LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

intake issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 10:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default intake issue

So this has been brought up many times and i want to get something out.
I think everyone can agree that the LS4 intake is crap (even ported to stage2) as i found out. But there have been about three people that got ls6 or ls2 intakes on our engines. Those people though posted NO dyno results or 1/4 mile results. Which leads me to believe there are little to no gains to be seen from doing an intake......unless someone can post numbers or a dyno graph to prove me wrong
Old 11-17-2009, 07:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I know bad things can happen in your life and people can get distracted etc....

But I am with the OP, it seems everyone who goes all out either never dynos the car, or dynos the car...it performs poorly....and then they don't post about it.

Either way the real way to make power is to have lots of Displacement...an engine is an air pump more size = more room for air...FI is the way to make the power we are all looking for.

It sucks that just 400 CC's could matter so much....
Old 11-17-2009, 09:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a 5.3 is plenty big to be making power and i WILL post results on this intake swap and promise plenty of power gain! as said in your post about your recent mods sittingmongoose, maybe you're just doing the wrong mods. you even admited you went to radical on the heads. i think the problem is that on a N/A motor, you will only flow SO MUCH air and the people doing crazy mods are trying too much. our heads are fine, our cam isn't the greatest but is fine. if these headers go thru, great, even better. the people talking about using a FAST intake for the manifold swap is WAY overkill! you can over carb a motor and this is the same concept. why put a huge manifold that will flow a million cfm when our motor will only take so much N/A? use a manifold that will be reasonable. an LS1 or LS2 intake is PLENTY of improvement and will give you nice gains without overkill. going back to the mods sittingmongoose has, you may not see as big of a gain like the rest of us because of the already radical setup you already have which most of your parts are overkill. on a mostly stock motor, a nice improvement in air flow will give great gains if you dont over do it! When i get the parts I will put my money where my mouth is and prove to all the non-believers what kind of gains are possible with a MILD yet effeciant intake swap!
Old 11-17-2009, 10:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So what are you guys thinking...LS2 Cam, LS2 Intake, Headers = around 45-60 hp at the Flywheel??
Old 11-17-2009, 04:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan921SS
So what are you guys thinking...LS2 Cam, LS2 Intake, Headers = around 45-60 hp at the Flywheel??
I hate to speculate on things like this. I think anything is possible. But with any of those mods, especially all three, a custom dyno tune is essential to seeing good results. Since we don't have any dyno sheets (yet) to give us an estimate on the LS2 intake and new headers, all we can do is wait or do it ourselves.

Unfortunately, none of this stuff is cheap. Times are tough now. I completely understand why people want to see proof of what their money is buying. That is why I appreciate those who can, and do, pioneer modifications for LS4s, and share their experience (good and bad), techniques, and recommendations.

It is the sharing of information that is the whole point of the forum. I think our LS4 section is the best forum I have come across for anything. There are a lot of exciting things coming in the near future. I can't wait to get my car out of storage and get back into the action with you guys again.