Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

options to a 12 bolt

Old 12-12-2003, 01:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default options to a 12 bolt

Would a Heavy Duty Zexel-Torsen Differential offered by TSP be worth while if I'm trying to save money but still want a stronger rear end?
-JOSH
Old 12-12-2003, 01:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

12bolt
9 inch

Being that your car is a six speed, IF you plan on racing with sticky tires, your gonna pop the rear. My car is mosty stock, and never had slicks on it or been to the track, And i do kinda of drive like grandma, My rear is about toast. Lots of cars have broke stock rears bone stock on street tires. Why waste the money trying to bandaid gms mistake, just save the money and put it toward a new rear.
Old 12-12-2003, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can't afford a whole rear end the auburn HP posi unit with some stronger axles would probably be OK! ($315 for the Posi Unit and about $250 for the axles at Speed, Inc.) For serious racing you would need to go with a stonger rear.
Old 12-12-2003, 10:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Another guy on the "other" board did this which I think is a great idea and cheap:

SAVE YOURSELF AND YOUR FRIEND THE AGRIVATION AND BUY A 9 INCH. Seriously I fixed my 10 bolt 4 times ($2,000) I have an auburn carrier even but it always gives trouble again. The strongest combination you can get for the 10 bolt will be 3.42 gears and an Auburn Limited-slip. The 3.42's put more stress on the carrier and so it requires the Auburn to have any chance of standing up. I'm tired of fixing mine and all the noises that it makes for the weeks/months leading up to it breaking. I finally did it, I bought a 9 inch, but I did it the CHEAP way. I got the housing, axles and everything but the centersection from Moser Engineering, that ran me like $1100 but because I have ABS it was more than normal. Then I bought the centersection from Ebay, got a rebuilt one with a posi for $375. TOTAL COST = $1475! THATS FOR THE STRONGEST READEND FOR OUR CARS! Not even the 12 bolt is as strong as the 9 inch! Please save your friend the trouble....get a 9 inch.
This option proves to be cheaper than the 8.8 plus don't forget- your stock 10 bolt is still worth $250-$500 (maybe more) so you can sell that after the swap.
Old 12-12-2003, 06:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

a 9 inch isnt really reasonable for everyday drivin. it's a really heavy rear end. I went with a Moser 12 bolt with 4.10 gears 33 spline axles and eaton posi. I've really enjoyed it so far and I have had no problems.
Old 12-13-2003, 01:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JLMoses
a 9 inch isnt really reasonable for everyday drivin. it's a really heavy rear end. I went with a Moser 12 bolt with 4.10 gears 33 spline axles and eaton posi. I've really enjoyed it so far and I have had no problems.
Even though I have a 12 bolt, I'd have to disagree. The 9" would be fine for everday driving, I doubt you would notice any difference no matter which axle you went with. Yes, it does weigh a little more but not much. The 12 bolt uses 3% less power but the 9" is a stronger unit and you can easily swap gears in the 9. If you're worried about weight, they make alum. center sections for the 9". It all comes down to personal preference and how much you want to spend. Many can't afford $2300 for the 12 bolt.

For a good article between the two, check this out:
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...les/0304_nine/

Search this Thread