Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling air bags tonight need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 05:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulling air bags tonight need help

I'm pulling my dash and am pulling the pass. air bag along with cutting out anything that don't need to be their. My question is this, what do I do to get rid of the air bag light from the panel ? I already removed the air bag brain from under the console. I'm just starting to remove the dash to start cutting **** out. What tricks can you guys tell me when I get completly in there ? I want to lighten up as much as possible. This is the last part as I've already done the rest of the interior. Thanks for any help guys!
Old 11-29-2009, 06:45 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by RedHottG2
I'm pulling my dash and am pulling the pass. air bag along with cutting out anything that don't need to be their. My question is this, what do I do to get rid of the air bag light from the panel ? I already removed the air bag brain from under the console. I'm just starting to remove the dash to start cutting **** out. What tricks can you guys tell me when I get completly in there ? I want to lighten up as much as possible. This is the last part as I've already done the rest of the interior. Thanks for any help guys!
You gonna lose the Heat/AC also? Perfect time for that. Turn the air bag light off in the VCM? I don't have a light after removing mine. Be real careful what wires you remove.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:09 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Mark98SS
You gonna lose the Heat/AC also? Perfect time for that. Turn the air bag light off in the VCM? I don't have a light after removing mine. Be real careful what wires you remove.
No nothing like that for now, just removing the pass. air bag and trying to get rid of as much crap as possible since I'm there. Not going to mess with any wiring or anything. I was thinking about just removing the air bag light bulb in the cluster.. Just didn't know if there was a better way. I'm also removing the fuses for the air bags so they don't deploy when I give the car juice again. I'm not doing the drivers side right now because I have heard you need an aftermarket steering wheel which I don't have at the time.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No nothing like that for now, just removing the pass. air bag and trying to get rid off as much crap as possible since I'm there. Not going to mess with any wiring or anything. I was thinking about just removing the air bag light bulb in the cluster.. Just didn't know if there was a better way. I'm also removing the fuses for the air bags so they don't deploy when I give the car juice again. I'm not doing the drivers sise rigght now because I have heard you need an aftermarket steering wheel which I don't have at the time.
what I did on mine was removed the section of the wheel with the air bag. drilled the rivets out and removed the outer skin as well as the plastic casing inside. then drilled the rest of the rivets for the air bag itself and riveted the inner plastic sking and leather cover back on to the metal plate and reinstalled looks factory.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by transamsam98
what I did on mine was removed the section of the wheel with the air bag. drilled the rivets out and removed the outer skin as well as the plastic casing inside. then drilled the rest of the rivets for the air bag itself and riveted the inner plastic sking and leather cover back on to the metal plate and reinstalled looks factory.
Do you have any pics while you were drilling them out by chance???
Old 11-29-2009, 08:41 PM
TECH Resident

unfortunatly I dont I always end up filthy and covered head to toe in grease everytime i head out to the garage and always forget my camera. I also am very bad at exlaining thing online. however once I did mine it looks perfect however I am concerned that someone will push excessivly on it and break the inner plastic one day.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

anyone do this on a street car, and worried if you get in a accident you would get in trouble if some one got hurt, because of no airbag? would like to do this but dont want some bs like that for a few lbs.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:56 PM
TECH Resident

my car is a "street car" I have personally been in 3 car wrecks( i was never the driver always a passenger) and everyone had their seat belts on one wreck the air bags didnt go off everyone was ok another wreck the air bags went of a solid 20 seconds after impact and the third they went of imediatly only during the last 2 did anyone go to the hospital.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by blk96406
Do you have any pics while you were drilling them out by chance???
I just did this, reemove air bag, flip over air bag has a round brum in the center with four rivets. Corefuly drill off heads, remove drum then cut out air bag.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by transamsam98
unfortunatly I dont I always end up filthy and covered head to toe in grease everytime i head out to the garage and always forget my camera. I also am very bad at exlaining thing online. however once I did mine it looks perfect however I am concerned that someone will push excessivly on it and break the inner plastic one day.
I hear ya 'bout the camera........ Ive got the center out- actually been out for about 3 months, been wanting to do this for a while...... I can see "Jeremy luck" kicking while Im drilling it and the f----r goin off in my face!!!!!! hahahahahaha

Looking at the back of it though, did you take the "gas generator" out first (4 rivets) and then the 8 around the outside???
Old 11-29-2009, 09:03 PM
Launching!

I just did this, reemove air bag, flip over air bag has a round brum in the center with four rivets. Corefuly drill off heads, remove drum then cut out air bag.
Right on, you posted up while I was typing my reply.... Im goin out to do it right now.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:04 PM
TECH Resident

I did the 8 around the outside to remove the leather cover firsth then removed the plastic cover. once I did this I cut the bag itself then went back and drilled out the rivets holding the gas generator and then riveted the cover back on. believe me I had the same concern when doing this even though I am unsure if you could set it off that way at all.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:10 PM
Launching!

Ya, still kinda nervous..... hahahahahaha But its good to hear that it CAN be done....... hahahahahahahaha

Ill snap a couple pics as Im doing it, I dont know how to post them though. If someone can post them, I can txt/email from my phone......

Heading out now to give it a shot----
Old 11-29-2009, 09:42 PM
Launching!

Got it done and put back together. Didnt have to cut the bag or anything. If any one needs/wants pics I snapped some on my phone, was actually pretty simple to do. 11/64 and 5/32 drill bit, a center punch and hammer are the only tools I needed.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:58 PM
Banned

I don't remebed having to drill any rivits doing this? You just un bolted the airbag, and the brace. Then put the dash cover back in, they wern't atached or anything. And the abs blow out cover is soild molded in the cover.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mike @ New Era
I don't remebed having to drill any rivits doing this? You just un bolted the airbag, and the brace. Then put the dash cover back in, they wern't atached or anything. And the abs blow out cover is soild molded in the cover.
I (we) were talking about the bag in the center of the steering wheel. I snapped a couple pics, pm me your email and I can forward them to you if you wanna see how I did it-
Old 11-30-2009, 01:06 AM
TECH Regular

Sorry about the spelling mistakes above^^ (was in a hurry). I just got everything back together and all went back like factory. I got both air bags out and a support bracket along with the bracket above the steering colum that's not needed. Also the two brackets at the ends of the dash on the top (they just pull off). I cut the bracket that holds the antenna tube off and put it back on with a self tapping screw and it went back on straight and solid. Cut the back seat belt hump brackets out and back seat belt brackets. Also alot of minor crap here and there. Pulled all the padding under the carpet off (took like two hours). If I can think of more I'll post later.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:15 AM
TECH Regular

After everything was done I got the air bag light and service vehicle light on the cluster. For now I just put black tape over these two lights in the cluster and you can't see them at all. I was wondering if when tuning the car can you have these lights cut off completely ? I might have to ask this in the PCM section but I'll try here first.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:28 AM
TECH Resident

After everything was done I got the air bag light and service vehicle light on the cluster. For now I just put black tape over these two lights in the cluster and you can't see them at all. I was wondering if when tuning the car can you have these lights cut off completely ? I might have to ask this in the PCM section but I'll try here first.

from my understanding the air bag light is controlled by the bcm however the service vehicle light I am unsure of
Old 11-30-2009, 07:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ya thats the BCM, tape, or just braking the bulb off works.