Crank bolt / hub broke

Old 11-19-2009, 08:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank bolt / hub broke

My Procharger belt came off and I had my car towed to a preformance shop. The shop said the crank bolt could have broke or the hub could be sheered as the balancer can spin free now. Any thoughts on my options with this? Thanks in advance guys...
Old 11-19-2009, 05:53 PM
Staging Lane

man we just went through this here in our shop. customers car spun his ati super dampner in his c5 z06. we took it all off. the hub comes apart into three pieces. we measured the crank snout for good measure. called ati they sent us a new hub specifically for our car. when we put it back together. we keyed it this time. covered his arp crank bolt in red lock tight. and it has been good ever sence.

what balancer you running? what psi? and is the pulley your using have an option to key it or not? if now i would get a balancer that does! and hope that the crank bolt didnt break, that could be bad!
Old 11-20-2009, 08:10 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 00pewtertransam
man we just went through this here in our shop. customers car spun his ati super dampner in his c5 z06. we took it all off. the hub comes apart into three pieces. we measured the crank snout for good measure. called ati they sent us a new hub specifically for our car. when we put it back together. we keyed it this time. covered his arp crank bolt in red lock tight. and it has been good ever sence.

what balancer you running? what psi? and is the pulley your using have an option to key it or not? if now i would get a balancer that does! and hope that the crank bolt didnt break, that could be bad!
The shop just called me and told me the crank bolt worked its self out and now I need a hub replacement on the ATI dampner. I am running at 11 psi. Not sure about the key. I will talk to the shop about that. Thanks!
Old 11-20-2009, 06:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

My balancer flew off also. The bolt backed out. Shop said there going to helicoil the crank because whoever tightned the bolt the first time over tightned it and pulled the threads.

Search this Thread