Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

What's wrong? just snapped my 4th clutch disc...

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 01:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Default What's wrong? just snapped my 4th clutch disc...

I just snapped my 4th clutch disk in less than a year. The first two were stock clutch discs. The third and fourth one were Zoom kevlar clutch kits. Each time it's only the clutch disk that breaks (cracks at the center all around the toothed hole that the input shaft goes through), the pp and flywheel are fine. Each time I have been torquing everything to spec, resurfacing/replacing the flywheel, and installing a new pilot bearing/bushing. The last time I removed the clutch the pilot bearing was excessively worn out, in only a matter of months. Trans shifts perfectly. Is my transmission to blame (someone mentioned excessive free-play in the input shaft)?

Your help is greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pressure plate maybe?
Old 11-27-2009, 07:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you still using the same pressure plate, or a new one each time? If your bushing was worn out, i would think there is something up with your input shaft, even if it is not causing your clutch issue.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:56 AM
On The Tree

This happen to me twice with less than 300 miles between the two it was a Ram. Went to a TEX z700 no more trouble.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by NVR_SPDS
Are you still using the same pressure plate, or a new one each time? If your bushing was worn out, i would think there is something up with your input shaft, even if it is not causing your clutch issue.
New Pressure plate every time.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LS1ROPER
This happen to me twice with less than 300 miles between the two it was a Ram. Went to a TEX z700 no more trouble.
I don't think a different clutch is going to solve my issue...
Old 11-28-2009, 08:08 PM
TECH Addict

When the trans is out, can you feel any play in the input shaft?
Old 11-28-2009, 08:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by NVR_SPDS
When the trans is out, can you feel any play in the input shaft?
I don't think I've noticed anything abnormal, but then again, I don't know how much freeplay it's supposed to have if any at all.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What's your power level, and how do you drive the car?
Old 11-29-2009, 02:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Spartan7
What's your power level, and how do you drive the car?
No dyno numbers, but I should be ~350 rwhp. I daily drive the car and I beat on it regularly. I do put the car through some abuse, but I don't think that should be breaking a new clutch kit in less than a month. I've had the car for 6 years now and it has 179,xxx miles. My driving habits haven't changed since I bought the car, and although I've only had my new cammed/bolt-on engine recently, it's not a radical set up and I don't think it could solely be responsible for my current issues.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:29 PM
12 Second Club

I would have the tranny checked out for excessive play in the input shaft, then replace the clutch and try again. Might look at the Monster clutch line. They rock!
Old 11-30-2009, 02:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well I just removed the clutch and it wasn't snapped like I though. Instead there was some grinding marks all around the outside of the pressure plate. I don't know what caused that.

One thing I did notice was that the shifter fork bolt was loose, not a lot, but it was loose. I removed it and locktited it and torqued it down. I installed a new stock clutch kit with pressure plate. Reinstalled everything and now the car is running again. I hope this clutch lasts a while.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
I installed a new stock clutch kit with pressure plate. Reinstalled everything and now the car is running again. I hope this clutch lasts a while.
Why? You already broke 2 of them, your car is telling you something. With the way you drive it, you need a better clutch. The stockers won't take too much abuse, especially with more than stock power.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:39 AM
FormerVendor

I assume that since you are referencing a Fork and pivot-ball that you have an LT-1based car. Is this correct?

If so, upon originally reading your post I felt that this could be an issue relative to input-shaft play or a problem with a pilot bearing that is allowing the shaft to move more than normal. This would explain the previous broken discs.

But now you have witness marks on the outside of the plate and this would evidence something contacting the plate during rotation. You reference that the fork was lose...are there any marks on the fork? If the fork was actuating more that it should it could contact the shoulder of the plate which would certainly leave marks marks on the cover. Also, if the fork were bent it could do this as well.

You seem to have already buttoned things back up. If the lose pivot ball was the issue then tightening it up could solve this part of your problem. If you continue to have issues though just let me know and I will be happy to assist you further. Thanks!
Old 11-30-2009, 10:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Spartan7
Why? You already broke 2 of them, your car is telling you something. With the way you drive it, you need a better clutch. The stockers won't take too much abuse, especially with more than stock power.
Cause the new stock clutch disc I got actually looks beefier than any of the clutch discs I've put in before. The stocker I just put in has like 8 riveted metal arms connecting the springed hub to the clutch pads where as the disc that I just removed has an additional plastic piece that holds the center spline hole in place which is exactly where the last disc broke. So I think my chances are better with the disc I put in compared to the one I took out.

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
I assume that since you are referencing a Fork and pivot-ball that you have an LT-1based car. Is this correct?

If so, upon originally reading your post I felt that this could be an issue relative to input-shaft play or a problem with a pilot bearing that is allowing the shaft to move more than normal. This would explain the previous broken discs.

But now you have witness marks on the outside of the plate and this would evidence something contacting the plate during rotation. You reference that the fork was lose...are there any marks on the fork? If the fork was actuating more that it should it could contact the shoulder of the plate which would certainly leave marks marks on the cover. Also, if the fork were bent it could do this as well.

You seem to have already buttoned things back up. If the lose pivot ball was the issue then tightening it up could solve this part of your problem. If you continue to have issues though just let me know and I will be happy to assist you further. Thanks!
Yeah, seeing scratches on the outside of the pressure plate was strange, but what you are saying about over-actuating makes sense. I didn't notice that the clutch fork was bent at all when I removed it and retorqued it, but if I have the issue again, you bet that's the first thing I'm going to look for. The bolt holding it was loose, but not by much, we'll see how long this disc lasts.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:36 PM
TECH Addict

That bolt being loose could even be enough to let the fork touch the pressure plate...thats a pretty close fit without anything being loose.

Also, if you're using any sort of shim or anything between the crank and flywheel, that can cause fork contact problems as well.

Another place for you to look, is your transmission and engine mounts. I know it sounds hard to believe, but if the transmission or engine mounts are putting and side load on the tailshaft of the transmission (pulling it to the left or right) that can sometimes cause problems with cluthc discs, input shafts, and/or pilot bearings/bushings too.

Has your engine ever been rebuilt? I've seen a few rare cases where when a rebuilt block was line bored/honed a LOT, the crank is too high relative to the transmission dowel pins, which caused all sorts of issues for the clutch, pilot, input shaft and input shaft support.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
That bolt being loose could even be enough to let the fork touch the pressure plate...thats a pretty close fit without anything being loose.

Also, if you're using any sort of shim or anything between the crank and flywheel, that can cause fork contact problems as well.

Another place for you to look, is your transmission and engine mounts. I know it sounds hard to believe, but if the transmission or engine mounts are putting and side load on the tailshaft of the transmission (pulling it to the left or right) that can sometimes cause problems with cluthc discs, input shafts, and/or pilot bearings/bushings too.

Has your engine ever been rebuilt? I've seen a few rare cases where when a rebuilt block was line bored/honed a LOT, the crank is too high relative to the transmission dowel pins, which caused all sorts of issues for the clutch, pilot, input shaft and input shaft support.
I have poly engine mounts and a poly trans mount. The trans isn't going anywhere. The engine has been in there for about a year now, I picked up a low mileage stock engine. Shouldn't have been rebuilt.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:38 PM
TECH Addict

Poly on all 3 mounts doesn't mean they're not pulling the trans sideways...when you go to put the crossmember back up, is it easy to line the bolts up, or are the holes not really lined up?
Old 11-30-2009, 09:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
Poly on all 3 mounts doesn't mean they're not pulling the trans sideways...when you go to put the crossmember back up, is it easy to line the bolts up, or are the holes not really lined up?
They line up. Same as every other crossmember I've every removed/reinstalled.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
The bolt holding it was loose, but not by much, we'll see how long this disc lasts.
That would probably explain the marks on the PP. Did you loctite that bolt? It's a common issue for it to work loose and wreak havoc, seen broken TOB's and bent forks that way.

But it still doesn't explain why you keep breaking clutches. Did you use a pilot bushing or bearing this time?

And did you have any issues with those past clutches before they broke?

Quick Reply: What's wrong? just snapped my 4th clutch disc...