Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 05-18-2016, 05:57 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Electrical Guides
Print Wikipost

How easy was HP Tuners for you to learn on?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 12:08 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How easy was HP Tuners for you to learn on?

I am looking into getting a new FBody since I totaled mine I think this time I am going to do all the tuning and work myself which RPM doing some of the harder things that being said how many of you were able to understand HP Tuners after messing with some stuff?
Old 11-28-2009, 09:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Its a learning curve. For some worse than others. if you can READ and use a search button and be open to constructive criticism, it wont be too bad.

Now, if you are tech savy already youre in even better shape.

if you can understand physics and can visualize how they operate and why stuff does what and how that relates to when, then my man......you are the king of the world!!!

Honestly its not all that bad. READ ALOT! Buy some books, use the F1 button in the program, attempt small things at one time and learn what they do, learn how to read the scanner before you mod ANYTHING and ask questions.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not to bad but like TXZ0603 said READ-SEARCH-READ-ASK-READ SOME MORE. I had my first tune done by J. Formato . I bought Hp Tuners and just started login and trying to understand how things worked with others. Then I had my n/a 5.3 running with 60# injectors for a few months, now procharger. Now Im sure my tune isnt great but truck halls *** and hasent blown up on me.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

We all learned it so why not you? It takes a long time to get good at it but not very long to get started. The more you mod the harder it gets. There is not a whole lot to tuning a stock/ bolt-on car. When you start adding cams, heads, forced induction it starts getting harder. That book by Greg Banish is really good, you should read it. Also, search here and on the HPtuners forum. Spend hours reading, I'm not kidding. If you wanna be good you gotta spend time reading. Basically love it, or you're wasting your time.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:33 PM
Formerly 99-2door-08/30/2010

I'm still learning it. Only had it a few months and limited time to mess with it. I know a lot more than I did the day I got it. Just depends on how much time you can put into it. Don't expect to buy it and tune the next day. Well not correctly anyway.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I found it difficult. Making mistakes, getting answers from a couple differant forums, and trial and error.

Last year, I went to "the tuning school" in Odessa, and it helped a ton. For me, its a hobby I enjoy and wanted to learn more. Im attending the advanced school this weekend. I doubt Ill ever get that deep into tuning, but its fun learning.

I learned more this year, than I had the last three years on my own.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMC5
We all learned it so why not you? It takes a long time to get good at it but not very long to get started. The more you mod the harder it gets. There is not a whole lot to tuning a stock/ bolt-on car. When you start adding cams, heads, forced induction it starts getting harder. That book by Greg Banish is really good, you should read it. Also, search here and on the HPtuners forum. Spend hours reading, I'm not kidding. If you wanna be good you gotta spend time reading. Basically love it, or you're wasting your time.
I haven't looked at Banish's book but 'Master EFI Tuner' by Dan Maslic is pretty good and even better if you have HP Tuners as all screen shots are from HP Tuners.

IMO he should have two versions: one for HP Tuners and another for EFI live.

You would think by now with a ten year knowledgebase of information (1998 to present) that there would be several single source information places that a novice could go to and purchase and be able to tune a car.

But as stated previously, you have to purchase the software (HP or EFI live), search the thousands of threads on forums, buy some books, install a wideband, and then find a dyno. And in the meantime pray that you don't do something wrong and then destroy in an instant tens of thousands of dollars of investment in engine and parts.

It still isn't a slamdunk or as easy to install a tune as it is to install Windows XP or Window 7 and it all works correctly.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:35 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Get it and start tuning, man!!!! It's not all that bad if you're willing to do some research and read some books. It's like anything in life...requires some time and attention, but the rewards are totally worth it. When you go to eat a burger, you get it your way. Same goes for tailored suits, buying a home, choosing an axe, er, ahem, 'scuse me, I meant a WIFE, and anything else. Why deprive yourself of customizing your car? Buy the software and LIVE!!!!
Old 12-01-2009, 05:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dan@masportspeedshop
Get it and start tuning, man!!!! It's not all that bad if you're willing to do some research and read some books. It's like anything in life...requires some time and attention, but the rewards are totally worth it. When you go to eat a burger, you get it your way. Same goes for tailored suits, buying a home, choosing an axe, er, ahem, 'scuse me, I meant a WIFE, and anything else. Why deprive yourself of customizing your car? Buy the software and LIVE!!!!

Very well put!!!
Old 12-01-2009, 11:19 PM
TECH Regular

wasnt to bad, i think its easier to learn hands on rather than reading a book, but im more of a hands on learner, as long as you know what the tables do, adjust it little by little so you dont mess anything up so you can get a feel for what editing each table does
Old 12-02-2009, 09:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The hardest part was getting incorrect information from people and not knowing enough to know they were wrong.

Read everything
Trust nothing
Experiment
Document
Do one thing at a time
Be patient
Back up everything
Record every change in the tune and why you made it, and then record the results
Old 12-02-2009, 02:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steel Chicken
The hardest part was getting incorrect information from people and not knowing enough to know they were wrong.
I think this is the thing that worries me the most about learning to tune.

Everyone on any forum is an expert!
Old 12-02-2009, 02:24 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Steel Chicken

Read everything
Trust nothing
Experiment
Document
Do one thing at a time
Be patient
Back up everything
Record every change in the tune and why you made it, and then record the results
lol, couldn't agree more http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11178
Old 12-02-2009, 02:33 PM
TECH Regular

where can I buy the book 'Master EFI Tuner' by Dan Maslic ?

I went to his site and I can't find where to purchase it.

Looks like a good book to read
Old 12-02-2009, 02:50 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by printmanjackson
where can I buy the book 'Master EFI Tuner' by Dan Maslic ?

I went to his site and I can't find where to purchase it.

Looks like a good book to read
The book will be available again very soon. We took it off of our website because we sold out sooner than we expected (THANKS EVERYBODY!!). We have new inventory arriving soon, and we'll be taking pre-orders the second we get word from our printer that the books have shipped out to us. Should be arriving to us around December 18th. We'll post up announcements of availability soon, as well as email anyone who has emailed us expressing interest.
Cheers!
Old 12-02-2009, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Now I'm interested in this book. Does it teach more than just theory? Can I get it at the local book store?

However, I fear some of us are at a level where the only thing that's going to teach us any more is tuning more and more combinations. Or.... possibly a book that actually goes through and shows step by step how to tune specific combinations, which is hard to do in a book.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:15 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by JDMC5
Now I'm interested in this book. Does it teach more than just theory? Can I get it at the local book store?

However, I fear some of us are at a level where the only thing that's going to teach us any more is tuning more and more combinations. Or.... possibly a book that actually goes through and shows step by step how to tune specific combinations, which is hard to do in a book.
This is exactly why we're building the online magazine www.masterenginetuner.com. Anyone who has bought the book will get free access to case study updates that show how to tune different vehicles with different setups. The site is still under construction, but you can log onto it and take a sneak-peek at what it will be all about. Be sure to check out the About Us section, as well as the Publisher's Page, How-To, Parts Comparisons and the Tuner's Club section. I think you'll like what we have in store for all you tuners out there.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

nice work Dan!! I'll definitely check that out.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

It really isn't too bad.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:28 PM
11 Second Club

not bad at all. PM me your e-mail and ill send you a great tuning guide to get you started. Its literally step by step.

Quick Reply: How easy was HP Tuners for you to learn on?