PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autometer A/F guage....any good?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 09:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Autometer A/F guage....any good?

i'm going to be putting some guages in my car, one of which i'm looking at is Autometer's carbon fiber Air/Fuel guage to go along with the carbon fiber oil pressure and coolant temp guages on the A-pillar. Here's what it looks like for reference:

I was just curious if anyone had used their A/F guage before or knew if it was any good or remotely accurate? I know it's a narrowband guage and uses the factory O2 signal, not a wideband, and doesn't show exact A/F ratio. BUT...i'm not a tuner, won't be tuning, and the main this is i just want all 3 guages to match. i don't want a white/black-faced guage with 2 carbon fiber guages. I just want to keep an eye on the A/F ratio making sure it isn't TOO rich or TOO lean and i figured since it uses the same signal the ECM uses then it would be good enough, but i'm not really a tuning guru so i wanted to double check before i ordered the guages...

Thanks,
Ben
Old 11-26-2009, 09:27 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

plugging that third hole is all it is actually good for...

Personally I'd spend my money elsewhere.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:31 AM
TECH Addict

damn it that's actually what i was thinking/afraid of. well if that's the case, Voltometer it is!

In the event i DO decide to put a wideband guage in the car, what would be best or "good enough?" IIRC, someone recommended the AEM guage.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:34 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

fuel pressure, wideband, and engine temp
Old 11-26-2009, 10:55 AM
TECH Addict

their full sweep electric fuel pressure guage is $175....not really wanting to do that....and i'd like to have an oil pressure guage in there. Seems like i've read somewhere on here that the factory oil pressure and coolant temp guages are more like dummy lights, is that right? They only show the engine is too hot after it's too late or something like that...and the oil pressure guage only drops/raises when there's a drastic change. I may be mistaking, but it seems like i read that somewhere.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My oil pressure gauge is right in line with a manual gauge. You barely touch the gas it jumps up, and falls as the RPMS do. Pretty darn accurate to me...dunno about the temp gauge.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:06 PM
TECH Resident

my buddy had that autometer A/F guage on his T/A....it was about as useful as the flashing light on the front of "Kit" from "Knightrider".....worthless...lol

p.s. i have been keeping an eye on your build thread, the car looks amazing! getting close man!
Old 11-26-2009, 01:19 PM
TECH Addict

well hell....i may just do without the oil guage then...glad i posted i guess...
Old 11-26-2009, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

IMO I would install an AEM wide band. It very easy to install. If you do the install yourself should be able to get everything installed for about a $100 more than an electric fuel guage quoted earlier. There might even be some 'Black Friday' discounts if you search saving you a few dollars.

You will have to have a welder weld in the bung for the O2 sensor but that shouldn't cost much.

Are there are other wide bands that are better? Probably - so please don't turn this thread into a "what's the best wide band" thread.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:33 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah I'm trying to get my ducks in a row in case there is a big sale. I AM a welder so the welding is free. I don't necessarily want the BEST wideband, I just want an accurate guage that matches everything else.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that narrowband gauge is really just an appearance mod. if i had to get a narrowband gauge, i'd at least get one that shows the mV. even then, that doesn't tell you much. i've logged narrowband readings against wideband readings and they are very inconsistent one day to the next.

i'd suggest a wideband.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2000_SS
Yeah I'm trying to get my ducks in a row in case there is a big sale. I AM a welder so the welding is free. I don't necessarily want the BEST wideband, I just want an accurate guage that matches everything else.
Then for your purposes I would get an AEM - very easy to install (much easier to install than an LC1 (Innovative). I have both.

The AEM comes with a white or black faceplate. This price is about as cheap as I have seen lately.

http://www.aemuego.com/

Note: If you do a search you will find many discussions explaining the differences between wide and narrow bands along with the accuracy of each brand. One mag even had a comparison among the most popular brands.

You are a welder - that is good but make sure to follow the instructions for location of the bung for the O2 sensor. Location is critical.

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 11-27-2009 at 08:30 AM.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:12 PM
TECH Addict

i picked up an Innovatice LC-1 with the DB guage....i think it should serve the purpose and maybe get me inspired to start doing a little tuning
Old 11-29-2009, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2000_SS
i picked up an Innovatice LC-1 with the DB guage....i think it should serve the purpose and maybe get me inspired to start doing a little tuning
Read the directions carefully for the installation. Getting the LC-1 system grounded properly is the most important part of the install for an LC-1.

Review the numerous posts about this issue on the Innovative forum.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:34 PM
TECH Addict

i'll look into that, thanks man