Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine recommendations please

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 12:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Engine recommendations please

I read the cam guide and just confused me lol. I'm not new to engines but all the theory and new stuff I just don't know. What I have is a 98 pickup and i'm putting in a LQ4, from a 04 chevy. I'm really more concerned with torque and driveablitiy since it will mainly be a tow vehicle. I'd like to get 450ft/lbs of torque. I'm gonna be freshening it up but if possible i'd like to keep it stock. Well I'm putting new cam, springs, roller rockers in. But the intake and valves would like to keep stock. Can somebody recommend some springs and a cam for me and would it be possible to do 450 torque with a LQ4. I'd appreciate your advice guys.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't know about 450ft/lbs with just a cam. LQ4 has got you down on compression out of the gate. I would say mill the heads and get a custom cam spec'd that should get you close.

Last edited by BaddBird; 11-22-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I was gonna probably mill the heads and get a thinner head gasket. And LT headers, and dual 2.5" exhaust. And i'll have efilive.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pavetim
I read the cam guide and just confused me lol. I'm not new to engines but all the theory and new stuff I just don't know. What I have is a 98 pickup and i'm putting in a LQ4, from a 04 chevy. I'm really more concerned with torque and driveablitiy since it will mainly be a tow vehicle. I'd like to get 450ft/lbs of torque. I'm gonna be freshening it up but if possible i'd like to keep it stock. Well I'm putting new cam, springs, roller rockers in. But the intake and valves would like to keep stock. Can somebody recommend some springs and a cam for me and would it be possible to do 450 torque with a LQ4. I'd appreciate your advice guys.
I think I would skip the roller rockers I don't think you would benefit much since you wont be spinning at high rpms. If anything upgrade your stockers with a trunnion kit from Comp ($130 vs $400). Why 2.5" on the exhaust 3" would probably do you more good and room wont be an issue. You really wont know what springs till you decide on a cam. Pm PREDATOR-Z he can hook you up with the cam specs you need.You will need to add a few things to your list like pushrods,timing set and a oil pump. If your going to have the heads you might as well put a set of lifters in depending on the mileage of the LQ4.

Last edited by BaddBird; 11-22-2009 at 10:24 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another option to bump your compression would be some 243 heads...just a thought.
Here are some cams for you to take a look at...
http://www.vincihiperformance.com/ca...s%20truck.html
If this is going to be a tow vehicle, I would go with a little smaller exhaust to maintain low RPM torque...not over 2 1/4".
Old 11-23-2009, 06:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Paul57
Another option to bump your compression would be some 243 heads...just a thought.
Here are some cams for you to take a look at...
http://www.vincihiperformance.com/ca...s%20truck.html
If this is going to be a tow vehicle, I would go with a little smaller exhaust to maintain low RPM torque...not over 2 1/4".
No offense but why would you put Lts and a cam in a 6.0L that your trying to get 450ft/lbs of torque out of and then choke the exhuast off to 2 1/4". I do agree with the 243s as a option to milling the 317s. But I think the Op wants to use the heads he has.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i probably could find some 243's cheap but I thought the 317's flowed better? and would my manifold fit the 243's. The reason I was gonna put dual 2.5's on is to keep the torque low but with these motors you might be right and I might be fine with dual 3's. But yeah that was a given for me I was gonna put a double roller timing chain, better pushrods and a bearing freshen up, new rings and a quick hone. Not sure on the lifters though cause new ones are about $300 and the engine only has 45K on it, you think i'd benefit noticeably from new lifters? As far as cam's I was kind of looking at tsp the torquer v2 with 112 seperation whatcha think?
Old 11-23-2009, 05:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pavetim
i probably could find some 243's cheap but I thought the 317's flowed better? and would my manifold fit the 243's. The reason I was gonna put dual 2.5's on is to keep the torque low but with these motors you might be right and I might be fine with dual 3's. But yeah that was a given for me I was gonna put a double roller timing chain, better pushrods and a bearing freshen up, new rings and a quick hone. Not sure on the lifters though cause new ones are about $300 and the engine only has 45K on it, you think i'd benefit noticeably from new lifters? As far as cam's I was kind of looking at tsp the torquer v2 with 112 seperation whatcha think?
243s and the 317s flow the same only difference is the chambers(317s are 72cc and the 243s are 64cc). The intake will work.With 45k on the clock lifters would be up to you but you can get the ls7 lifters for about $120.
I really dont think there is any performance to be gained with a lifter upgrade more of a preventive upgrade.I think you have to use oil pump spacers with a double roller timing chain some of them reqiure grinding the timing cover.On your cam choice you need to research from what I understand that is a upper rpm cam and the name torquer is very misleading.By no means is it a 450ft/lb stomp puller. I mean you wont be shifting a tow rig at 7000rpm I would think you need the power band in the low to midrange rpms.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

talk to compcam.