Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

question about adding a turbo with current cam setup

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 07:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about adding a turbo with current cam setup

i have a TR230 (reverse split) from thunder racing, the cam specs are as follows from there website...

Thunder Racing Custom Camshaft
"Reverse Split" - 230/224 .575/.563 111 LSA 2200-6800 RPM Power Band. Excellent mid-range & high RPM power. Automatic cars require computer tuning and it is recommend for optimum results on manual transmission cars . Due to the fast ramp rate of this camshaft, the use of 1.8 rockers is not recommended.

my question is, is this a cam to even able to run a turbo or is this basicly a N20 cam? i'm pretty sure that with the 111 LSA its an N20 cam, but i'd really like to run turbo say a 60 trim turbo with like 8 or 9 lbs. of boost.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:36 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nknoshaug
i have a TR230 (reverse split) from thunder racing, the cam specs are as follows from there website...

"Reverse Split" - 230/224 .575/.563 111 LSA 2200-6800 RPM Power Band. Excellent mid-range & high RPM power. Automatic cars require computer tuning and it is recommend for optimum results on manual transmission cars . Due to the fast ramp rate of this camshaft, the use of 1.8 rockers is not recommended.

my question is, is this a cam to even able to run a turbo or is this basicly a N20 cam? i'm pretty sure that with the 111 LSA its an N20 cam, but i'd really like to run turbo say a 60 trim turbo with like 8 or 9 lbs. of boost.
No reason not to try it and see. Worst case scenerio you swap it out later.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most will say its not great..too low lsa..reverse split part well again lots of debate there.
Lift should be fine if you have good springs.
As said is in there you can try it out and see how you like it. Personally think something around 225/230/600/600/ 117 or so would be a nice one. My current cam is like 210/230/590/590 /121 but with 1.8 rockers. No lope..easy as heck to tune, no cam surge at low speeds but not dyno numbers yet with it. But seem to have decent low,mid and high with quick spool up on my current setup.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was also told that a 114 is where you want a turbo cam and not to use a super high lift cam as its hard on the valve train and no need as airs being forced in and not sucked like in a N/A
Old 11-27-2009, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nknoshaug

Heres a sound/video clip for ya and is with no cats and a GMMG exhaust!
http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/f...amaro%20video/

Heres what (Crower) made for me and my FI twin turbo APS 6.0 ,364. 9.5 to 1 CR. Its part # 00572
217/226 .553/.575 114 LSA and made 650rwhp on only 9 psi with the smaller stock APS turbos which ive just changed out for the bigger LG turbos. Im waiting till spring for the retune, but my car sounds nice as hell and ideals like its stock
Old 11-27-2009, 01:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Im running an LS7 cam in my 347. It has 25 deg of negative overlap. That creates more cylinder pressure which will spool the turbos faster. I have used the larger cam in min. Had one that had 22 deg of positive overlap and the car was laggy. Now it gos into boost at the drop of a hat. Its really all up to you and your desires and needs for your car. A turbo will work with any cam really, although it may not be optimum.

I like to have more exhaust duration to help push the turbos since they are dependant on exhaust flow.

my .02
Old 11-28-2009, 02:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Normally you want the overlap as small as possible to keep the boost "inside" the cylinders. So a higher LSA is normally the way to go.
The exausht duration is normally higher to get the exausht out as fast as possible to your turbo, which equals quicker spooling.
The intake duration doesn't need to be high at all since the air/fuel intake is forced in instead of you having to suck in every bit possible as efficiently as possible.
I guess the intake lift doesn't have to be huge but i would think a bigger lift would be easier on the turbo at higher boost, since it doesn't have to "push" the air in as much as it would on a smaller lift. But it seems if the lift is too high, the turbo won't have enough load to spool up. It seems like a grey area, where you have to just find the optimum lift for your turbo application. I havn't thought into exhaust lift, but it would seem it should probably be a tad bit bigger than the intake side. But who knows, that's just a 16 year olds theroy

So basically, in my opinion, the cam should have:
-High LSA/overlap
-High exhasut duration
-Not-so-high/lower intake duration
-Medium intake lift
-Medium-high exhaust lift

That's about all I can think of, but thats just my basic understanding of cam theory and valve events..

Hope it works out for you, and I'll be looking for results..
Old 12-01-2009, 12:21 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Most will say its not great..too low lsa..reverse split part well again lots of debate there.
Lift should be fine if you have good springs.
As said is in there you can try it out and see how you like it. Personally think something around 225/230/600/600/ 117 or so would be a nice one. My current cam is like 210/230/590/590 /121 but with 1.8 rockers. No lope..easy as heck to tune, no cam surge at low speeds but not dyno numbers yet with it. But seem to have decent low,mid and high with quick spool up on my current setup.
well i got the cam kit from Thunder Racing which came with comp cam 918 springs, and Thunder Racing's titanium pushrods. other than that its all stock except for the melling high volume ported oil pump and LS2 timing chain. i need an intake and the TB is ported also with clear lid, pacesetter LT's and x-pipe to dumps with custom 3" mufflers.

this was b4 it was tuned and it had TSP mufflers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf8cXMOqaBo

Quick Reply: question about adding a turbo with current cam setup