not RWHP.

The combo I currently have is a 11.7 setup with a small cam. Not sure what the RWHP is on it. I know plenty of people looking for high RWHP numbers and not low track times. There are plenty of cars with 375 RWHP that crushed my last car that had 425 RWHP. They were just running a better overall package.

With a 4,000 converter I would be shocked to see a 450RWHP setup that has good street manners. Not that it can't be done but makes it more difficult.

Get some PRC Stage II Heads (5.3L) and a nice mid/big sized cam like the Magic Stick 3 or the 233/239, .595"/.603" cam that TSP puts out. This should put your car in the mid 11s. Spend the extra money saved on the heads for a pair of MT ET Streets to hook up with the TQ your car will put down with this setup.

Good Luck!!!

Last edited by Bill'sWS6; 11-17-2009 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:48 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by j-man
Thank you so much guys

This is exactly the problem I was having with the for sale add (no, it wasn't I you spoke with ) it being such a huge drop going from 70cc to 60cc! The price is cheap but not enough to deal with all the issues. Thanks again! I really am trying to get the best deal on heads but I am gonna buy everything else new (cam, springs, timing chain, oil pump, etc). This info was perfectly timed cause I was gonna contact the seller tonight about a deal. Thank you for saving me much work. Without spending the 2 grand on TFS or AFRs what type head and cc head would I need to direct my attention to?

Am I in the right ballpark as far as cam choices of accomplishing the heavy thump and HP #'s I am wanting?

Thanks again for the replies fellas! See, that is why this has been my home for so long

Jman
I would say try to find a used set of PRC 5.3 heads or some TEA LS6 heads. These heads have great bang for the buck and with a custom grind cam you should be really pleased with the results.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Bill'sWS6
A suggestion to the poster. Think in terms of a combo based on proven track time and not RWHP.

The combo I currently have is a 11.7 setup with a small cam. Not sure what the RWHP is on it. I know plenty of people looking for high RWHP numbers and not low track times. There are plenty of cars with 375 RWHP that crushed my last car that had 425 RWHP. They were just running a better overall package.

With a 4,000 converter I would be shocked to see a 450RWHP setup that has good street manners. Not that it can't be done but makes it more difficult.

Get some PRC Stage II Heads (5.3L) and a nice mid/big sized cam like the Magic Stick 3 or the 233/239, .595"/.603" cam that TSP puts out. This should put your car in the mid 11s. Spend the extra money saved on the heads for a pair of MT ET Streets to hook up with the TQ your car will put down with this setup.

Good Luck!!!
Very cool!

Thanks for the info. You are right, I should know better to think of just HP numbers as long as I have been around My goal is to have a mean *** thump and plenty of power/torque to go with it. Otherwise, I would just put a Hot cam in it and call it a day I just need to slow down a little and make the right decisions. After the FAST92/PTM92/30#inj/tune install, the difference it made in power and acceleration had me driving with a boner All I could think about was "I have got to do heads/cam NOW!!!" Like I said, I am trying to save as much as possible on the heads(not to the point of buying junk) even if I have to pick up a set bare. I have no problem buying all new valves, springs, cam, and other related parts. I have 121,000 miles on my baby and will be replacing the lifters and timing chain/sprockets and oil pump as well.

Thanks again guys I will go back to the drawing board on heads and make sure I get something that will benefit me the most while not breaking the bank! After that I will explore the cam options either off the shelf or have one spec'd to match the heads/converter.

Jman
Old 11-17-2009, 06:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FMS_FTW
I would say try to find a used set of PRC 5.3 heads or some TEA LS6 heads. These heads have great bang for the buck and with a custom grind cam you should be really pleased with the results.
Will do!

Both of those keep popping up as suggestions, not just in this thread.

Thanks again

Jman