Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead Engine - Shuts Off - While Driving 99 Z-28 120k

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 10:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead Engine - Shuts Off - While Driving 99 Z-28 120k

Hi, I have a big problem. While driving my 1999 Z-28 the entire car goes dead, engine shuts off, _all_ electrical is lost absolutely nothing has power. I pull over to the side of the road and sometimes by the time I pull over everything comes back on. Engine starts everything works fine. No engine light with code comes on, it's just as though nothing happened. This has happened twice in one day of driving about a 100 miles.

Any input most appreciated
Bob
Old 11-28-2009, 09:18 PM
10 Second Fun Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Possibly a battery problem? I had one of the battery terminal bolts that was almost gone due to acid.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:59 AM
Teching In

Thumbs up Dead Engine - Shuts Off - While Driving 99 Z-28 120k

I apologize for being tardy on my reply. I just got it fixed this week. This is what has transpired.

The problem was severe, scary and unsafe.

The engine would totally shut down in a turn sometimes, other times just going straight down the road (no flashers! nothing electrical worked). Fix itself by the time I got the hood open and would not reproduce the problem for weeks. Very hard to trace.

Finally I went to the dealer and ordered the factory positive and negative cables (about $130 for the 2). Went to my mechanic had him replace them and still had the same problem. It gave all appearances of being the positive cable, however, if I pushed gently on the side of the battery where the terminal strap comes down the side of the battery, bingo there it was.

Finally convinced that it is in fact the fairly new battery (Sears Platinum $180). I just couldn't believe it was the battery it 's new 11 mo. I could wiggle the positive or negative wires and it would reconnect and work.

Well by this time there was no way I was going to re-install the old cables so 200+ dollars later I got my free replacement. Had it replaced under warranty and that took care of it.

I was had and I couldnt do a thing about it.

That's the tale of the engine shut off while running down the road for me. I always thought the alternator would allow the car to continue to run.

Best regards and I hope this will help someone else

TeeRod
Orlando, FL
Old 01-09-2010, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bummer to hear it cost that much to get it fixed, but at least it is fixed! More often than not the peace of mind is worth the money spent.