Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 12:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GXP Front Brakes Keep Warping

Hey all,

Any ideas on this?

Heres the story.

Got new Cermic Napa pads and had the rotors turned at my hometown Pontiac dealer at 24k. Reason why i had them do it was home on leave and the car was almost rubbin metal on metal.

So, he replaced the pads an turned the rotors for me at 24k.

So, at like 29k, the rotors warped again after being turned. They cover them and put new ones on for free. I trust this place.

Then, I'm pullin in to a spot the other night at wally world and hear a light grinding/rubbin noise when i turn right into the a parking spot. Also the steering wheel is shaking when braking at 70MPH.The noise is coming from the left front side.

So, i take it in to a dealer where i am stationed in DC area and they tell me the rotors are warped and the grinding noise is from the last dealer installing the pads incorrectly. So i call my hometown service manager up in Ohio and he tells me basically he cant believe how these people are making the service depart look like crokes in this business. He says they just want to take my money, and my service manager from ohio is willing to foot the bill after i pay for it.

I say fuckem both. Ill fix the brakes my self I just didnt do it once because I was stuck at home on leave and needed them fixed. Then send em a bill.

But on the other hand do i take it back to him next time Im home visiting and have him do it for free?

Any thoughts fella's?

Thanks

Greg
Old 11-19-2009, 01:40 PM
Launching!

I went through two sets of OEM rotors.
Each set was cut twice this was before 36 000 mile mark all was done under warranty by dealer. Never really fixed the issue permanently. It would always come back after a few thousand miles.

I drove it like this for a while. Mine just had the vibration when braking at high speeds.

I just replaced all rotors and pads this weekend. with R1 Concept premium rotors. Pricey but they get good reviews.
I also drained and replaced the brake fluid, changed the pads with Posi Quiet ceramics.
So far so good. Car feels like it did when I bought it new.

I don't see why they cut your rotors though. GXP's come with drilled rotors right? or was it slotted?
I thought drilled or slotted was no go for cutting or turning. Just replace them.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Let them fix them. These brake just plain suck, drilled or not. I replaced mine with new rotors at 22k with new ones and pads and now at 31k are making noise again. I have tried 3 sets of ceramic pads and they all squeak(yes I burnished them in properly). I wish they never came with these brakes, they dont stop any better then any other car I have had. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:06 PM
Launching!

My drivers side keeps warping regardless of what Ive done. I have had aftermarket rotors, Oem rotors, and it doesn't seem to matter. They even rebalanced my tires and Made sure my wheels are torqued properly. Checked for any sort of loose steering parts
Old 11-19-2009, 07:51 PM
Launching!

Yeah, so i told them to slap the whip back together, and put in my new AMP(there is a service bulletin for front speaker crackling, replace amp) so they are doing that and im going to take it up to Ohio after the holidays when i can take leave again.

Talked to my hometown service manager, he said he will fix it. So whatever.

This brake issue is getting really old, i haven't made any track passes since, the new rotors.

Anywho thanks fellas for the input.

Greg
Old 11-20-2009, 06:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

i dont know i got 41k on my car rotors seem fine... just keep taking it back to a dealer usually they can fix the problem their theory has always been throw parts at ita few times before they actually look at it . but yeah man let the dealer do it if its under warranty . another thing is tho that the w-body platform eats brakes .
Old 11-20-2009, 11:08 AM
On The Tree

i just turned 60K on my 06 and have gone thru 1 set of pads around 30K and am still on the factory original rotors and mine are fine. idk why everyone is having such problems but fine are fine. no noise, no warping.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by stealthls4
i just turned 60K on my 06 and have gone thru 1 set of pads around 30K and am still on the factory original rotors and mine are fine. idk why everyone is having such problems but fine are fine. no noise, no warping.
Well, my 08' required front rotors and pads at 24k miles. Never had any signs of warping, but the rotors were under minimum thickness and couldn't be turned. That seems kinda silly with only 24k miles. I went with Delco OEM rotors and Akebono ACT pads and I'm very happy with that combination. No dust, no squeek, and stopping is every bit as good as the dust monster OEM pads. About 6k miles on this combo and no sign (and there shouldn't be) of warping.

You wanna talk about warped rotor problems, anyone here who owns/owned a Jeep Grand Cherokee (WJ) knows about warped rotors.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My brakes were destroyed after one year. My only suggestion is, do not turn the rotors, just replace them. Replace rotors and pads with anything that is not OEM. That is your best chance at longevity but don't expect alot.

LS1TECH - Thread - GXP Brakes shot a 16k UPDATE
Old 11-21-2009, 10:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

I believe the warped rotors issue is a problem for all GM vehicles. Every GM I've owned (Camaro, Blazer xtreme, and Monte Carlo SS) all had warped rotors. My guess is it is just one of the "cheap" parts GM puts on their vehicles. Get some aftermarket rotors from R1Concepts. They may cost a little more than the stock ones but they'll hold up!
Old 11-21-2009, 12:39 PM
Teching In

Had the same issue with my wifes G6 at around 35K or so--I know it is not the same car but still the same low quality made rotors that are used on the G8. I replaced both the rotors/pads with parts from AutoZone using the Duralast Gold parts. Have had them on for 15K with no issues and nice even wear on the pads.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Uh-oh. I just repaced the dusty OEM front pads on our '08 GXP at 31k. They still had life yet but I can't take the every third day wheel cleaning anymore ! The rotors were in good shape but I did have them turned to clean them up and do a "good job". I also cleaned the impacted pad material from all the cross drilled holes by using a drill ... did I mess up the rotors ? So far, no dust and no problems but I only did this a week and a half ago
Old 11-29-2009, 11:04 PM

'07 GXP here. At around 38,xxx I had a sticky caliper on the front passenger wheel--resulting in a local dealership replacing the front pads and turning the rotors. At 58,xxx I will soon need new front brakes and rotors. As for Jeep Grand Cherokees, I had a '98 5.9L Limited a few years back that had a little over 77,xxx on the odometer and don't recall any brake issues.

Quick Reply: GXP Front Brakes Keep Warping