Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brakes/What Else?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 11:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brakes/What Else?

Just got my brakes from Brakemotive from this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-s...9-shipped.html
Very good deal I must say!

Anyways, want to make sure I get everything I need to tackle this project one of these weekends.

I believe when I had my brake system flushed last year, they used DOT4, so I suppose I'll stick with that. How much do I need to purchase?

I have never bled brakes before, I know the rule to start farthest away and work up to closest from Master Cylinder. Should I replace the stock ones with the Earl speed bleeders? http://www.lmperformance.com/573/1.html
If so, before I start taking off everything, can I just unscrew the originals and thred the new ones in?

Also, I could possibly be doing the the installation myself, what would you recommend I use to bleed the brakes, like a hand pump style one? Think I saw one on autzone's site for approx $58.

Anything I am forgetting?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Bump
Old 11-27-2009, 08:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ooook, guess mine got overlooked again!
Old 11-29-2009, 09:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Lots of views, and no recommendations? On anything??? Sad indeed.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

IMO, get the speed bleeders and do it the old fashion way.
that's my preferred way to do it, keep it simple.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I like to use the 12oz bottles(get at least 2) of brake fluid, easier to pore and less chance you'll get stuck with an almost full, open bottle of brake fluid. And get some 3/16" or 1/4" clear tubing (3ft should be good) to run from the bleeder to the bottle or container the old fluid will go into. And roll of paper towels and a can of brake cleaner.
As far as installing the speed bleeders, do it right after you clean(Brake cleaner)off all the dirt around the factory bleeder.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Where can I get some tubing like that? Never had to shop for something like that before. LOL

Does it matter if I use Dot3 or 4? I want to say it has 4 in it now but not certain. And if I have help, just need someone to pump the brakes as I bleed each one right? (dumb question coming up) does the car have to be on?

Not sure if I will have help to tackle it yet, so figured I'd ask now.

Thanks for the replies. I was just getting a little bothered by it, as other threads that weren't as specific as mine were getting answers. LOL
Old 11-29-2009, 03:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-bleeders.html

After searching several times came across that. Sticky worthy IMO.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just ordered the Earl bleeders from WS6Store.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Question for everyone. I have a feeling I wouldn't be able to tackle all 4 corners in a single weekend. So the question being, say on one weekend, I did the front brakes, do I need to bleed ALL 4 brakes? Or just the front? Looking forward to an answer!
Old 12-05-2009, 08:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah you can bleed just the fronts. i just did it myself this weekend. no problems at all
Old 12-05-2009, 10:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

That's good to hear. Any other opinions?
Really want to get one of these 2 sets of brakes on next weekend before I head out of town for work for atleast a week again.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:59 PM
TECH Junkie

I personally wouldn't get the speed bleeders, but that's just me. I've heard they can have issues with sealing off properly and wouldn't trust them to not suck back in air.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, already got the speed bleeders from ws6store, gonna install them and see how well they do. Then atleast, I will have a personal opinion instead of 'heard' if you know what I mean. Lots of 'heard' on this board. I figure for $30, I'll try them out.

Though I have to admit, once seeing them in the packaging, they do see rather cheap, especially the spring.

But I'll give them a go.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:50 AM
TECH Addict

you could of saved the $30 and just did it the old fashion way. Get a friend to pump the pedal and you open the bleeder. Doesnt take that long and you know air isnt going in.

autozone even sells a cheap One man bleeder for like $7. basically a small bottle with a clear hose attatched. put the clear hose on the bleeder open the bleeder. pump the brakes a few times and all the air gets out. close the bleeder remove the hose and your done. I used that yesterday by myself and it worked good.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hmmm, maybe I'll just try using the stock bleeders, and maybe resell them. I hate returning products. Weather permitting, gonna try and tackle the front brakes this coming weekend. Do you know if there is anything special I need to do with the rear's because of the parking brake?
Old 12-06-2009, 04:49 PM
TECH Addict

no you dont have to mess with parking brake at all. I think its just two bolts that hold the caliper to the rear end. the front calipers are mounted with two bolts also. BUT you will need a 3/8 allen wrench socket to get them out.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm pretty sure I have some allen sockets. Believe I had to use them to do the front brakes on my fiances mustang when she had it.

I got to remember to buy some grease when I go to buy the fluid too. Isn't there a pin I have to put the hi-temp grease on? Sorry, only done one brake job in my life, and want to make sure its right on the bird.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:09 PM
TECH Addict

the bolts for the front calipers acts as the slide. so yes you need to greese them....you'll see once you pull them out.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:51 PM
TECH Addict

you dont need allens for f-body brakes. just metric sockets. maybe LT1s were different, but im 99% sure LS1 fronts are just hex head. i know the C5 kit uses sockets. a motive bleeder is WAY better then any speed-bleed screws. plus you can use it on any newer GM vehicle, and can more tubes/fittings to do any other car ever made.

get high-temp brake grease/lube from a parts store, and lube each slide pin well.

every lowes or home depot will have the tubing. less then a dollar a foot, also sold by the roll of 2-3 ft or so, for a few dollars. using DOT4 is fine. make sure it says "compatible with all DOT3 fluids."

if you do have someone pump the pedal, you do know you dont actually 'pump' while the screw is open, right? only floored and kept down while the screw is open, then closed, then off the pedal.

Quick Reply: Brakes/What Else?