Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converter freespin after engine stop?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 09:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Converter freespin after engine stop?

A short history...
The truck has been running great so I decided to take it on a road trip a few weeks back. While driving around at my destination, the converter trys to lock, shutters then will not lock any more. PCM is commanding lockup and TCC mode actually goes into 'locked' status. Clutch does not feel like it is engauging at all. Drove 3.5 hrs back home with no TCC (half interstate, half highway). Trans never got over 180 the whole return trip. I did a few diagonistic checks and found cover was not scorched, trans connector was clean and intact, fluid still looks and smells new. I have not dropped the pan to check for clutch material nor is it throwing any codes (although I was hoping for a TCC solinoid code). The truck still drives great except for no lockup.

Now...
Drove it to work yesterday since it has been sitting for a couple weeks. Truck drove great, no lockup though. Upon getting home last night, shut the truck off and hear something still free spinning. I couldn't quite catch where it was comming from as I was opening the door to get out. Left the door open, cranked truck and shut it off. Sounds like something free spinning under the truck for 2-3 seconds after shut off.

My only guess would be something in the torque converter such as the stator or clutch plate. I am not sure if the clutch plate is mated to the turbine or if it is seperately splined to the inputshaft? Could the clutch plate somehow have broken loose and is free spinning? Or could the one-way clutch in the stator be broken causing it to freespin?

I am sooo over these converter issues.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No ideas on what's in the converter that may continue to spin after the engine is stopped?

Quick Reply: Converter freespin after engine stop?