my inspection experiance

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 10:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default my inspection experiance

i recently welded in some high flow cats into my ory to get my car inspected. so i go down to this small shop and the cats are good but i have to remove my door window tint and the tint on my windshield also i need to get new rear rubber since the center groove on my dr's is gone, ok i can fix that but then he says i failed the emissions because even though i have no check engine light on i do show 2 not ready codes. the report says,
02 sens: not ready
02 sens htr: not ready
he said i can only have 1 not ready status to pass.
maybe this is a coinsidence but 1 week ago i replaced my battery and the guy said i probably just need to put more miles on it so that the code resets (i put less than 10 miles a day on it). is this right or is this code being thrown because im only running the two 02 sensors in the header and not the 2nd set. i think the 2nd set was tuned out so it shouldnt affect the ready codes.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

driving 10 miles a day for one week should be enough. Car has to cool down completely though.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Friendly inspection location. Problem solved.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:33 PM
Teching In

you should be aloud to have 2 not ready....anytime i have got inspections done that what they have told me
Old 11-19-2009, 11:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/Misc/faq/faq_obdii.htm

Effective October 15, 2008:

For vehicles year model 2001 and newer, we allow one (1) non-continuous monitor to be Not Ready and still pass the test, but two (2) or more Not Ready's will cause the vehicle to fail.

For vehicles year model 1996 – 2000, we allow two (2) non-continuous monitors to be Not Ready and still pass the test, but three (3) or more Not Ready's will cause the vehicle to fail.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:49 AM
Launching!

When the battery was disconnected so it could be changed, it reset the OBD diagnostics check. You have to drive to car long enough for the OBDII Drive Cycle to check everything, a 10min drive through the neighborhood wont meet the criteria for all the tests it runs.

http://www.obdii.com/drivecycle.html
Old 11-20-2009, 07:14 AM
TECH Addict

It can take up to 100 miles of driving to set the o2 readiness code. We usually drive them at less than 60mph less than 3000 rpms for 20-30 miles and it will usually set it. If you can find someone with a handheld that reads readiness codes, hook it up and drive it with the readiness codes displayed till the o2's come ready.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:17 AM
On The Tree

hey, thanks for the info. i'll take her out tomarrow for a nice drive and head to over to O'Reillys on nasa rd one @ 146, i think they should have a scanner that reads codes. hopefully the sensors will show that they are ready then i'll remove the tint and see if i can find someone with a old set of wheels w/decent tires to borrow for a day or two so i can get my sticker. i'd buy new rear tires now but i'm not sure if i want to go with nitto 315 dr's like i have now or go with something different.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mondols1
hey, thanks for the info. i'll take her out tomarrow for a nice drive and head to over to O'Reillys on nasa rd one @ 146, i think they should have a scanner that reads codes. hopefully the sensors will show that they are ready then i'll remove the tint and see if i can find someone with a old set of wheels w/decent tires to borrow for a day or two so i can get my sticker. i'd buy new rear tires now but i'm not sure if i want to go with nitto 315 dr's like i have now or go with something different.
You will need to go to autozone to have the codes read for free. The only scanners O'reilly's has are the ones that are for sale. They will not go outside and pull the code for you, that has been my experience anyways...
Old 11-21-2009, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 03Sssnake
You will need to go to autozone to have the codes read for free. The only scanners O'reilly's has are the ones that are for sale. They will not go outside and pull the code for you, that has been my experience anyways...
They have always pulled codes for me...
Old 11-21-2009, 08:08 PM
TECH Regular

The inspector is 100% correct. Your computer was reset when you replaced your battery. You have to complete a "drive cycle" which pretty much means you have to drive your car around 50-80 miles.

However, LS1s are sometimes tricky to get your monitors in "ready" mode.