Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Why would I need an adjustable torque arm/control arms?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 02:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Why would I need an adjustable torque arm/control arms?

Well, I guess like the title says.
I wanna do a full front and rear control arm upgrade, but any reason(s) why I would need adjustable ones? Do I also need an adjustable torque arm? Thanks.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:36 PM
On The Tree

if you were going to be owrking on something and could have only a 9/16 wrench or and adjustable wrench( crescent ) wich wold you rather have just incase the 9/16 wasn't the excat size......
Old 11-29-2009, 03:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by E-Works
if you were going to be owrking on something and could have only a 9/16 wrench or and adjustable wrench( crescent ) wich wold you rather have just incase the 9/16 wasn't the excat size......
Good point, but still doesn't explain why I would need adjustable control arms or torque arm. The car is lowered and I don't race it. adjustable PHB I understand after lowering, but does the same go for other suspension parts?
Old 11-29-2009, 03:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sound like you would be good without an adj.TA, and you don't need adj RLCA's I've had 2 set of adj. LRCA's and have never needed to adj. them. I'm also lowered and have BMR control arm relocation brackets installed, and I just ordered a set of UMI non-adj. roto-joint LRCA's.

I'd take a look at them.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

And as far as the adjustable Torque Arm, I asked a similar question and got a response from UMI saying that the adjustable torque arm would help with wheel hop and by being able to adjust your pinion angle, which would help with wheelspin on your launches.
I don't get wheel hop and I kinda like wheelspin?
Old 12-02-2009, 10:55 PM
On The Tree

Wheel hop is the bouncing or even "pot hole" feeling you get on a hard launch. It virbrates and abuses your rear-end and drivetrain, because your car is trying to get traction. It can KILL the stock 10-bolt and other components.

Wheelspin is the fact that the tires are spinning instead of grabbing and getting traction. Its fun and we like it, but not while drag racing. You want as much traction and as little wheel hop and wheel spin as possible.

If you've ever raced a FWD car or tried a peel out in one, they wheel hop like it's their intended purpose.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:30 PM
TECH Addict

you should really only need adjustable lca's if you have an aftermarket rear end and need to reposition it slightly. also, the adjustability of lca's is kind of just a bi-product of their design. because they use a commonly available and easily replaceable threaded rod end, it adds the possibility for adjustment. the rod end is what you really want, because it avoids the bind caused by having poly on both sides.

adjustable torque arms help because you can adjust pinion angle.

Quick Reply: Why would I need an adjustable torque arm/control arms?