View Full Version : Cracked rear breather tube- can I bypass?

11-21-2009, 08:37 AM
I just noticed that my breather tube, that goes from the drivers side valve cover, in the back, crosses the rear of the intake has a broken plastic coupler where the passanger side tube connects to it. Is it okay to bypass this by capping the 2 metal tubes on the valve covers and the inlet to the throttle body? I have a oil cap breather, should I get another breather for the drivers side valve cover, or is one enough, and if so which one, as the gromet is small, about 3/4". What can I do to the pvc tube, as once these tubes from the breather are removed, the pcv tube will have nowhere to tie into. I would like to get rid of as much needless hoses as possible.

11-21-2009, 07:55 PM
No, don't do that. Use rubber fuel line to fix it.

11-22-2009, 07:51 PM
so I guess you can't bypass this and just place a breather into the drivers side valve cover?

11-24-2009, 09:11 PM
anyone else have an option?

11-24-2009, 10:43 PM
What's the problem? Rubber hose is like $1/ft at Autozone. The engine shouldn't have breathers because all air that it uses is supposed to be measured by the MAF and a breather will throw that off.

11-25-2009, 06:59 AM
okay, I see now. Thanks for the explanation. I was trying to clean up the engine bay a little, but if its needed, so be it.