View Full Version : Looking at a V6 for a DD, words of advice?

Johnny-LT1-runner
11-28-2009, 09:31 PM
So the neighbor across the highway is selling his white 1995 A4 V6 camaro, 2000 bucks.
The engine was rebuilt 25K miles ago. It is powdercoated red, and is really clean, as is the rest of the engine bay. The drivetrain is all good as well.
But the exterior is the problem. The paint is good. The hood is black and peeling clearcoat and rusting with mismatched white scoops.
The passenger's rocker panel is smashed in a little and the door has a hefty dent in it. The front bumper needs to be replaced and the rear one needs repainting.
There are also numerous small dents in the rear passenger quarter panel.
The weather stripping along the windshield frame is going.
The aftermarket radio needs to be reinstalled.
The wheels are old but unmarred.

I know my description makes it sound bad but its really not.
Good news is he's including a ton of spare parts from a camaro he stripped for parts, so that takes care of all the body panels that need to be replaced. The original set of seats(leather ones in there now), a brand new carpet for it, a spare T Top, are the spare parts I know he has, but there's a lot more that he's throwing in there, I just don't know what else there is.

I already know it's a great deal, but what do you guys think?
Oh, and V6 guys, I have no experience with V6's(grew up on V8's),anything I need to know about the engine?

Edit: The reason I'm looking at getting it is to give The Z28 a well deserved rest and get it on jack stands to give it the attention it really needs. Plus if it gets better than 20 MPG I'll be happy.

retardedpenguin
11-28-2009, 10:08 PM
I wouldn't unless it was a good deal, and that isn't.. I paid $1000 for my 95 with mint interior and a decent exterior. If you don't really care about fuel economy and just want another camaro to DD I would go for it, but really you can get a fair Z28 for just a little bit more.

I had a hell of a time getting rid of it for $1600..

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/15/l_081e91dcc15d4034b1577063d64ed68d.jpg
http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/28/l_b50852f6646a46ffb582b2089e9f1cd2.jpg

Sarge_13
11-28-2009, 10:27 PM
I'd stay far far away from a 3.4L. Make sure it has the 3800 in it if you do go ahead with it. A friend of mine had a '96 Camaro with the 3800 and a 5 speed in it and consistently got 25mpg in town and almost 32 on the highway.

Johnny-LT1-runner
11-28-2009, 10:33 PM
I'd stay far far away from a 3.4L. Make sure it has the 3800 in it if you do go ahead with it. A friend of mine had a '96 Camaro with the 3800 and a 5 speed in it and consistently got 25mpg in town and almost 32 on the highway.

I guess I'm in luck, It is a 3800. What's bad about the 3.4?

Sarge_13
11-28-2009, 10:35 PM
I guess I'm in luck, It is a 3800. What's bad about the 3.4?

Leaks oil, dog slow, generally unreliable, etc.

retardedpenguin
11-28-2009, 10:35 PM
Nothing really, but mine did get like 13mpg city and 22 highway. Also mine did leak oil and was slow lol. Very reliable though, also with a 3800 you can go to a junkyard and find a supercharger for it lol.

AronZ28
11-28-2009, 11:03 PM
Nothing really, but mine did get like 13mpg city and 22 highway. Also mine did leak oil and was slow lol. Very reliable though, also with a 3800 you can go to a junkyard and find a supercharger for it lol.

It won't work, that is made for the transversley mounted 3.8 V6's I don't think it would fit under the cowl anyways.

IMO get something more comfortable/practical for a DD. These cars a PITA to get out of with the huge doors and such. Get any sort of GM sedan with a 3800 v6, they are pretty reliable.

Johnny-LT1-runner
11-28-2009, 11:21 PM
It won't work, that is made for the transversley mounted 3.8 V6's I don't think it would fit under the cowl anyways.

IMO get something more comfortable/practical for a DD. These cars a PITA to get out of with the huge doors and such. Get any sort of GM sedan with a 3800 v6, they are pretty reliable.

Lol, junkyard supercharger.

Well, funny story, I rode in my friend's lexus the other day, super luxurious, and I couldn't stand it. I'm just so used to the raw race car feel of an F-body that I actually refuse to ride in anything else, rattles and all. Plus bucket seats can't be beat. :)

AronZ28
11-28-2009, 11:33 PM
Plus bucket seats can't be beat. :)

I don't know about that. The front bench seat in the Caddy has its advantages, mainly in getting nasty with your girl:devil::devil::devil:

stevethepirate
11-29-2009, 03:01 AM
The 3.8 is good for a DD. Mine is a DD in the nice months (still only put 3500-4000 miles on it in a year though). On the highway I get just about 30mpg... and not much less around town.
They can also be modded ;)

lemons12
11-29-2009, 04:36 AM
also with a 3800 you can go to a junkyard and find a supercharger for it lol.
No, you can not.

3.8s are almost bullet proof.

Also, maybe think about a Grand Prix, They are a bit more "comfy" and "nicer" car. But still have the same get up and go and gas mileage. Plus you could get a 4 door. I like the way they look also.

O2Form
11-29-2009, 08:19 AM
My 02 3800 firebird didn't get sheeet for fuel mileage. Only had 40 k on it and completely tuned up and still sucked on gas. My LS1 is MUCH better. On the highway the 3800 isn't bad but if you drive alot of local i wouldn't get it if you think its going to be good on gas.

waltonscott
11-29-2009, 01:05 PM
No, you can not.

3.8s are almost bullet proof.

Also, maybe think about a Grand Prix, They are a bit more "comfy" and "nicer" car. But still have the same get up and go and gas mileage. Plus you could get a 4 door. I like the way they look also.

x2 on the grand prix, pickup a GTP. I've had mine for awhile now, love it. If you start adding power to it you'll have to watch your tranny, but they're a great car. Dirt cheap parts too :) gotta love paying $17 for a rotor :jest:

CrabhartLS1
11-29-2009, 05:27 PM
You can get a GTP for cheap but having driven an 03, I wouldn't. It had no brakes and a million rattles.

I wouldn't get a 3.4, I've heard they're notoriously hard to work on. 3.8's are reliable and fairly easy by comparison.

Maybe look for a 04+ grand prix? You could probably find a few that are pretty damn cheap, don't know about 2k though.

waltonscott
11-29-2009, 06:18 PM
You can get a GTP for cheap but having driven an 03, I wouldn't. It had no brakes and a million rattles.

I wouldn't get a 3.4, I've heard they're notoriously hard to work on. 3.8's are reliable and fairly easy by comparison.

Maybe look for a 04+ grand prix? You could probably find a few that are pretty damn cheap, don't know about 2k though.

Did you have ceramic pads and bigger rotors? might have helped, I had to upgrade mine a bit to get the stoppage I was looking for. 3.8's are a reliable car, the only thing I've had to constantly maintain is the suspension, because after driving my 2.5" lowered TA the GTP felt like a truck :jest: i beat the hell out of it on corners and bumps. They love to eat up wheel bearings and strut mounts :)

Breathing Fire
11-29-2009, 06:33 PM
I had a 95 bird v6 as my first F-body. Liked the car. Did good on gas I had it untill about 160K. Like said above tho it was a pain to work on. Not that it ever needed anything other than the usual tune up stuff. Now I still have my old 97 black bird with a v6. It has over 200k on it and only did a clutch and water pump. Still to this day doesn't burn oil. Still have over 60 psi idle oil pressure. I drive it like I stole it. Why not it has 200k on it. Anyway it has been probably the best most reliable car I have ever had. Shocks are shot to shit and it has a few rattles, but I won't get rid of it till it dies completely. It gets about 35 on the highway and I average 28 usually. I love that car. I bought an 08 grand prix for the winter while my TA is stored, but I find myself driving the bird almost every time. :burn:

SparkyJJO
11-29-2009, 07:20 PM
I just put a 3.42 torsen rear in my 98 V6 A4 (ditched the old open 3.08s). Got 32mpg on the way back on the highway through PA mountains. Not bad, that's my new record so far. Previous was 31. I usually average around 28 with 80% highway 20% city. This is driving it normally though, not like I stole it. If I drive like I stole it, well, those numbers do tend to drop ;) I managed to get only 18 once when I wasn't too nice the whole tank and was almost totally in-town driving :devil: Generally though, for the majority of driving around town I got low 20's.

The 3800 is a good engine, as long as they are taken care of... beat it up too much and don't maintain it and yeah it'll blow up (been there done that with mine when I first got it) but since it was rebuilt 25k ago that shouldn't be an issue for you. They can take a quite a bit if maintained properly however.

BTW, a 95 with a 3800 in it (if it came with it stock and hadn't been swapped in later) is a fairly rare occurrence. Most 95s had the 3400 in them.

sway99bird
11-29-2009, 08:09 PM
Don't mess with the V6 get a M6 V8 and be done with it !

Johnny-LT1-runner
11-29-2009, 08:19 PM
Don't mess with the V6 get a M6 V8 and be done with it !

:jest:Lol, I hope you're kidding.

AronZ28
11-29-2009, 10:27 PM
:jest:Lol, I hope you're kidding.

Why not, prices are pretty cheap for LT1 cars. Just leave it stock and enjoy it.

cambirdracing
11-30-2009, 06:22 AM
Leaks oil, dog slow, generally unreliable, etc.

Not really. I bought my 94 Bird 5 years ago with 165,000 for $2500. I currently has 253,000. Yes the intake did leak oil (had it fixed) and the oil level sensor has a few drips, but doesn't leave spots in the driveway. Dog slow if comparing to a v8. Still gets 26 in the highway. Drive it 110 miles everyday round trip to and from work.

I would offer about 1200 and see what happens.

Oh yea, mine is black and the clear coat started peeling last year. But the car is a commuter car, so looks don't really matter to me.

lemons12
11-30-2009, 07:06 AM

For a DD commuter car, who cares if it stops on a dime?

Fbody has more rattles.

And no, I don't think anyone is kidding about an M6 lt1.. They can be had for around 3 grand in somewhat decent shape if you look around.