Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

My thoughts on Sam springs/swaybars/Koni shocks...

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 07:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My thoughts on Sam springs/swaybars/Koni shocks...

WOW!

I road race my car, a lot... Anyway, I was running on the sock WS6 stuff for a while. Just taking the time to get used to a new car and how to drive it. Well I started driving "past" the stock suspension. So after some research on here I desided on Sam's stuff. He really helped me out even when I was overseas and couldn't be a nicer guy. So I got the stuff bolted up and took the car to CMP in Kershaw,SC. A track I've never driven before, on a new suspension, so I was a little anxious about the weekend. After two sessions on track I could feel what an improvement the set up was. The car proved to be extremely neutral, and very prdictable. My lap times did nothing but improve over the weekend. So thanks Sam. I couldn't be happier with my setup and would recomend his stuff to anyone how is thinking about suspension upgrades..

Kyle
Old 11-19-2009, 11:22 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Thank you very much for the review Kyle. I might not have the fanciest website. I might not have 3 guys bombing you with "buy this" all the time (which I think is good).

What I do have is experience, real and tangible experience that is backed up with results. I just need to get folks to see through the show many put on and realize that suspensions that work, is what I do.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-19-2009, 12:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, they're awesome and was a night a day difference for me. I would recommend them to anyone looking to upgrade their shocks and springs.

By the way, Sam, are their any torque specs for the shocks and other suspension parts unbolted during the install? The nut on the top of the shock is supposed to be 33ft lbs right? What about the rest? Anything specific?
Old 11-19-2009, 01:02 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

All GM spec except the top nut on the Koni which is 33. The specs are around, someone posted them the other day. They are in the service manual too. I'm sorry I just don't have a lot of time to type them all up.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-19-2009, 01:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TempleU_WS6
Yeah, they're awesome and was a night a day difference for me. I would recommend them to anyone looking to upgrade their shocks and springs.

By the way, Sam, are their any torque specs for the shocks and other suspension parts unbolted during the install? The nut on the top of the shock is supposed to be 33ft lbs right? What about the rest? Anything specific?
Here you go copied from that other post.

rear lower shock nut- 66ft/lbs
upper ball joint nut- 39 ft/lbs
front upper shock nut- 32 ft/lbs
front upper shock bolt- 37 ft/lbs
front lower bolt/nuts- 48 ft/lbs
stabilizer bar link bolts/nut- 17 ft/lbs
Old 11-19-2009, 10:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll be talking with Sam as soon as I'm ready to begin my suspension changes. Hopefully I can get some help taking on a friend of mine in some local autocross with his stuff.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:09 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the feedback. Talked with Sam earlier this week and ordered up the spring/koni package myself. Deff knows his way around a suspension and what works with what. Got me pointed in the right direction, put a lot of myths to rest, cut through all the B.S. out there, saved me some $$ on parts I was sure I needed but didn't. Once I purchased parts and established the customer loyalty base Sam and I spent a while talking about my goals and how to reach them. And not just suspension but wheel and tire combination to get the best out of it. Very cool guy to talk to.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

I have the Konis, I'm wanting to get his springs. I'm kinda waiting until he gets a status on when he will be receiving them before I order.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:11 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I don't have a date specifically, but it will be very soon as they have been in transit for quite a while now....

I've got to tell you that you shouldn't wait too long, because I keep getting orders placed (there is no charge for backordering, the charge comes when the springs are ready to ship out the door). I've already got just over 1/3rd of the total run pre-sold.... This is why I can't keep up, there are always folks just waiting to order until they arrive, I can't judge it, and the run sucks me dry--then we wait for the next batch!

Old 11-20-2009, 05:26 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by redracer1
Thanks for the feedback. Talked with Sam earlier this week and ordered up the spring/koni package myself. Deff knows his way around a suspension and what works with what. Got me pointed in the right direction, put a lot of myths to rest, cut through all the B.S. out there, saved me some $$ on parts I was sure I needed but didn't. Once I purchased parts and established the customer loyalty base Sam and I spent a while talking about my goals and how to reach them. And not just suspension but wheel and tire combination to get the best out of it. Very cool guy to talk to.

Thank you! PS, your shocks are in transit. I'm looking for a spring update hope to have it on Monday.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I don't have a date specifically, but it will be very soon as they have been in transit for quite a while now....

I've got to tell you that you shouldn't wait too long, because I keep getting orders placed (there is no charge for backordering, the charge comes when the springs are ready to ship out the door). I've already got just over 1/3rd of the total run pre-sold.... This is why I can't keep up, there are always folks just waiting to order until they arrive, I can't judge it, and the run sucks me dry--then we wait for the next batch!
I just placed my order Sam. Thanks!
Old 11-20-2009, 05:41 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Got it.... you are officially in line and a set will be shipped to you ASAP when the springs arrive. Again, no charge (so don't look for one) until the springs are ready to head out the door.

Thank you for your business, and if you have any questions--just let me know.

Old 11-21-2009, 03:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

nice thread,

Sam ill be call u soon from Kuwait, just need to deal with my bent rear end now
Old 11-21-2009, 11:22 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Thank you! PS, your shocks are in transit. I'm looking for a spring update hope to have it on Monday.
No problem..Thanks for the time. I received the rears shocks Friday and I'll get the fronts on Monday. I need to send you a different shipping address tho, I live in a gated complex and sometimes get the dreaded sorry we missed you note from the FedEx guy....PM sent.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sam is the man

Quick Reply: My thoughts on Sam springs/swaybars/Koni shocks...