Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Real quick self check

Old 11-27-2009, 01:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Real quick self check

Okay my buddy and I are about to swap a cam into his 5.3 truck motor.
He's got the cam, valve springs ( believe comp 918s) and a double roller timing chain.

I suggested hardend pushrods. Are we forgetting anything or can he get away with what he has and not what I suggested? Thanks guys.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would strongly suggest getting a new oil pump o-ring and one of those pick up tube brackets. i can not remember the name of who makes them, I am sure someone on here will remember. I would not swap a cam without those two parts.

You can wait on the pushrods until the install is done. You will need to check the pushrod length with the new cam. It is not uncommon to need longer ones with a cam swap.

Did your chain come with the oil pump spacers? When you get finished if you fire it up and the oil pressure is lower then normal, do NOT drive it! Fix the air leak at the oil pump o-ring. If you do not you will destroy the engine.

Good luck.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You will need a new balancer bolt. It is TTY.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, I forgot that.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks man ill have him check into those parts. Hopefully someone here as you said can name the vendor of those parts. Just wondering whats the main concern if you dont replace those parts? I know the 98-00 had crappy pumps and were revised in the later models. If it helps its an motor out of an 05 tahoe.
Old 11-27-2009, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

The problem is when you install the double roller timing chain, the oil pump has to move forward about a eigth of an inch to clearence the wider timing chain. This means the oil pickup tube has to move forward. If doing this in the vehical, the tube can not move forward because it is bolted to one of the main caps that you can not get to. This causes the tube not to sit correctly in the pump and can cause an air leak there. Air leaking into the suction side of the oil pump will airiate the oil and cause severe engine damage. If you are doing this with the engine out of the truck, then you can make adjustments to the pickup tube. The bracket I mentioned will clamp both sides of the tube to the pump and help secure the tube in the correct position on the oil pump. There has been thousands of people on here destroy their engines because of this.

I will find the name of the bracket and post it here for you.
Old 11-27-2009, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pm'ed you

Search this Thread